Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
That awful moment when... >

That awful moment when...

That awful moment when...

Old 09-03-2014, 10:45 PM

A friend of mine saw the optician the other week. Her request was she wanted a pair of glasses to make her be able to see white on white fabric as she was fed up of putting it in quilts wrong way. He found her a pair now she can see the white on white but also all her other mistakes where she has missed applique round shapes.

She did. Have poor eye sight she is now not sure she is happy with her new glasses as she has so much extra work.

Take a deep breathe and enjoy the rest of the beautiful quilt. No one is perfect only God.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:04 PM

Let it go. It's a center, so you can imagine that the eye of that particular flower is looking into another dimension :-)
Old 09-03-2014, 11:54 PM

As the others have said - you have to let it go.

I've had the same problem recently with a plain ivory Kona when adding the triangles for a quilt on point. Had to rip these off a couple of times as I didn't realise these little suckers had to go the other way on the bottom half - duh!

I agonised over which side was the right side, until I eventually I took a deep breath and didn't think about them - life's too short, lol. Happy quilting!
Old 09-04-2014, 03:24 AM

We are our own worst enemies when it comes to critiquing. I noticed after I had a quilt done that a seam was pressed toward the light in one place and it showed. I wanted to rip the whole thing apart for that one little seam that was about 2" long. I'm sure the person who I made the quilt for never noticed it but I still think about it and wonder if I should have left it like I did. I've reversed white on white as well. Life does go on...
Old 09-04-2014, 03:50 AM

I am just starting a quilt that has prominent white on white patches. I was stacking my white squares last night for the snowball blocks and was having the hardest time keeping them face up!! I just know this quilt will suffer from backward blocks!!! I will try hard to do it right....but.....backwards might be a new design element. If you only messed up 1 block.....you are good! No one will notice!
Old 09-04-2014, 04:48 AM

I am newbie but can someone tell me what you all mean by this white on white hexie? I have no idea what you are talking about? Why would you use all whites? Just a little confused.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:05 AM

A "hexie" is a small six-sided piece. (Hexigon) Put seven of them together and you have a flower. Usually they are in many colors. Look in your favorite quilt store at their white-on-whites. They all have them.
When I am working with fabrics on which it is very hard to see right side from wrong, I turn the fabric wrong side up (my choice as to which side is wrong side). Then I take a pencil and very lightly make long open waves a few inches apart on that side. After the pieces are cut, almost all of them will have a little bit of the pencil mark on the wrong side and easy to see. But they are not able to be seen on the right side. (And yes, I have put one in with the pencil mark on top.)
Try it. Works for me!

Last edited by maviskw; 09-04-2014 at 05:07 AM.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:22 AM

I am currently working on a love knot quilt. While trimming the blocks I realized that a few of the white on white areas were backwards. I must have had a strip backwards while chain piecing. I figured if they were mixed up in the quilt and not side by side they won't be noticed. Because I am not taking them out. I have made 163 blocks for this quilt. So ...NO... not changing them.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:58 AM
Power Poster

I have had the same problem. If you look at the fabric almost parallel to your eyes, you can usually see the layer of "paint". I now mark very lightly the back with chalk or pencil so I know which side is the right side.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:09 AM

forgetubboutit, as they say in NY city. I have done that as have many others on this site.