Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here) >

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Old 09-12-2016, 07:53 AM

I just put an all applique quilt on my bed. I learned from Pat Campbell and it was the best applique class ever. I don't have to make each block 2 or 3 times. The needle turn method is great.
Old 09-12-2016, 04:14 PM

I would love to join the applique club - please include me....applique just seems to be "my thing" and I love the detail of it.....looking forward to future discussions!
Old 09-12-2016, 06:44 PM

I am just now trying my first go round with back basted applique. I really don't like the feel of fused applique, or the heavy stitching around the edges. Wish me luck, as it is going very slowly,...
Old 09-13-2016, 01:35 AM
Suz

I use an old decorative pillow on my lap when I applique or do any handstitching. Use a straight pin to fasten your work to it and it acts as a third hand. (Our ancestor stitchers used a "bird" clamp as a third hand. Some even used a woolen-covered brick.) Pin about 6" or so from where you are stitching. I like the feel of resistance when pulling up my thread and find the project will lay flatter when teasing the edge under. It allows a place to rest your hands and wrists while working. It brings your work closer to your eyes. It acts as a large pin cushion to hold pins, needles, and subsequent small pieces. Sometimes I load 2-3 needles. -- My family knows this is a working pillow and it is mine alone.

One other thing: It is important when pressing applique is to ALWAYS press from the back side. No scrubbing, just the up and down motion. Press into a towel. Pressing from the right side flattens your work too much.

So what have you learned? Please share.
Old 09-13-2016, 04:42 PM

Due to arthritis causing problems when I try needle turn applique, I came up with an alternative method that works just fine for me. Here is the tutorial I did to show How I make it work. I will also post the first project that I used t on.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...d-t240526.html

This is the link to my first applique project. I was really surprised how well my new method worked. Just remember, no steam in the iron.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...d-t240237.html

Last edited by madamekelly; 09-13-2016 at 04:46 PM.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by carolynjo View Post
I just put an all applique quilt on my bed. I learned from Pat Campbell and it was the best applique class ever. I don't have to make each block 2 or 3 times. The needle turn method is great.
Wow!!!!! Lucky you! Pat Campbell was a master.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:19 PM

Unfortunately many of my quilting friends think of applique as a four letter word ...... lol ...... so I have had to rely on whatever tutorials or classes I could find, of course being left-handed does not help either. ( everything I do tends to be backwards) But I have picked up tips here and there ... always press from the back side, watch how you hold your background fabric, not to tight but loose enough so that it could be pulled from your hand. The type of thread you use is also important. Regular piecing thread is usually to thick, 50wt is better, 50wt/2ply is even better and then there is 100wt silk thread. Now with using silk thread, since it is so thin, there is a trick to keeping it from slipping off your needle. You have to make a knot close to the eye of the needle and since the silk thread is so thin it will not interfere with your sewing.
Old 09-14-2016, 03:39 PM

Sync; I too get the thumbs down for saying applique is my favorite quilting technique! I've even been told, 'that's not really quilting'!! Whether it is or isn't I enjoy it!! I enjoy machine applique` and consider it quite an art to get stitches in just the right place in curves, corners, nooks and crannies! ;-)
Old 09-14-2016, 04:49 PM

I am so glad to find this chat. I love needle turn applique and currently I am working on another quilt that has pieced center and only the borders are appliqued. It will be a while till I am done with it.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:55 PM

I absolutely Love applique. Needle turn with YLI silk thread is my go to method. Also, have tried several others with good results, too.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-23-2018 at 11:46 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps