Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
backing as binding? >

backing as binding?

backing as binding?

Old 11-15-2010, 06:29 AM

I am not understanding why turning it (and making it a double layer) would not be as strong as making a separate binding.

There are still two layers of fabric, on front and back, just as if it were an attached binding. Am I missing something?
Old 11-15-2010, 06:37 AM

I usually trim off the backing after it is quilted and then make my binding and sew it on front as usual and hand sew on back.
Hope this makes sense to you.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:41 AM

I use the backing as binding all the time. I make Crib quilts and Quilts for the Wounded. Just make your lining 2 inches larger all around, then when you finished quilting, tacking, etc. Press the edges, both front and back, turn over like bias, and stitch. I do the crib quilts binding by hand and the Quilts for the Wounded on the machine.

Originally Posted by carolaug
Does anyone use the backing as the binding? I have a friend that says she uses the backing as the binding. That sounds like an interesting ideas. Any tips and tricks to do this?
Old 11-15-2010, 06:42 AM

Yes. It was a double size quilt. Just remember to cut your backing bigger. I cut my backing alot bigger than needed so I could and cut it the correct size when all the quilting was done. I rather have too much than too little.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:50 AM

most people make binding by cutting a two and a half inch strip of fabric press in half and then sew on to the front fold over and hand sew on the back this actually makes the binding stronger as it is 4 layers of fabric. Here is a link on how to do binding http://www.heatherbaileydesign.com/HB_QuiltBinding.pdf
Old 11-15-2010, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins
I am not understanding why turning it (and making it a double layer) would not be as strong as making a separate binding.

There are still two layers of fabric, on front and back, just as if it were an attached binding. Am I missing something?

I agree with what you are saying & asking! I have sewn most of my life, then started quilting quite a few years ago, & have had no problem with this method. My batting is even in my binding this way, so it is through several layers, & wears, & holds great! I don't do quilt shows, I quilt for me, so this works for me. No quilt police at my house, lol!....
Old 11-15-2010, 07:08 AM

I personally don't care for the self binding, I think it's a personal thing, I have a friend that that's all she uses.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:36 AM

The very first quilt I ever made, some 25 years ago, was a tied quilt that had the quilt backing pulled forward to make a binding. Being new at quilting, it just seemed logical to use that extra fabric. I still use that quilt and the binding doesn't show any more wear than the rest of the quilt. It's been washed and dried many times.

To me, it seems to be more economical to use this method, not
to mention easy and convenient. One of the books on quilting I got recently mentions this method, along with the other types. I don't see any issues with this type. As with other things in life, it often comes down to personal preference.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:47 AM

I always cut my backing 2 to 3 inches (depending on how wide I want my trim to be) wider than my quilt top so I can fold over and under and just stitch it down. It gives the quilt a perfectly finished edge and you do not have to worry about it twisting-I miter the corners for a more polished look.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:16 AM

I have done this often. Just cut the backing about an inch and a half larger than needed or trim to size. Wrap it over the edge, mitre the corners and you have an easy finish!