Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Back from Paducah  WHEW!! >

Back from Paducah WHEW!!

Back from Paducah WHEW!!

Old 04-24-2010, 07:26 AM

We went yesterday, and found free parking on a shady street just a couple blocks away. We roamed the convention center, and tent for over 5 hours, then enjoyed a strawberry shortcake from the Boy Scouts, and had a wonderful time. The quilts are so breathtakingly beautiful, and the amount of talent wrapped up in the total number of quilts is unimaginable, but so awe inspiring. The 8 hour drive was worth it. This will be the last year our daughter will be able to go with me, as she'll be moving away with her Air Force husband, but it has been such a treat to go with her for the past 4 years while they lived close enough. I plan to keep going to Paducah and send her pictures. I had a good time spending lots of $$ and watching everyone enjoy themselves.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:41 AM
Power Poster

I have always wanted to go but it's just too far for me.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:06 PM

Four of us went Wednesday and Thursday, three stayed for part of Friday. I actually wasn't impressed with the actual show quilts. I guess I am too traditional for what the AQS terms quilting. The vendor quilts were great and the WWII show at the Rotary was fantastic! The aisles were much too small and very difficult to navigate. Parking was a breeze! For 5 dollars, we parked right next to the "marshmallow" as one in our group christened it. The river area was also very pretty and we browsed several shops. I had never been to the Paducah Hancock's - what an experience! Pretty good time overall. Possible plans to return next year. Eleanor Burns is a hoot - we actually ended up singing with her! Although I wouldn't suggest buying anything directly from her - even with the bag discount, we found the same items elsewhere two and three dollars cheaper. I looked for QFs and red ribbons - didn't see any. Also, if you like Southern BBQ, Paducah is definitely not the place to find it!
Old 04-24-2010, 07:15 PM
Google Goddess

glad you got to go to Paducah, I want to go sometime!
Old 04-24-2010, 07:16 PM
Google Goddess

did you get to meet any other quilters from the board with red ribbons???
Old 04-24-2010, 11:28 PM
Banned

glad you had a good time. God bless. Penny
Old 04-25-2010, 05:48 AM

Got back from Paducah Sat am, before thunderstorms hit. Had a great time; lots of people, no red ribbons; so crowded, maybe wider aisles would have helped. Bought a Tin Lizzie 18; have to wait a couple of weeks for delivery. Also a lot of small things. Stayed on Ky Lake where it was beautiful; just seeing the boats and water was so relaxing after the jungle of people at the show. This is probably my last show; can't deal with the crowds; leave it for the younger quilters. The quilts were gorgeous. The WWII display was very impressive, as was the diaplay inside the Convention Center. Seems inappropriate to call myself a quilter after seeing those stunning quilts. I can't imagine making anything that fabulous.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:49 AM

We went Friday and Saturday and had a blast. I love the shows; I've gone every year for the past 6-7. I love, love, love it.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:27 PM
Power Poster

I had a great time. Got there Thursday and left early Sun. I was surprised at the Best of Show quilt. It had beautiful workmanship but honestly the overall quilt was not that pretty to me, very dark colors and an odd theme. Several of the winning quilts were heavily painted with paint sticks. I got discouraged about that. Why has the show become more of a fiber arts show? All the winners that were chatting about their quilts I kept hearing "I am trained in fiber arts' or "I have a background in fine arts." I guess the quilt museum wants more modern art fiber works in their exhibit.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:38 PM

I'm curious. I've read posts here and at another forum about Paducah.
I'm getting the impression that alot of the quilts on display and being judged are not necessarily traditional quilts, but more of the "art" quilt type? (You know, portraits, landscapes, etc.)
Although I'm amazed by what some people can do with fabric and thread, I like traditional quilt blocks.
I almost hope the "art" type quilt theme is true, then I'll not feel so upset each year because I can't get there.