Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Argh - I still can't decide... >

Argh - I still can't decide...

Argh - I still can't decide...

Old 11-11-2011, 07:42 AM

Default Argh - I still can't decide...

One of the guilds I belong to is hosting a quilt retreat this weekend. I signed up to go back in March or April, paid my fee, but never got around to reserving a hotel room - and resort is now sold out as it is a holiday weekend.

The guys were supposed to come with me as it is at a nice beach resort about 3 hours from here depending on traffic. Then we got the hockey schedule and Gus is playing 3 games at home (which is actually fortunate as the dogsitter isn't available this weekend anyway).

So now I'm torn (and the car is not packed...). I couldn't take the day off work as I was out last week with the 5th grade field trip. So I could leave around 6, and get in around 9 (to an alternate hotel - which doesn't really worry me, I travel for work so am used to staying in hotels) and stay the weekend...

I could get up early tomorrow, drive 3 hours each way and just stay the day - would still have about 8-10 hours of useful quilting time. Or I could leave early in the morning and spend the night, thus saving at least one hotel night and getting two days of quilting time...

Or I could skip the retreat and use the $$ towards a better chair for my sewing space, and go see my son play hockey... I'm not worried about losing the registration fee, it was reasonable, and less than what gas would cost both ways (not to mention food and housing... and the inevitable shopping). I doubt I'll get much done at home this weekend as I'll end up running out to the hockey games.

I like the folks in the guild but don't have any strong friendships there yet as I have frequent cub scout conflicts with the guild meetings.

Argh. Even typing all this out, I still can't make up my mind...

K
Old 11-11-2011, 07:47 AM

Go - soem of my dearest friends and best friendships have come form sewing together for hours - its an expirence you will never regreat (I would stay the night) and sew all day
Old 11-11-2011, 07:49 AM
Power Poster

Boy I see your dilemma but truthfully if you're this undecided: I'd stay home, get the chair you need and spend the day quilting instead of driving.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:53 AM

i agree with joyce - get the chair & stay home & quilt all day.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:04 AM

I too would get the chair and stay home. Go watch your son's game. They grow up too fast! Then sew later in the evening!
Old 11-11-2011, 08:09 AM

I agree -- you would probably not be happy missing your son's game so you would not enjoy the retreat anyway.

Originally Posted by traveler53 View Post
I too would get the chair and stay home. Go watch your son's game. They grow up too fast! Then sew later in the evening!
Old 11-11-2011, 08:16 AM

My sticking point would be missing my son's games. My son plays soccer and my husband and I really enjoy ourselves at the games.

If that's not such a big deal to you, then I say go. I did the same thing you did a few years ago - there were meetings and retreats that I'd skip because I didn't know the other members of the group very well, and there was always a scheduling conflict of some kind. Then I decided I needed a break from my life and actually went on one of the retreats. I had SO MUCH FUN and made SO MANY FRIENDS!!! Don't ignore the impact of spending a few hours with some like-minded girlfriends. There is nothing else that rejuvenates me so well.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Digitizingqueen View Post
Go - soem of my dearest friends and best friendships have come form sewing together for hours - its an expirence you will never regreat (I would stay the night) and sew all day
I generally travel several times a year to scrapbook retreats and definitely value the friendships I've made amongst my scrapbook friends, which is why the retreat is appealing to me as it is the first quilting retreat I've been able to put on my calendar since starting to quilt.

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
I agree -- you would probably not be happy missing your son's game so you would not enjoy the retreat anyway.
Well... this is Gus's third year playing, and by the third game last weekend, I was wishing I was somewhere other than at an ice rink... I do enjoy watching him, and the parents are fun to be with - but there is no shortage of games to watch. He plays every weekend this month, 2 weekends next month, and then starting the 2nd week in January has games every weekend through the beginning of March. Life in our household revolves around ice rinks for the next few months.

Originally Posted by Joyce888
Boy I see your dilemma but truthfully if you're this undecided: I'd stay home, get the chair you need and spend the day quilting instead of driving.
And this is really the heart of the problem for me... I'm by nature a shy person, and have talked myself out of some wonderful activities in the past, but have also found that pushing myself out of my comfort zone can also have great results (total aside - in college I was accepted to the Disney College Program for a summer - the day before heading out to Orlando, I nearly called and quit the program. 20+ years later, I still have strong friendships that I would have missed if I hadn't taken that risk). And DH is no help whatsoever. He won't stop me from going (understands the value of "me time" to the family, but also isn't pushing me out the door and packing the car for me...

Cheers, K
Old 11-11-2011, 08:50 AM

Oh, for goodness sake's, GO. It sounds like you really want to, but just need a push. You'll have pelnty of hockey games left, your DH isn't objecting. You'll have a great time & make new friends. Remember Disney. LOL Wish I could come & pack the car for you.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:35 AM
Power Poster

i wouldn't have as much fun not staying in the same hotel as the others. and there are too many good reasons to stay home