Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Appalled on Ebay >

Appalled on Ebay

Appalled on Ebay

Old 08-27-2011, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by hobbykat1955

Shipping is suppose to be the actual amt of shipping not extra because a person wants more money...That's why on buyers Feedback you have to state if shipping was accurate. If not, your percentage goes down from 100%. People can complain to ebay if they see you are charging more then the actual shipping...and ebay will kick you off.

Actually eBay allows "shipping and handling" and not just "actual shipping".

Best thing to do on eBay in today's market is have free shipping and handling and up the start of the eBay item being sold or make it a BIN for least you'll take for it with shipping. Why? Because eBay is now required by state/federal laws to collect a fee on not just the item but also shipping....total amount a seller asks for and receives from a buyer.

That is how the states/federal collects tax on money funnel through eBay.

Also the advantage of going that route, stating free shipping, the buyer cannot give you any type score for that. eBay automatically makes it excellent feedback for such.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:45 AM

I sell on eBay through my store. Never start so low. It will only take 25 Cent increments and you will never reach the $40.00. If you look in the seller details, it explains how much a bid will increase per the starting price. I learned this the hard way. By the way, what is the machine? I am kind of looking. I know too that $40.00 is just about the right shipping expense. Good luck!
Old 08-27-2011, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
IMHO, shipping consists of more than the price to actually mail the item. It can legitimately include the packing materials, your cost in getting the item to the post office/mailing store, as well as your time in safely packaging the item. Sometimes it's obvious that the seller is trying to make up for a cheap sales price by inflating the shipping charge, but that's not the only reason for a big shipping fee. If I were going to ship a sewing machine, I would be putting a lot of time and effort into safely packing it, and I would feel perfectly justified charging for that.

Exactly!

Buyers need to read what the description says about the item and certainly what the shipping and handling fee is and if it is more than they are willing to pay for it they need to move on and allow those that are willing to pay it to do so.

eBay is a business for most sellers on there today. The days of dumping our garage sell stuff that even our neighbors do not want to buy has been over with for many years on eBay.

eBay became a business to business venue way back in 2001 on.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:54 AM

glad you stood your ground and did not give it to them for nothing!! way to go....
Old 08-27-2011, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1
Candace -- I love your avatar!!!

When we buy on ebay, we look at the buy it now price and if it seems reasonable we go that way instead of bidding.
what is avatar?
Old 08-27-2011, 06:26 AM

...and you meet all kinds, go figure.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:34 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Bon-bon
Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1
Candace -- I love your avatar!!!

When we buy on ebay, we look at the buy it now price and if it seems reasonable we go that way instead of bidding.
what is avatar?
The avatar is the picture that appears to the left of the post with the person's board name.

We're kind of morphing into a discussion of how we think eBay should work and how we use it, which might be valuable to some of the sellers. Let me explain why I don't usually look for long at items with a reserve that hasn't been met. It's just not worth my time to wonder what the reserve is, and there are *always* identical items offered (maybe not that day, but eventually) that don't leave the bottom price to the imagination. It's not quite right to say just figure out what you want to pay and bid. Let's say there are two similar or identical items vying for my bid, both have an entry price of 99 cents, and only one has a reserve. I don't want to bid on both, because I don't want two of this item and I just might win both if I bid on both. If I bid on the one with the reserve, I might lose out even though I'm the high bid. So naturally I will bid on the one without the reserve. Also, if I bid the same amount on both, I might win the one without the reserve for a smaller price. So why would I want to bother with the item with the reserve?

As far as shipping for small items, I don't care if the cost is lumped in with the item's price and listed as free shipping, or if it's listed separately, since eBay lets me sort items by their price plus shipping. However on bigger items I would like to see it separate, since I just might live close by enough to pick it up and avoid shipping, and would prefer to do so if the item might be damaged by shipping.

And when I'm looking for a commodity such as new yardage or rotary blades (although I now get those from Harbor Freight), I always look for someone with the BIN option rather than wait for an auction to be over. When I want stuff, I want it NOW.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:37 AM

One thing people who have never sold anything on ebay don't realize is that shipping is EXPENSIVE! If it won't fit in a flat rate box, or if you need to ship it UPS, it's going to cost a fortune. When I sold on ebay, I always displayed the postage on the shipping label. That way, when the item was received, the customer knew exactly what it cost to ship.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:37 AM

One thing people who have never sold anything on ebay don't realize is that shipping is EXPENSIVE! If it won't fit in a flat rate box, or if you need to ship it UPS, it's going to cost a fortune. When I sold on ebay, I always displayed the postage on the shipping label. That way, when the item was received, the customer knew exactly what it cost to ship.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:42 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BeverlyH
I sell on eBay through my store. Never start so low. It will only take 25 Cent increments and you will never reach the $40.00. If you look in the seller details, it explains how much a bid will increase per the starting price. I learned this the hard way. By the way, what is the machine? I am kind of looking. I know too that $40.00 is just about the right shipping expense. Good luck!
This isn't quite right. If all the bidders just look at the existing bid and bid 25 cents higher, then you're right. However if they bid what they're willing to pay, and let the eBay automatic bidding mechanism do its job, then the bids will go up quickly in value. Example: Minimum bid is 75 cents. Bidder 1 is willing to go up to $10 so he bids $10 maximum. The bid is still at 75 cents. Bidder 2 is willing to go to $15, so he bids $15 maximum. The bid jumps to $10.25 with bidder 2 having the top bid. You can get to $40 in no time if your bidders think $40 is a good price that they are willing to pay. However... if your reserve price is $40, why make them start at a buck? Why not just put it out there as a minimum? Then the guy who only wants to pay $10 will know right away that he needs to continue looking.