Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Attitudes towards young quilters

We have two new stores in our city that were started by young women who are so interesting and interested in good customer relations. They are out there.

I encourage you to stick with the quilting. I enjoy having young people in the group. We need to have young quilters to encourage businesses that quilting will never die. And I even get excited by seeing young people enjoying the love of quilting. One lady in our group brings her 10 year old granddaughter.....I always make it a point to chat with her and see what she is making.

I expanded into quilting in my late 20's (have been sewing since I was 10) and I was by far the young one in anything that I attended at that point. Yes, quilting groups can be clinky but I have found so much inspiration and feed off the energy of the group that in my experience, the good outweigh the bad. I just joined a new group in 2012 and I have not made any new friends but the energy and renewed sense of getting projects done makes the group well worth my time.

I get discouraged by other people in my life (young and old) that talk about they can't sew a button on something blah, blah, blah and how nuts I am for making quilts.....blah, blah, blah. So I love to hear when young people talk about how they love quilting. I would be hunting you out and chatting with you!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Honestly in my guilds and sewing groups when we get a new person, we can tell in no time if the person is serious about quilting, want to be the quilt police, play the group victim, or will contribute to the group. Age has nothing to do with it.
    Got fabric?

Quote Originally Posted by JulieR View Post
    Definitely don't give up -- maybe you could start a group of your own!
    My quilt guild has a group for young quilters your age!

I dont think its your age..(im 54).....I only recently (last couple of years) found a group that i was comfortable with, up till then i just did my own thing. We have a young lady (mid 20's) that will join us a couple times a year and everyone in my group is just gaga over her -everyone is offering her advice/help if she needs it. We love to see young people into quilting, to know that the craft will continue and to appreciate what the older ones leave behind. Don't give up - you can join us anytime :-)
    Pam H.

"Those that mind, don't matter and those that matter don't mind" ~ Dr. Seuss

Blog Entries
    I think this is true or many people from 20 to 90. Quilt groups seem to be very clickey. Certain people know each other and make a beeline for each other or come together. When you are not pushy individual then you have trouble mixing in these groups. Just think you are there for the speaker to learn the chat comes in time when your ace be omes more familiar. Offer to make tea or drink. This way you meet early every one and they all have to alk to you.
    Finished is better than a UFO

PLEASE dont give up! I am in 3 groups at the moment. One group I stopped going going to due to family time conflicts and I just didnt' feel like I clicked with that group. That was more MY fault than theirs as I was not there consistently and didnt' have the time to devote to the the projects they were doing. One of the groups I started. Being an former AF brat, I talk to EVERYONE (just ask my family! You never know when you will have to up and move, so you BETTER make friends QUICK! lol) I would meet someone at the quilt shop or even in a coffee shop if I was working on a binding. You never know where you will meet someone who quilts! (Ask me how I know!!) If you find some one you DO click with, ask them if they know a welcoming group. There are alot of groups out there that are not guild related, so don't count that out either. ONly one of mine is a guild group. There are pros and cons on both sides.

Finally, you might search your area on this group and see if there are any quilters from around you that are members here. You might be able to start a local Quilting board group. (PS WOMEN are sometimes hard nuts to crack! I have been known to coccoon in my sewing room to be alone. Don't let a few crabby ones force you to quilt alone all the time.)
    Beth in AZ
    www.bzyqltr.blogspot.com
    Innova 22' with Lightning Stitch and Pantovision
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

I have no plans on giving up. That was never an option. I love it far too much.

Chiclet - I've gotten the whole "age appropriate" thing many times. I'm a history lover/ student so I enjoy going to antique store and listening to really old music (plus of bunch of other things). I love to knit and crochet. I also ballroom dance and that has sometimes that's been thought of as something "only old people do". And then I quilt. I've had people my age tell me I act like an old lady. And I'm honestly ok with that. haha

I have yet to find a quilter my own age. The closest I've met face to face to is a women who had to be in her late 20s, early 30s (and I only met her once). You think it would be easy finding at least one person in a university full of people who quilts.

Like everyone else has said... do not give up on finding a group that "fits".
    I'm fairly new to quilting and have found part of the process is being with other quilters. While internet groups are wonderful, it's also good to have face to face quilting friends.

