Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here) >

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Old 09-17-2019, 03:58 AM

I think I know what you mean. It turned out very nice.

I got the next 3 blocks on my LBB traced onto the background last night but no sewing. This next set is all fruits in wreaths and baskets. I hope to start one tonight.
Old 09-17-2019, 04:00 AM

Can't wait to see, your blocks are amazing.

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post

I got the next 3 blocks on my LBB traced onto the background last night but no sewing. This next set is all fruits in wreaths and baskets. I hope to start one tonight.
Old 09-17-2019, 01:44 PM

Okay, I didn't see how to subscribe at settings either. But, it you look at the top of the page here, you'll see 'Thread Tools'. Click on that and an option is to subscribe to this thread. Click on that.
I found it. Thank you.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:48 AM

Thank you, Kassaunder. Glad you found it, Polly T.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:21 AM

What do you use to mark your backgrounds? I use the blue washout marker but it still makes me uneasy.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:25 AM

The blue washout marker leaves a line too fat for my applique. I need a very thin sharp line so I use the Frixion pens. I know that they will come back in the cold but I sew my applique piece to barely cover the line so it will never be a problem for me. Even if the line comes back, it would only appear as a framework for the stitching. I know one fabulous applique stitcher that sews a line of embroidery around every one of her pieces so the frixion faint line would look just like that.

The smaller the pieces, the thinner and finer the line needs to be. The block I'm working on now has 51 pieces in a 8" square so those are pretty small applique pieces. All these LBB blocks will be 8" square finished.

I don't mark a line on my applique pieces. If I'm overlapping something, I make a clear plastic overlay so I can line things up. And then, I leave my template piece pinned to the fabric applique piece so I can turn it under perfectly. I know my methods might not work the same for everyone. We all have to adjust and perfect our techniques. But it works for me and I keep working at getting better and better.
Old 09-26-2019, 05:47 AM

I got another block done, Yeah! This is block #29, wreath of strawberries. I forgot to take the before embellishing picture so this is just the after one. I found a fabric that had strawberries on it and I swear, that fabric matched the size for the berries exactly.

The second picture is block #32, crown of strawberries. I did this one last summer and used a different fabric for the berries. I don't know which one I like better but I'm not going to take anything out to make them the same fabric. It is what it is.

I'm skipping block #30 until I get back to the winter house. It has a basket made of braided thread/cord/yarn/something, and I need to figure out what I'm going to use for that. I have a lot of 'stuff' back at the winter house to choose from. So, I'm working on #31 at the moment. It's a dilly! It's going to take me some time on it.

Hope you enjoy seeing these.
Attached Thumbnails lbb-29.jpg   lbb-32.jpg  
Old 09-26-2019, 01:38 PM

Very nice. I'm still plugging away one stitch at a time. Have been in my sewing room. Purging, so I could get in there. And now trying to get my Judy Neimeyer Vintage Rose to the point that I can take it to my retreat October 8-9-10. OMG I can't remember a time when I did so much ripping out!! It's stitch a little, rip a little.
Old 09-27-2019, 06:18 AM

Nana - I thoroughly enjoy looking at your blocks. I have the book so I know the amount of work you are putting into these blocks. Please keep posting. Thank you!
Old 09-27-2019, 07:00 AM

My seam ripper is my friend, Sewingitalltogether. And there's one in several places. I always say, if you have your seam ripper, you might not need it. If you don't have it, you'll need it for sure.

I'll keep posting, Mojo11. I'm so excited to be this far along. I thought I'd be able to get this quilt made in 5 years time but the 5 years has come this summer. Maybe that's what's inspired me to get back at it and get it done.