Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
backing as binding? >

backing as binding?

backing as binding?

Old 11-15-2010, 10:20 AM

I've done backing as binding from my first quilt many years ago -- just extend the backing at least 2 or so inches beyond the top and fold forward -- extending the batting also will give a puffy binding -- miter or log fold the corners (this sometimes takes a bit of adjustment) -- all in all, this method works great!
Old 11-15-2010, 11:38 AM

I do sometimes. If you make a Quilt for Kids kit, they recommend it. It's good for kids because it gives them one less edge to fidget with or get stuck on their medical equipment. It's certainly easier and quicker than cutting strips. I like the look, too.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:57 PM

I've done it several times. I have cut the backing bigger and just folded it over the edges; and I've cut strips and made binding to sew on that way also.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:10 PM

Hi! I just finished a baby quilt were I used the backing and binding as one piece. I did more or less like the tutorial showed but slightly different. I cut my batting about 1-1/2" wider than the quilt. Then added the backing, cutting it about 2" wider than quilt and batting layer. I think when I folded the backing up and over to form the binding, there seemed to less bulk because it was the one layer 0f batting and backing fabric. Did a blanket stitch around the entire binding. I also didn't finish the corners like the tutorial, I hand-tacked mine.
I really liked how it all come out. There's picture of quilt in my photo album in the "my quilts" section. Chris
Old 11-15-2010, 03:59 PM

I just put together a quilt top and it ended up 92". With the batting only 90 inches, my sister suggested -skip the binding and pull the excess around back. Works for me. No waste. And more important - I don't have to remove the lower and top border piece to take in the seams untill it is less than the 90". Originally, I planned to use the backing for binding. I resized the quilt from a pattern for a crib sized quilt. I was a little off with the math.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:24 PM

i have done it a few times just bring the backing over to the front tuck it under and sew!!!
Old 11-15-2010, 04:29 PM

I've done this on baby quilts, but I always thought it was "cheating" - which was ok, because the quilts were "cheat" quilts, too, depending heavily on fabric panels. <G> Lazy-lazy me!
Old 11-15-2010, 04:44 PM

Sometimes I fold over the extra large backing and batting so that it forms a thick and extra wide border which I then sew down on the front. I use a twin needle sometimes on the edges of this sort of edge, to give it a nicer finish. Can also make a nice embroidered edge in this section as well.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:47 PM

My mom used to do it all the time. I didn't know there was any other way until I decided to learn to quilt on my own. Mom has been gone for a long time so I had to start from scratch.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by carolaug
Does anyone use the backing as the binding? I have a friend that says she uses the backing as the binding. That sounds like an interesting ideas. Any tips and tricks to do this?
Your backing needs to be an inch or so larger and evenly cut around your quilt, fold under 1/4 inch, then fold the overhang to the front and blind stitch or machine stitch in place along the edge of the binding. I've only done it once but it was easy and looked rather nice.

If you have a library close by you could get some quilting books and I'm sure it would have some pictures as to exactly how it's done. It's a little difficult to explain the process. Good luck!