I expressed an interest in learning handquilting to a friend and was invited to join a group that that's their main focus. First time I go, I'm told in no uncertain terms "we are a strict hand-quilting only group". I'm sittin' there thinking, whoa this isn't the place for me. As I want to learn all techniques. Then, low and behold, a couple pull me aside and say.. that's not true. As I sit and do my thing, listening to the various conversations I quickly learned who was open minded and who wasn't. Still, I enjoy being with this group (the one crumudgen is a lesson in patience for me).

So consider starting your own group, but do not give up on time with other quilters.

I wish there were more younger quilters out there..luckily one of my 7 daughters is interested, and I hope noone ever discourages her!~!

I don't think it is your age. It's been a long time since I was a young quilter, but I still feel like an outsider sometimes. It seems like forming new friendships gets harder as time goes on. I don't have a lot of quilting friends, 2 to be exact, but that doesn't stop me. I don't mind quilting alone at home, so that's what I do. Keep it up and enjoy the journey.
    Sue

If it is your age - it's probably not your quilting capabilities, it's your life experience! If you are not married, don't have kids or grandkids, then you don't have the experience to discuss what they are interested in besides quilts!

I have the same problem - I'm simply not interested in life experience, find most of the conversation to be gossip.
    I'd rather argue about rooting a cell phone, technology, astronomy, cars, than family and life. Since I won't gossip or communicate any personal stuff, I don't bond.

Most of us love younger quilters. We try to involve aslant as possible. Don't let a few spoil it for you.
    Wayne & Gabriele, the married quilters.

Quote Originally Posted by tyoung View Post
    Totally agree here. In our town we have a guild too, and as a new quilter I was hoping to learn from this group of women. I was close to 40, but my age wasn't the problem. It was because I was new. They were not interested in helping a newbie nor were they accepting of newcomers. I quilt going too, because I didn't feel welcome. I kept searching for help in other ways, and here I am six years later still quilting! Don't give up, there are many online groups (like this one) who are very excepting.
    Nothing to do with age. Some people are just a pain!! Keep quilting!
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

MissSongbird, I am glad there are young quilters!! I am glad you are not going to let the attitudes of the ladies of the guilds keep you from quilting. I was going to suggest you might sign up for a guild workshop or project, but it sounds like you have already done that. If you really want to become part of the group, you might consider being an officer. That would get you involved more. (Not speaking from experience...from observation. )

Anyway, you always have us! I get pleasant vives every time I am on here....and that is a lot!!

Dina

My story is very similar being a younger quilter. I wasn't always welcomed but you will find places that will welcome you. Just keep getting involved. I joined a quilt guild when I was 25 and now at 30, I'm then head of our quilt show. Some people don't like the changes being made like having information on websites and putting entry forms online but most are open to it.

Blog Entries
    Who ever mentioned clique, hit it on the head. Whether they are quilting or whatever, they are in a clique and won't take anyone else in. DON'T BE DISCOURAGED! Keep on going. First thing you know, you will be hanging in a show. Go to a church and start one. Ours has a group, I don't go because I'm too old to go so much. But I encourage them. Keep it up and stay on here and show us your quilts.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGarnet222 View Post
    Wow does your story ever sound like mine. I started quilting many years ago and it was very hard to find a group of ladies I enjoyed being with. I continued along on my own and now some 30 years later I still don't belong to a group. Except this one that is. I will say that I know many of the quilter's in the area today. I enjoy the shows and an occational class, but, I guess groups are not my thing.

