Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Attitudes towards young quilters >

Attitudes towards young quilters

Attitudes towards young quilters

Old 01-02-2013, 09:16 AM

Don't give up. I once sat in a quild which was "not for beginners" for a year before I opened my mouth. When the group needed someone to teach a class on pattern fitting prior to a jacket class, I offered to teach it and the members nearly dropped their teeth! Needless to say, their attitudes changed immediately. Do your own thing and keep quilting. We need all the "young-uns" we can get. I'm 77 and we went this wonderful craft to keep going after my generation is dead and gone.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:31 AM

I am 65, and I had heard horrible stories (like yours) about quilt guilds. So it took me a while to join one. I met someone on this board, two ladies actually, who invited me to come to the group. I've loved it, and all the ladies there. I don't think there was a person in our group that would do that to you. I don't think it's you or your age. It's the other people. We would welcome you with open arms, and it would be so exciting to have young ideas. I don't know why some groups are so huffy, but don't give up looking for someone else to quilt with. It's nice to have someone to show what you've done and teach you, and you teach them. By the way, I enjoyed our group so much, that I am now the President of our Quilt Club. And I by no means am an expert. I won't enter contests because my work is just for me and my family. I don't need it judged to know my flaws. I just love to quilt. I've also learned so much from this board, so keep checking everything in here. Join a BOM, if you've been quilting for 5 years. You probably know more than I do. Keep the faith! Katie
Old 01-02-2013, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by M.Elizabeth View Post
I'm many years older than 20!! I found quilters in my local guild to be closed to "newcomers" (I was about 55 when I joined the guild) so I quit attending the meetings, and it had nothing to do with age. I am more of a loner and introvert anyway, so I actually do better on my own.
I would encourage you not to give up, however. Look at Leah Day, her skill, and her age - 27 or maybe 28. She commands great respect for her quilting skills. So even though you feel age is a factor, and it certainly may be with some women, stick with it. Don't become discouraged. You may be the next Leah Day!!
I am also a loner but do like to interact with people. I have had lived overseas and got along with all types and cultures-in my small town I have felt like three headed weird creature when I tried to join a quilt group. I am more welcome at a quilt store I visit on vacation than here. So I quilt and sew alone and email my successes and failures and comments to my BFF. It works for us.
Hang in there-quilt for yourself and remember that it is their loss as I am sure you are a delightful person.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:40 AM

[QUOTE=coopah;5756403]It's not quilters, per se, but WOMEN! (Now I know I'll get bashed for this, but hang on, just a sec.) I have lived all over the USA, but mostly on the coasts. What I've discovered is that women in any group where there are not men (oh, keep reading. I hear you yelling at me.) to modify/influence the behavior of women...well, it can get nasty. It seems to depend on the leader. If you can somehow be friends with the leader (and I don't mean brown nose, but be genuine) and get her approval, you'll be set. Otherwise, it'll be a tough road. I LOVE younger folks. They keep me alive, stretching, growing, learning. Now go ahead and bash me...but it's what I've experienced. Sad, very sad that women are their own worst enemies.

One of my husband's favorite sayings is: " the biggest women haters in the world are women".
Eyes...you are SO right!!![/QU
Old 01-02-2013, 09:41 AM

I agree with c.oopah. The makeup of the group determines it's friendliness. I am tired of the group that I belong to and it's judgemental ways. I joined the group later than some and went out of my way to be friendly, especially to newcomers, my example has not been followed. Even if it is not me that they are talking about, it pains me to see them do it to others. It is supposedly a social group, not a guild. I don't need that kind of social and I am 74 years old. This group is enough for me
Old 01-02-2013, 10:09 AM

I belong to three Guilds. My level of participation is different with each one. The largest one has 250 or more members. This guild hosts a huge show each year and has lots of committees and projects. The business meeting part of the meeting takes an HOUR to get thru. I tend to not be as involved with this guild as there are too many things to do. I dont mind being a worker bee but I dont want to spend a lot of time "running" this guild any any capacity.

The fav Guild for me is the smallest. Less than 40 members....we dont host shows or put a lot of pressure to participate in swaps, challenges, etc. You participate as you feel fit to do so. We love our show and tell and we do plan our meetings for the year. It is a diverse group of quilters in regard to age, ability, purpose. We embrace everyone and have fun!

The third guild has about 85 members who meet 6 times per year. No quilt shows for us either. Retreats and charity quilting and the usual programs for which participation is optional.

Where are you located? The State is sufficient . I would love to see some 20 somethings join us!

Sandy. (Hobby quilter, no stress)
Old 01-02-2013, 10:11 AM

[QUOTE=Lucio;5756977]
Originally Posted by coopah View Post
It's not quilters, per se, but WOMEN! (Now I know I'll get bashed for this, but hang on, just a sec.) I have lived all over the USA, but mostly on the coasts. What I've discovered is that women in any group where there are not men (oh, keep reading. I hear you yelling at me.) to modify/influence the behavior of women...well, it can get nasty. It seems to depend on the leader. If you can somehow be friends with the leader (and I don't mean brown nose, but be genuine) and get her approval, you'll be set. Otherwise, it'll be a tough road. I LOVE younger folks. They keep me alive, stretching, growing, learning. Now go ahead and bash me...but it's what I've experienced. Sad, very sad that women are their own worst enemies.

One of my husband's favorite sayings is: " the biggest women haters in the world are women".
Eyes...you are SO right!!![/QU
I am still your friend! Yep, women can be snarky! Their loss!

Sandy
Old 01-02-2013, 10:43 AM

Oh, I love the LQS I go to. I wish I had more reasons (and more time...and money haha) to go.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:00 AM
amh

I'm so sorry that you are having difficulty finding the right group. I don't think it has to do so much with age, as it has to do with cliques, closed mindedness, etc. However, not everyone is like that, so give these groups a try in another month, year, whatever. Sometimes the dynamics of clubs change as new people come in, and it sounds like you are in a community where the older ideas have not yet been replaced with newer improved ideas. They will be.

Maybe you can ask people you know at work, in your neighbourhood, church, school, wherever you can think of if they would be interested in meeting as a quilting group. I have one at work that works very well. The group consists of 6 people, 3 of whom either do not quilt or quilt very little, but quilting is our excuse to get together. It comes with time.

There is a generational gap in quilting ideas. I'm 61, my mother is 88, and has quilted for years. She has never liked one quilt that I have made because they do not fit into her formula for a quilt. If the quilt does not consists of 12 identical pieced blocks with sashing inbetween them and a border a certain width, hand quilted, binding the same as the backing, then it is not a quilt. Her quilts are indeed beautiful, but not what I enjoy making. The ones I like are asymmetrical, some have sashing, some do not -- if it is different I want to try it. You must be happy with what you enjoy doing and the heck with anyone else.

I wish you lived closer to me because I need some new ideas and input from a younger perspective.

You will find someone who is a kindred spirit. Just don't give up.

Aileen
Old 01-02-2013, 11:20 AM

Our group will fall over backwards to get young people sewing! We think is our mission in life to spread the quilting bug!!!