Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bah! Now everyone I know wants a quilt!! LOL >

Bah! Now everyone I know wants a quilt!! LOL

Bah! Now everyone I know wants a quilt!! LOL

Old 12-29-2009, 06:04 AM

Last year was the first year I even suggested I wanted to make an Art quilt for someone other than myself. I'm still working on a third OBW but finished 2 other OBWs for my two sons. Most people especially if they don't sew, have no idea how many hours it takes to make a quilt. Usually the ones who ask "How long did it take to make?" are the ones who don't sew or make anything craftwise to know how many hours it takes.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:14 AM

Oh, yeah. And the more quilts you make, the more demanding others will be....and I hate the whiners who have no idea that the quilt they want you to make will cost an arm and a leg.... :D
Old 12-29-2009, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by sharon b
YES.. YES.. and YES.. and most of the time I will do them on my time and conditions :lol: If they get too demanding , then I just start to ignore them or pretend I don't hear them when they try to talk to me about making them a quilt :? Welocme to the world of quilting :wink:
Pretty much the same. What everyone has said.
We draw names for Christmas. Last year I drew on SIL, and gave her a quilt I had almost finished, that had no 'reason for being' yet....
So when I drew the other SIL, I KNEW I had to make another.
I figure that if I keep drawing a different family member each year, I can give them each one that way....

I give a baby quilt to each baby born.

Beyond that, I would probably say something along the lines of, "Well, there is a really nice quilt store over at XX, why don't you go in there, and have someone help you buy the amounts of fabrics and pattern you want, and I will add you to my ever-growing pile of things I have to make!!! I am only about 50 hours into the quilt I am working on now, however, so I can't promise you a deadline...."

Yes, I am a wee bit snarky, lol!!!
Old 12-29-2009, 07:09 AM

Iluv2quilt said, "my SIL started to cry saying I don't love her." Wow! I think I would tell my SIL to grow up!!! I am happy to give items that I have made as gifts...but, I sure don't intend to spend my entire year making things for everyone. For one things...this quilting hobby is an expensive one! As much as I would like to give quilts as Xmas gifts...they really don't fit into the $50 limit that my family has. Sorry. This year, the gals in my family received an apron, a church cookbook, and embroidered kitchen towels from me. The guys all got shirts/sweaters from Kohls. LOL
Old 12-29-2009, 07:19 AM

Aliaslaceygreen, I love your response and the solution of drawing names is perfect. The ones who didn't get a quilt from you don't realize how much more effort, time and, especially money, you spent on the gift you give. I finally got the point across when a family member was visiting and watched as I cut out a crib quilt - she remarked that it was too time consuming for her and how could I stand to spend that much time making just one thing!
Old 12-29-2009, 07:34 AM
Banned

I have the same thing but they also know I have my plate full with everything else I have going on. So they usually say "when you get a chance" :lol: which is okay by me.

As far as SIL crying about "I don't love her" I would punch her in the mouth and tell her shut her pie hole!! But thats just me............

Billy
Old 12-29-2009, 07:37 AM
Power Poster

I think honest IS the best policy. Sure, you can be added to my list, and to be fair to all others, that asked first, your name will go to the end, and when I get the time and the money....
Or say yes, when I get the time and then mention how many hours you have in your current project and how many are coming behind that one.
I like the idea of drawing names too. I tried to get my kids to do that, but it's hard to get them focused on anything.
I do try to think of it as a compliment though.
Cutting a quilt out while someone is there is clever.
aliaslaceygreen, I don't think that's snarky at all.
Suzi, you made a quilt for your MIL and your SIL started to cry? something more than liking quilts, going on there...
Old 12-29-2009, 07:52 AM

Yea everyone wants and no one is willing to give! aliaslaceygreen I like your comment that's a good cure! Let them shop then invite all over for a Friday or Saturday night cutting sucession! We'll see how bad they want a quilt.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:01 AM

Personally, I'd be very grateful to have a family member ask me to make them a quilt. :cry:
Old 12-29-2009, 08:30 AM
Power Poster

I know what you mean. My DD asked me to make quilts for her soon to be in laws. Now I have even more to make. At least I can take my time to do these.