Just keep up your sewing and quilting. I know you will enjoy it your whole like though.
    same here.when I was young they thought I was crazy to want to quilt.been a solo crafter all my life.til my daughter learned to make quilts.I am proud of you-keep on plugging along.at least we have our online quilting friends now-did not have that when I was young.quilters of all ages should be equally welcomed.It makes me happy when I see young ones learning our hobby/craft
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

Maybe some of "us" older quilters are jealous because you have gotten off to such a young start and they wish they had. I did not start quilting until 10 years ago, when I was already half a century old...lol...because I had a family to raise and I also worked full time my entire life while raising 4 children. I am so grateful now to be at this point in my life and I am happy that you have the time and ability to start out so young, I think it is wonderful.
    Now, I learned a long time ago that our attitudes are very much like mirrors. For example, when you are treated with distain or rudeness over a period of time by a certain group, you come to expect that treatment and mirror it back, without knowing, then you get more of the same mirror treatment back...make sense?
    Put on a happy face, keep company with those whom you can feel comfortable and make comfortable, and as for the rest...put them out of your mind...and don't mind...because if you don't mind...they don't matter! BUT let me say one more thing...I have been guilt of thinking someone did not like me or was rude, when actually I found out later...they had a hearing problem! People who cannot hear well, often come off as aloof and uncaring.
    Most importantly...give everyone the benefit of the doubt and if all else fails, take the offensive and ask a person, very nicely, "have I done something to offend you?" If I have, I did not mean to." That ALWAYS works when a person has a sour attitude, because most of the time is is unconscious. Many have been through a lot in their lives and it has left scars...while you are still fresh with your whole life ahead of you. Be patient with us oldies, we really are not that bad. I love new quilters. I recently taught two 11-year-old learning disables girls to quilt and they were delightful!
    Michelle Guadarrama

Blog Entries
    I quit going to one quilt group, mainly due to their "clicks". gathering into groups and talking and ignoring me even when i tried to "join in". so i'm home again and here. fine with me. I learn more online and from books. i just liked being with other quilters.

I'm always glad to see younger quilters because that means quilting isn't dying out. Glad you stuck it out with the guilds though. I notice some people take a while to accept others, mainly because they are not sure if they'll stay around. Not a lot of guilds in my area so feel you are lucky to get into some. Glad you joined with your aunt also. When you get my age that will give you some good memories. Happy Quilting

I think I know how you feel. I don't belong to a quilting group except on line. But I do know an elderly lady who does belong to one. The very first quilt I did on my short arm quilting machine I took it to my weight loss group where she belongs. She started picking it apart. Granted it was a "cheater" top, because I didn't want to practice on a real top. I also just folded the back to the front for a binding. She said "humft" we bind ours by hand with "real" binding. She belongs to a quilting group and brags that EVERY thing they do is by hand. But that's OK I sold that quilt to a lady in the same weight loss group for 150.00.

So what I'm trying to say is sometime I think some of the women that have been quilting for 100 years think they are a little better that the younger ones. They forgot they were young once. I have only been quilting about 6 months and I'm 67 yrs. old. I think it's wonderful that we have young people starting to quilt so we can keep the art alive. I have some young granddaughter I would LOVE to teach to sew and quilt but they don't seem interested in it.

Blog Entries
    I have found that guilds can be very clicky. They get comfortable with the status quo and don't even realize that this attitude inhibits the guild to grow in knowledge and members. I have heard remarks like , "well that one didn't last long", or, "guess her life is just too busy to come to meetings", in that tone that sets my teeth a gnashing. I don't belong to any groups now, I am a loner, and my life is made up of many facets. I am not just a quilter, I am so much more.
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

Blog Entries
    I love young quilters. I am 69 but did not want to belong to the older quilt guilds in my area as they didn't seem very friendly. I looked for the Modern Quilt Guild and found one in my area. Many of the members are young married with babies but we also have middle age and older members. I wanted to be with a young, enthusiastic guild that wanted to try new methods as well as traditional. We all help each other with anything. Right now we are doing a traveling quilt. We recieved premade quilt squared from a swap challange through the Modern Quilt Guild. The blocks are all sizes and we are challenged to put the blocks together. We have had to make additional blocks and add sashings to connect the blocks and make it work. The quilt will be beautiful when finished. Keep looking. You will find the right group to work with and like the others here have said, you do have us.

Blog Entries
    I used to be in your position. People would say i should be out with my agegroup,drinking and hanging.
    I think some of the people are jealous of your age, skill and ideas. I felt the same way about joining a group
    post a meeting of quilters in your area on the board. Maybe you'll be lucky and meet some nice people in your area.
    good luck, dont give up. And happy new year.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast