Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here) >

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Old 10-30-2019, 03:57 AM

Hi Nanna, glad to hear your all settled back in your winter home. Love your new block. I just saw a LBB quilt that won ribbons at a quilt show. It was beautiful. I've got a few stitches left on my block #6 on the Bouquets for a New Day. Somehow, my applique blocks look done. I'm considering making a wall hanging with the 6 blocks. My spot in the dining room that I want to hang it isn't that big. And it may be time to start my next hand applique project. Although I am planning to hand quilt my wall hanging.
Old 10-30-2019, 04:07 AM

Thanks, Sewingitalltogether. I'm planning on hand quilting my LBB when it's time, as well. I've always loved hand quilting and this quilt feels like it's worth the time and effort. I'm very slow at hand quilting so that will make this quilt's finish even longer. Oh well. I keep saying I need to get this quilt done before I die, not that I'm planning that any time soon. But, I'm not getting any younger.

I look forward to seeing your Bouquets for a New Day wall hanging. I'm sure it will be beautiful.
Old 11-18-2019, 04:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
The move is done and I'm back working on my blocks. Here's the before and after embellishing for block #33. I hope to get them all done by the end of the year. I don't know if I will make it.
Really nice work, you really can bring quilt to life!!
Old 06-17-2020, 12:34 PM

Smile Pointy Points and Back Basting tutorials on the old Dear Jane thread

Originally Posted by janedee View Post
any lessons on points on hand turned applique most welcome!! I seem to do them a different way each time and can never get them really sharp - so count me in on anything to do with applique as it is my most favourite method of sewing
Applique Points

I haven't been on in years but my applique pointy points from the Dear Jane quilt along can still be found on quiltingboard at the above address. There are clear photos available by download (PDF) and a not so clear version of back basting the way I learned it a long time ago. I've been told it's "backwards" by some purists but it works for me. If I can be of assistance, I'll try not to be such a stranger.
Old 06-17-2020, 12:38 PM

Applique Points

JudyG, I think I quoted the wrong person...pointy points photos and explanations can be found on the old Dear Jane thread. I did a couple videos for people, too but if I remember correctly it was about the basket block handles (combination of pieced and applique). I'd have to look for it but I know pointy points are PDFs for download and really sharp photos since my husband took them for us and then combined all of them on one document. I hope this helps and will try to pop in from time to time since I've been absent so long. Please feel free to message if you have questions.
Old 04-16-2021, 06:54 AM

I’m working on a medallion quilt that will have a hand sewn vine appliqué in the second to last border and a pieced final border (with appliqué blocks in the corners. My question is sew on both borders, then do the vine or sew the vine on its border, trim, then attached the final pieced and appliqués border?

Also, would you do a mitered corner for the background of the vine border? I was going to miter the corners but realized that the top/bottom measure 40.5 inches. Without metering, I won’t need to piece that border; with mothering, I will.
Old 04-16-2021, 08:05 AM
mac

Originally Posted by SuzSLO View Post
I’m working on a medallion quilt that will have a hand sewn vine appliqué in the second to last border and a pieced final border (with appliqué blocks in the corners. My question is sew on both borders, then do the vine or sew the vine on its border, trim, then attached the final pieced and appliqués border?

Also, would you do a mitered corner for the background of the vine border? I was going to miter the corners but realized that the top/bottom measure 40.5 inches. Without metering, I won’t need to piece that border; with mothering, I will.
I have done a medallion quilt with a vine border and I found it easier to work with the border by itself and then attach it to the main quilt. You didn't mention how large your quilt is, but mine was a queen-sized quilt. Working with all that material is really difficult when you are appliqueing. Just make sure that you have extra length and width in the border because it may shrink a bit after you finish appliqueing.
Old 04-16-2021, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by mac View Post
I have done a medallion quilt with a vine border and I found it easier to work with the border by itself and then attach it to the main quilt. You didn't mention how large your quilt is, but mine was a queen-sized quilt. Working with all that material is really difficult when you are appliqueing. Just make sure that you have extra length and width in the border because it may shrink a bit after you finish appliqueing.
The quilt will be about 60”x 66”. And the vine border will be 48”x54”. The vine continues around the corners and crosses in the center of the border, so if I attach the border after appliquing it will be easiest to have the border seams at or near the center on each side where one vine stops and the other starts. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 04-16-2021, 10:47 AM

I am just doing some raw edge applique on a little wall hanging to practice using some of my features on my new Bernina 590. I have been playing with the "hover" function which makes it easy to turn the fabric with the needle down in the fabric and mirroring the blanket stitch. I have also been learning some of the stitches programmed into the machine like the triple straight stitch. I am learning that there are a lot of stitches I probably had on previous machines but never used. Sure glad I traded in the troublesome 570 for this 590. It sure is working better. Next up, I am going to try using the BSR for free motion quilting and also going to try a bit of embroidery.
Old 04-17-2021, 09:06 AM

I'm so glad to see this thread going again. I believe Craftybear started it in 2010. I'm still working on my Woodland Creatures pattern. I'm quite sure this thread is open to all appliquers'. I've been reading since it started and have learned some very useful tips. Have also seen some beautiful pictures from beginners to masters and all in between.
Let's enjoy talking again!