Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
That awful moment when... >

That awful moment when...

That awful moment when...

Old 09-04-2014, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I am newbie but can someone tell me what you all mean by this white on white hexie? I have no idea what you are talking about? Why would you use all whites? Just a little confused.
I have tried to take a photo of some white on white fabrics to help you see, however, due to the nature of white on white fabrics, it's still pretty tricky to see!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]490255[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]490256[/ATTACH]
Basically, it's a white fabric, with a white design "painted" on it. So it's not as boring as plain white, but the design is pretty subtle
Attached Thumbnails imag1204.jpg   imag1200.jpg  
Old 09-04-2014, 06:51 AM

Someone else on another thread (sorry I don't remember who) said "Never tell the recipient of your quilt that you made mistakes." That may not be the exact quote, but it is great advise. You know if you point out where you went wrong, that is what they will always be looking for instead of the overall beauty of your quilt. I always feel I have to apologize for my quilt gifts.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:32 AM

Sorry for your error, but if it is only noticeable to you, and anyone else finds it just tell them you did it on purpose, because no matter how hard we try no one is perfect. I had a band director who always told us when someone made a mistake that was truly noticeable, "work on it, and remember there was only One who was perfect and they crucified Him", I can still "hear" him making that remark to this day, and I was in the 5th grade then. We all try do make our quilts and everything else as perfect a possible, but it doesn't always work out. I personally use the little white or colored garage sale dots on the front of fabric that is close like yours so I can try to get my blocks correct, or on particular blocks to be sure they are in the correct row or turned the right direction, you might try that next time. It really helps me. Looking forward to a picture of your quilt.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:38 AM
Power Poster

I had that problem making some yo yos yesterday. Said the heck with it and move on.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:46 AM

Now I don't feel so bad. While working on a quilt last month using the tri-rec rulers, I realized after the fact that I had one fabric wrong side when I cut the side sections. Its a fabric that looks like denim but isn't. Well I decided since I was making this scrappy, no one would be the wiser. Some of the same fabric is correct, some the wrong side. Now that the quilt is together I really don't think anyone will notice but since then I'm making sure all my fabrics are facing the correct direction. This is what happens when you cut a couple layers of fabric at one time. Silly me!
Old 09-04-2014, 08:53 AM
Power Poster

I feel your pain, just made my son an Asian quilt, sent it off to Charisma yesterday. B4 packing, i realized i put one of the kanji upside down. Hopefully no one will notice it.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:49 AM

First quilt I made, I used a directional white on white. The remains did not go into my stash.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:12 PM

I try to smile and remember that only god makes perfect things - so it is a bit easier to deal with my very dumb screw-ups. Some are so bad, I do need to bite the bullet and rip them open. But the smaller ones that no one else will notice, I leave them to keep myself very, very humble!
Old 09-04-2014, 01:15 PM

If I make a mistake like that, I just call it a "mystery quilt" and tell the receiver that I put one piece wrong side out, as a puzzle for them to find. You don't need to be a great quilter if you are a good story teller. Lol!
Old 09-04-2014, 01:56 PM
Power Poster

Using white on white fabrics can sometimes trip you up, as to which is the right side, but if it takes you quite a while to figure out which is the right and which is the wrong side, leave it along, as nobody else will know either. Don't get me wrong, I love white on white fabrics and use them a lot in my quilting, but if it isn't immediately noticeable, one side or the other, don't sweat the small stuff.