Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Asked another way, what to do with all this fabric >

Asked another way, what to do with all this fabric

Asked another way, what to do with all this fabric

Old 06-25-2016, 04:35 AM

Since it will be hanging on a wall, make something that is a show stopper; like Hollow Cubes. That is really easy if you make half blocks and sew the half blocks into rows, then sew the rows of half blocks together. Look in Pictures and find Cat-on-a-mac's sticky. Look under Tumbling Blocks for a picture of that. It uses triangles in all the centers.
Other optical illusions can be fun, too.

Last edited by maviskw; 06-25-2016 at 04:39 AM.
Old 06-25-2016, 04:35 AM

If you are considering a sampler, check this out: http://www.thesplendidsampler.com/bl...onus-projects/ The patterns are all free (for now). I was just going to look because I have too many UFO's...........I now have 4 blocks finished, downloaded several more, and anxiously waiting for the new blocks to come out every week. Good luck, your fabric is beautiful.
Old 06-25-2016, 04:44 AM

Perhaps Hobo Rails by Dragonfly Fiber Art. The pattern is for a table runner but it can easily be enlarged to showcase all of your beautiful fabrics.
Old 06-25-2016, 04:44 AM

Yes! I see another suggested a bargello. Those are so pretty on a wall. Trip Around the World is similar, of course.
Old 06-25-2016, 06:51 AM

If it is a wall hanging your after, why not do any applique wall hanging. McKenna Ryan comes to mind, or Joan Statz. Fun to make and you could incorporate many of these fabrics.
Old 06-25-2016, 06:52 AM

I do think a medallion style would be good for a wall hanging. If you like more modern styles, take a look at Elizabeth Hartman's Aviatrix quilt. It would look great with the fabric that you've posted.
Old 06-25-2016, 06:53 AM

Your fabric is beautiful! And congratulations on having such an understanding and loving and generous DH!

Someone posted a photo of a quilt called "Walk in the city" recently, which you could use a lot of different fabrics to make--the block is one big square and four little squares (I think), turned different ways. It's very modern, very striking and pretty, and I think would make a great large wall hanging (and I don't normally even like hanging full quilts as decor).
Old 06-25-2016, 09:26 AM

The pattern that came to mind immediately was a "Jewel box quilt". You could use a white, beiges, pastel, or dark main fabric to show off all of those jewels.
Old 06-25-2016, 03:56 PM

What I would do first with all this?...Hug it, pet it, drool over it! haha Seriously though, you have some beautiful fabric.
Old 06-25-2016, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
The pattern that came to mind immediately was a "Jewel box quilt". You could use a white, beiges, pastel, or dark main fabric to show off all of those jewels.
Thanks! I've actually done one! With cartoon colors on grey, LOL. This is the best pic I have handy. But another one would be fun. I do have several nieces who need quilts.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]552848[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails goodorbadsmall.jpg