Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 40 49 50
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 1250

Thread: Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Suz
    There seems to be only a few of us participating in this thread on applique. Are there any thoughts about starting a new thread and perhaps interest a few other "appliquers"? We could name it "Applique Club Chapter 2".

I agree. There doesn't seem to be much interest in the applique club. But, do you think more would be interested if it's the same name? Maybe something like 'applique help' or 'applique sharing'. I'm new to the group so do what you think is appropriate.
    --- Jean

jdquilts123.blogspot.com

I agree, too. I’m new to quilting and would also like to learn to appliqué.

Quote Originally Posted by PollyT View Post
    I agree, too. I’m new to quilting and would also like to learn to appliqué.
    Ask away, PollyT. I'd be happy to try and answer any questions you might have. I've been appliqueing for many years !
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-11-2019 at 02:24 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    --- Jean

jdquilts123.blogspot.com

I'm interested. I purchased an embroidery machine earlier this year and would like to do some applique with it as well. I've embroidered a few things but would love to do more applique. Count me in. I think I've read all the previous posts.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharonquilts View Post
    I'm interested. I purchased an embroidery machine earlier this year and would like to do some applique with it as well. I've embroidered a few things but would love to do more applique. Count me in. I think I've read all the previous posts.
    Doing this here on the applique thread is fine. IMHO, emb machine applique is a special technique and you might find more help in the Machine Embroidery forum here on the QB https://www.quiltingboard.com/machine-embroidery-f28/
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I think QNan is right, Sharonquilts. I'm pretty sure that the applique club here is mostly for hand work. But, I'm a newby to the group so I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

I've done so many kinds of applique in the past but really love the needle turn method the most. I'm working on the quilt, the Little Brown Bird currently and that one is a beast with 40 blocks of very intricate designs. I'd like to finish it up and have been working fast and furious this summer to get as much done as I can. I've been working on this quilt for 5 years now. I had figured it would take that long but it's taking longer. So, I'll keep working and posting my pictures of the blocks.
    --- Jean

jdquilts123.blogspot.com

Thank you nana-up-north. I’m getting ready to try a Disappearing Nine Patch but will find a simple applique pattern and alternate between the two. I’ll probably have plenty of questions.

Blog Entries

Appliqué club

Quote Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
    I agree. There doesn't seem to be much interest in the applique club. But, do you think more would be interested if it's the same name? Maybe something like 'applique help' or 'applique sharing'. I'm new to the group so do what you think is appropriate.
    Maybe have a hand appliqué group and a machine appliqué group. I’m afraid I have been a lacker. My son is end stage kidney disease and I’m his caretaker. Pretty overwhelming and as soon as we get over one major hurtle another one jumps up and hits us in the face. I just ordered the Caswell quilt pattern to challenge myself. I’ve done quite a bit of hand appliqué but I feel so inadequate when I see some of the work on Facebook. I’m sure I will have questions once I begin. Please don’t think there isn’t an interest. Unfortunately, life gets in the way and hobbies are sometimes the first things to be set aside. I’m enjoying what I’m seeing in this group.

Well, I'm happy to see that there is still some interest. You are right, cactusmama, life does get in the way at times and we have to always keep family first. So sorry that you are dealing with a sick son.

But, when you and Polly are ready, just ask your questions. I'm sure there will be people to answer any questions and give opinions. I know I'm good at that. I look forward to seeing what you both pick for projects.
    --- Jean

jdquilts123.blogspot.com

I’m fairly new to appliqué and have decided that needleturn is my method of choice. I’ve played with the several different ways of doing it and love reading through the different posts. Being new, I don’t have much to contribute but I would hate to see the thread disappear. One thing I am searching for is patterns other than flowers or birds. Problem is, I really don’t know what I do want! I’m taking a class in Houston this year on reverse appliqué and starting to get very excited about it.

The block I'm working on at the moment is reverse applique. I kinda like doing it but this one is fussy.

