Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Backing quilt with fleece >

Backing quilt with fleece

Backing quilt with fleece

Old 09-10-2012, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Pieces2 View Post
I would not use fleece. It is a polyester blend fabric and will shrink differently than your cotton quilt top.

No reason in this world not to use fleece specially since the family wants it that way.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
I have made quite a few quilts with fleece backing & warm & natural batting. I have posted the pictures before but will include again, they are nice & cuddly!
Love your quilting. And the appliqued flowers on the one are really cute.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:40 AM

I would not use fleece. It is a polyester blend fabric and will shrink differently than your cotton quilt top.
I do a lot of my baby/lap quilts with polar fleece. You just need to make sure you wash and dry everything on HOT to get all the shrinkage done and over with before you start. I've only had one problem quilt, and I'm pretty sure it was designer error than fabric issues
Old 09-10-2012, 08:53 AM

I agree with Shana. Then again I always was my fabrics before I use it. Even fleece, which I love to use without batting for baby quilts. The quilting on the back always seems to look so nice LOL
Old 09-10-2012, 04:55 PM

You might think it would, but in reality it does not--they wash "like a rag" and are very durable. Quick and easy to do. I've done a "jillion" of them.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:32 PM

I just finished 2 quilts for little kids with fleece backing. I pillowcase turned them and then tied them with Perle cotton. They are very soft and cuddely
Old 09-10-2012, 05:38 PM
Power Poster

I was in a hurry to have a finished quilt for a class. I made the quilt top but no way had time to quilt it. I put a five inch border on the quilt, backed it with fleece and cut and tied it all around the edges like a fleece quilt. The ties had to be doubled tied since it was cotton and fleece tied together. Everyone loved the look and the beginners were excited they could do a quilt top and not have to worry about getting it quilted. I didn't do anything to hold the top to the fleece back except tie the edges. It's been washed many times and has never separated.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:01 PM

I wish we had a "like" button! Has anyone used the "cuddle fleece"? Do I have to pre-wash it? I suppose I should though...I just don't want to un-fluff it...maybe I could toss a sample of it in the wash and see what happens to it. I want to do it on the long-arm, but I've never done anything so fluffy and don't want to get it matted down. Any suggestions on that?
Old 09-16-2012, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Tashana View Post
A friend mentioned that she woul like me to back a quilt I am making for her mom with fleece. I have never done that. Should I use batting? Can I quilt it on the machine? Help, please!
I've been wondering the same thing so yesterday I bought 1/4 yard of fleece and experimented. I found that I liked it better with a batting inbetween than without. I only played with 9x12 pieces, but found it easier to move the sandwich when it was thicker, and I liked the way the quilting looked on the back of the fleece. The "quilt" seemed a little too light for me without the batting and I got a few puckers. However, I did NOT pin at all with either sandwich since they were so small.

I may try fleece on 2 tops I made for a grand-neice and -nephew. They will probably like the pattern on the fleece better than the pieced top, lol.

I have to add for Tashana, that every question I've had recently where I've searched, there You are asking the same question. Our great minds must think alike, haha. :-)

Last edited by sewplease; 09-16-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:26 PM
Power Poster

I just finished my first one three days ago. It was my friend's top and she wanted batting + the fleece. I put it on the frame and looked at it for a week, afraid to begin. Finally started. I needed to move my foot up a bit but other than that, no issues. I made sure I didn't have too much tension on the backing from the rails or side clamps.