Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here) >

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Old 06-14-2012, 11:26 AM

The sun bonnet bells are just beautiful. I love them! Also the ducks are sooo cute.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by dublb View Post
I don't do fusible or needle turn. I cut my shape out of freezer paper & iron it on the fabric. Then I cut my fabric 1/4" bigger then the shape. Next I use school glue & fold the seam allowance over the freezer paper & heat set it w/the iron. (Washable school glue washes out.) I then take the freezer paper off & repress the fold over. I use glue again ta attach the shape onto the background & heat set it again. (On the pillow I just pined it down. I couldn't figure how ta iron that pillow.) Then I either hand sew it on or machine stitch it. A lot of the time I will not sew it down until the whole piece is sandwiched then I will "appliquilt" it down, on the machine. Clear as mud?
I think all three ways are applique!
dublb: How bout a few photos showing us how you do this. I think I will try it, but seeing is better to be sure.

THANKS!!
Old 06-14-2012, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Carsey View Post
dublb: How bout a few photos showing us how you do this. I think I will try it, but seeing is better to be sure.

THANKS!!
Yeah, give me a day or two ta figure out what I want ta do. I'll be happy ta show ya'll how I do it.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by dublb View Post
Yeah, give me a day or two ta figure out what I want ta do. I'll be happy ta show ya'll how I do it.
Thank you, thank you.... can't wait!!
Old 06-15-2012, 10:38 AM
Suz

When satin stitching, it is important to use the right foot. Since the stitching is stacked or raised, you need foot with an opening to allow it to pass under the foot without any resistance. The toes on my foot are at one level and the area right under the needle (or in the middle) is 3/8's of an inch wide or cut out. Clear? I hope so.

Carsey, I'm an organ donor also.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Suz View Post
When satin stitching, it is important to use the right foot. Since the stitching is stacked or raised, you need foot with an opening to allow it to pass under the foot without any resistance. The toes on my foot are at one level and the area right under the needle (or in the middle) is 3/8's of an inch wide or cut out. Clear? I hope so.

Carsey, I'm an organ donor also.
Suz: It is wonderful to meet a sister!!
Old 06-15-2012, 11:21 AM

I love machine appliqueing. If you want a flower on the corner of your quilt, you can stick one there and stitch. Most of my applique is raw edge, but I love doing it. Getting ready to put words on a quilt and trees on another quilt.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:40 PM

Here's the tute I promised. I'm so sorry that it took me so long ta git it done.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...e-t193511.html
I don't know what ta do about those picts that won't show up.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:37 PM

I appliqued my quilt blocks and was so proud...untill after I pieced all of my blocks/strips and noticed that my appliques were coming off. I did not sew them in enough and i also forgot to change the jean needle I was using. Thinking that was part of the reason....I was so mad...instead of pulling them out I am resewing them...I would not recommend doing that. I think I can get away with it since they new look like railroad tracks and also I am making this free as well as paid for the fabric...for a pretty penny...I don't think my cousin will know the difference...or at least that is what my husband says. I now know for next time.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:17 PM
Power Poster

I love app, machine or hand,been doing alot of ma hine lately, after i figured it out.