Well, twhvir, I find that coloring books or pages from the internet give me lots of applique ideas, the simpler the better.
    --- Jean

jdquilts123.blogspot.com

Super Member sewingitalltogether's Avatar
    Twhvlr, oh am I jealous! Houston!! I would love to go to the Houston show and take a class. Maybe someday. Who are you taking a class with?
    I work on my hand applique about an hour a day. In the evening. It's very soothing and brings me great joy.

I’m taking a class from Dena Rosenberg. I wanted one from Karen Kay Buckley but those classes were filled up within an hour of open enrollment! My sister (in Ohio) and I (Colorado) go to some quilt shows together every year. We can share the cost that way and if becomes much more affordable. If you ever get the chance, Houston show is just wonderful. My favorite of all the ones we’ve been to. Paducah would be next on the list.
    Coloring books are a great idea. I’ll be on the lookout.

I’ve never thought about looking in coloring books. I have several. Thanks for the suggestion.

Oh yes! Coloring books are the best. And, the basic ones for younger kids are the ones I look for.

I designed a lap quilt from a turn of the century Audubon coloring book and called this, "seasons of Audubon". The smaller squares are a printed fabric that I found on a shop hop. But, the seasons are all hand applique using the needle turn method. I do a lot of embellishing, too.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --- Jean

jdquilts123.blogspot.com

Nana-up-North, your quilt is beautiful. I know simple is best but I love Jacobean or William Morris designs. Maybe I can find a coloring page that can be reduced to “simple”.

Thanks, PollyT. Yes, you can simple things down pretty easily. I often google a topic's images when I'm trying to find something to applique. I really want to make a lap quilt featuring orchids to enter in our orchid show next spring so I just googled orchid images/coloring pages and got a ton of pictures that will work just fine. So, now I need to get it started. I've already traced the image to a background. I'm really excited to see what you find that you want to applique.
    --- Jean

jdquilts123.blogspot.com

I'm going to pat my own back here tonight because I've reached a goal on my LBB. There are 40 blocks with extreme applique. I've been working on this for 5 years and yes, I do admit that I've not worked on it much the last couple of years. I've really been working very hard on it this summer. But......... drum roll here......

I finished block #28 today. I'm ready to start the last row of blocks and I have one of those already done. So, I have 11 blocks to go and I can start putting this quilt top together..... Yeah!

The first picture is the before embellishment and the second is after embellishment. Okay, I'm ready to start on the next group of 4 blocks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

--- Jean

jdquilts123.blogspot.com

Super Member sewingitalltogether's Avatar
    Very nice!! Great colors. Love the embroidery.

Thanks, Sewingitalltogether.
    --- Jean

jdquilts123.blogspot.com

Beautiful block......as they all are.

This thread has been going for 9 years. Why do you ladies want to change it?

Thanks, Mojo11. You are very sweet.

I'm pretty new to the thread but do enjoy posting pictures as I get these blocks done. So, when I found this, I started posting the blocks that I've been doing this summer. I really had to hunt to find it. Not many people stop by to look at things here. Perhaps I should be putting my blocks in the pictures section. I'm not sure if that's the case.

But, I don't think people want to change the thread. I think they wish there were more people that would stop by. Maybe applique isn't as popular now days. Or, people don't have questions that they need to ask. I'm not sure why. But, when I was out of town and not able to connect here for 2 weeks, this thread got buried again and I had to go back 12 pages to find it. There just isn't a lot of action here.
    --- Jean

jdquilts123.blogspot.com

I used to post on this thread regularly. I do machine applique' also called raw edge. I also have an embroidery machine so there are some applique' designs that I have done w/it but never posted those here. Needle turn is beyond me. I have used freezer paper to do a faux needle turn method. I use the ladder stitch when I do that.
    Anyway I have subscribed to this thread & get e-mails to let me know when someone posts here. It is easier to locate this thread when I go to Settings (in the top right hand corner) & then click on 'view all Subscribed Treads.' Hmmm maybe I need to go & clean out my subscriptions. There are a ton of old subscriptions in there.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; Today at 05:56 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 40 49 50