Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
applique question >

applique question

applique question

Old 12-12-2019, 02:39 PM
Power Poster

Default applique question

I've wanting to make the quilt on the cover of JA"s last Christmas. it's round ornaments all in rows. so i spent a fortune on Christmas fabrics. now i want to start. I've done a lot of applique. at first all needle turn. then onto, the type where you put a piece of fabric/fabric softener sheet on the back, sew around the edge, put a slice in the back, and turn it inside out. then either hand or machine applique it on. also, and it took me awhile to master iron on, wonder under, the fabric, and zig zag the edges one. so, i really haven't washed one done that way, with the wonder under. what are your experiences, and what do you think i should do for this quilt. i tried to put a file here. don't know if it works or not. thank you all and have a wonderful holiday.

https://www.joann.com/how-to-make-a-...913746P26.html
Old 12-12-2019, 03:39 PM
Power Poster

Oh that’s a wonderful quilt. I think the method of using the interfacing stitched around, then slit and turned would work best, or even a fusible batting, which would give the bulbs some loftier definition. I would use the battingmaybe cut 1/3” smaller than the circles & fold the edges in then press to the background and stitch in place.
Old 12-12-2019, 04:12 PM

When I use the fusible method I use the lightweight stuff. Cut your piece slightly larger than the ball and then trim away about 1/4 inch inside of the cut line before pressing to the back of your fabric. This will keep your appliqué soft. I usually use a blanket stitch or zigzag. They will wash nicely
Old 12-12-2019, 04:13 PM

I'm not sure how large the shapes that you will turn are, but I've read that the bulk is reduced if a lot of the fabric/dryer sheet is cut away after you've turned and pressed. As long as the outline is good most of what is on the back serves no purpose.
Old 12-12-2019, 06:18 PM
Power Poster

i think i'll do my ornaments about 6". So, i've never washed any applique i've done by machine. This machine does not have a blanket stitch, so i use a zig zag, not to wide. You think it will hold up if i iron it on, and not do it by hand?
Old 12-12-2019, 06:50 PM

If you are asking if the Raw Edge Applique method (Wonder Under on the back, fuse it down, zigzag around the edges) will hold up in the wash, absolutely yes. I did my second daughter's baby quilt with this method and it's now 3 years old, been washed countless times on hot and dried in the dryer on normal heat and it's totally fine. Remember that Raw Edge will fray a tiny bit around the edges of the appliques, but with the zigzag, this is very minimal. I used a small zigzag, and a shorter stitch length but definitely nowhere near looking like a satin stitch. It's still very clearly a zigzag. I love Raw Edge because it's much faster for me, and now that I have a machine that does blanket stitching, I do find that the blanket stitch doesn't require any kind of stabilizer to avoid puckering, but I think it will fray a little more than the zigzag. If you care about the zigzag pulling the background fabric in towards the applique, you can back it with a water soluble adhesive stabilizer (Solvy makes one that comes on a roll) though honestly, once you wash the quilt, you wouldn't even notice it. Just depends on how much it would bother you
Old 12-12-2019, 10:21 PM

I have a friend who uses the Wonder Under. Then she does a buttonhole stitch by hand with a single thread of embroidery thread. Depending on the size of the appliqué piece she varies the width of the stitch. She places the stitches about 1/16” apart. Looks beautiful.
Old 12-13-2019, 04:36 AM

I like your idea with using interface, slit in back, turn right side out.

I was taught to straight stitch around design, then trim close to stitching. Satin zig-zag stitch using straight stitch in the center.

I place newspaper underneath what I am sewing to help things go smoothly, then tear it away.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]620858[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]620859[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails applique-up-close.jpg   applique-quilt.jpg  
Old 12-13-2019, 04:53 AM
Power Poster

Circles are, IMHO, the easiest of all applique. I have done hundreds and in my experience the easiest way to make them is to make a template. I use watercolor paper which is like card stock but you can also buy mylar template plastic that is heat resistant. Make your 6" circle out of the template. Cut your fabric circles at least 1/2" larger but I prefer about 3/4" larger or even a full 1" larger. Do a loose running stitch around the outside of your fabric circle. I usually make my stitches around 1/2". Leave long tails on your running stitch tread for pulling. Place template on wrong side of fabric and grab both those thread tails and pull the fabric taut around the template and press with a hot iron. I then remove the template and give them a quick spray of starch and go to my next one. When my next one is done I go back to the starched one I just did and give it another press with the iron. Works great and you always get nice smooth edges on your circles. I then hand sew them to my background squares using an applique stitch and silk thread. Made this quilt using that method. My circles finish at 5". [ATTACH=CONFIG]620863[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails asian-quilt.jpg  
Old 12-13-2019, 10:37 AM

I've tried all the methods discussed and Feline Fanatic's way is exactly how I do it now, except I use heat-resistant Templar instead. I tried the "used dryer sheets" method and it nearly made me sick; despite being used there were still chemicals in the sheets.