Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Attitudes towards young quilters >

Attitudes towards young quilters

Attitudes towards young quilters

Old 01-02-2013, 01:55 PM

I too have had a bad experience with a guild. I joined about 13 years ago and I became friends with the pres. I jumped in with both feet -- did the jobs no one wanted, was an officer, worked on the quilt show. I kept getting comments like -- "you haven't been here long enough to know how things are supposed to be done". We had a block exchange and folks had to donate one 12" block to charity -- I pieced all of these blocks because no one else would do it and in 2 months made 24 tops for our charity. I said at the outset that someone else had to quilt them. When I finished them (reallize the colors and sizes were all over the map), the comments were I should have arranged them better and why didn't I quilt them. I was unhappy but my friend poined out that there are complainers in every crowd. While my friend was alive, folks were very friendly and when she passed away I became a non person. Needless to say I quit going to the group -- and now I get asked why I quilt, they really miss me, and would I be interested in piecing some tops...

Go figure -- it takes all kinds.

One LQS I went to had this young girl (about 12) who would help cut fabric. I started talking to her and found out she was quite a quilter. Over the years she and I had a lot of conversations and I got a lot of good tips from her. She entered a couple of shows and won some ribbons . The shop closed and I lost touch with her. A couple of years ago she started teaching at another LQS I go to -- she is in her 20's and is an amazing quilter. She also does FMQ now and she does an amazing job.

Age does not matter with quilting -- I think it is just being new and not knowing them for 20 years.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:58 PM

MissSongBird:

Don't be discouraged. As a general rule most quilters are genuinely nice, accepting people. I am the youngest in my group of about 15 women (just turned 35). Most of the ladies are over 50, but we have all bonded. One of the ladies son (who is my age) actually asks her why Jennifer (me) would want to hang out with a bunch of old women

I just joined the Modern Quilt Guild here in Portland. The members of this guild tend to be younger. Might I suggest seeing if you have a local modern quilt guild you can join?

Happy Quilting!
Old 01-02-2013, 02:41 PM

I know what you mean. I went on a shop hop once and at one shop, there was a woman with her daughter doing the hop and the shop people made a comment about the daughter being too young to be on the hop and didn't want to stamp her card (true, some people were bringing family members to increase their odds of winning), but this girl did quilt. On the other hand, my LQS at my old address had kids camp all summer to introduce boys and girls to quilting, so keep looking and there should be other options to share your joy of quilting, including this board.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:16 PM
amh

I still say start your own group. The small group I belong to is a group of friends. We meet at each others homes once a month. The hostess provides soup and maybe some cookies. We take our own sandwiches. We meet after work and have supper together and then show what we have been working on, or share other things (we are older so husbands are starting to pass away). If you are in school put up a poster on the bulletin board (I'm sure there are more current ways--twitter, etc.) and see if there are others interested. Doesn't have to be work, just a social group with a common interest.

And, you now have quilting friends around the world on this group. What are you working on now? And, what kinds of quilts do you like to make, modern, landscape, applique, pieced? If you want to try something new, just ask and there will be someone here who has tried it and was successful, or had a disaster and will share what they did wrong. Do you hand quilt or machine quilt. Show us some photos. You may have just found your quilting group.

Aileen
Old 01-02-2013, 05:51 PM

I got really lucky with the LQS that I chose when I treated myself to a new sewing machine. After piddling around for about a year on my own, I joined their Saturday block of the month club and found that I really do enjoy it. My very short stint with a guild has not as successful, although I did meet some nice women.

What I have discovered is that some view quilting as an art and quilt because of their love of creating something beautiful that is an expression of themselves. Others seem to be very focused on the do's and don't's of quilting and are very rooted in their idea of what quilting should be, and enjoy policing everyone else. I'm of the variety that believes there aren't any rules except those that I make for myself when it comes to my artform and creativity. Hopefully you will find a small group where you can bond together, or find an LQS that is inviting and supportive. It is certain that I wouldn't have come as far as I have in my quilting journey had it not been for my LQS! Like I said, I got real lucky when I stumbled in there in a mad search for a machine! Best of luck to you, and remember - there will ALWAYS be somebody who ate too many prunes!
Old 01-02-2013, 06:15 PM

i am sooo glad you quilt. my youngest daughter started quilting just out of college. soo that would be about 23? maybe you could put a notice up on a bullentin board, or in a college newspaper? and maybe start a group, if that is what you would like? seems like in the past, family scheduling interfered with me attending regular quilt guild meetings. now, i'm just lazy. and don't feel like driving the distance to get to one.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:38 PM

My granddaughter is 9 and made her first quilt a year ago when she was 8. Last summer she showed it at her county fair and won a "Best of Show" in the regular division, not the children's division. The "older" ladies were very encouraging to her. At first she didn't want to even enter but she entered 2. She is in school when the quilt groups meet.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:48 PM

What some older quilters fail to remember is that they too were once novice quilters!
Old 01-02-2013, 06:59 PM

Songbird,
If you lived closer, I'd quilt right along beside you. Don't let the old goats get to you - I'm sure they're just jealous of your youth!! Just keep on plugging away at your beautiful talent and you will find folks who deserve to share sewing space with you!!
And of course, everyone here at QB is so accepting, no matter age or anything else!
Old 01-02-2013, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by coopah View Post
It's not quilters, per se, but WOMEN! (Now I know I'll get bashed for this, but hang on, just a sec.) I have lived all over the USA, but mostly on the coasts. What I've discovered is that women in any group where there are not men (oh, keep reading. I hear you yelling at me.) to modify/influence the behavior of women...well, it can get nasty. It seems to depend on the leader. If you can somehow be friends with the leader (and I don't mean brown nose, but be genuine) and get her approval, you'll be set. Otherwise, it'll be a tough road. I LOVE younger folks. They keep me alive, stretching, growing, learning. Now go ahead and bash me...but it's what I've experienced. Sad, very sad that women are their own worst enemies.

Eyes...you are SO right!!!
I agree with you It happens anywhere there is a group of all women. I have worked in several jobs during my life. The least stressful job I ever had was when I was the only woman in a 14 person department. There was no gossip or cliques. Everyone got along and did his job. It was a very pleasant working environment.

I belonged to a quilt guild for a couple of years. Most of the ladies were 10-20 years older than I was. Several of the ladies had published books (some of them many books) on quilting. I felt like I was in way over my head because I was a beginning quilter. The ladies were always friendly, but I was not comfortable showing my simple quilts during show and tell. I am currently a member of another guild and I am one of the oldest members. Everyone is very friendly and we all learn together. It is just a better fit for me.

I also belong to a quilt club that meets every week. I enjoy it, but am thinking about leaving the group because weekly meetings are too much. I don't want to spend all my time at meetings when I could be home quilting.

Is there a Project Linus group in your area? Most ladies who make charity quilts are very friendly.