Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bah! Now everyone I know wants a quilt!! LOL >

Bah! Now everyone I know wants a quilt!! LOL

Bah! Now everyone I know wants a quilt!! LOL

Old 12-29-2009, 02:24 PM
Power Poster

I have had total strangers ask about my quilts. They seem to think it takes one week to do these things..........lol
Old 12-29-2009, 02:28 PM

Perfect comment !!
Old 12-29-2009, 03:25 PM

Well currently I don't have an extended family (one of the perks of divorce) and my sister quilts herself so would never get a request from her.

However I did think of two responses, not sure which one I would use...depends on if good/bad relationship with sister in law

1. Go find a pattern, buy your fabric and you can come over and I'll help you learn to quilt. Then you would either have a quilting "buddy" or she would shut up fast.

2. You could find a pretty (simple) mini quilt pattern or simply a single block pattern for her to hang on her wall - nothing says you have to give a bed size quilt to someone. If she still "whines" say "the size of the quilt has nothing to do with how much I love you, I just don't have time or money to make bed size quilts for all."
Old 12-29-2009, 04:13 PM

I get the same thing, and while it is a compliment that your work is admired, I find that most people who ask have absolutely no idea of the cost and time involved.

I sew things for my family gladly because they understand the time, effort, and money involved.

Several years ago, a neighbor came over, saw a tablerunner I was finishing for my sister, and asked if I would make her an especially long (96") one for her formal dining room table. She offered to pay me.

Knowing how particular she was I feared I would have to make one runner after another to please her. I explained that I sew as a hobby, for myself, and my family, and that if someone were to pay me then it becomes WORK. With my time contrainsts I wanted to keep it a hobby pastime. This seemed to satisfy her.

I
Old 12-29-2009, 07:19 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JanetM
I get the same thing, and while it is a compliment that your work is admired, I find that most people who ask have absolutely no idea of the cost and time involved.

I sew things for my family gladly because they understand the time, effort, and money involved.

Several years ago, a neighbor came over, saw a tablerunner I was finishing for my sister, and asked if I would make her an especially long (96") one for her formal dining room table. She offered to pay me.

Knowing how particular she was I feared I would have to make one runner after another to please her. I explained that I sew as a hobby, for myself, and my family, and that if someone were to pay me then it becomes WORK. With my time contrainsts I wanted to keep it a hobby pastime. This seemed to satisfy her.

I
I have said the same things when people ask if I sell my stuff, or if I have ever thought of selling things :thumbup:
Old 12-29-2009, 07:21 PM

don't you hate when that happens.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by JanetM
I explained that I sew as a hobby, for myself, and my family, and that if someone were to pay me then it becomes WORK.
That is exactly right JanetM. and when they want this particular pattern but change this and that and different fabrics it can take the pleasure out of sewing and make it a chore.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:58 AM

Regarding the SIL, I'd make her wait even longer after that performace.

In fact, when you get around to it, why not make her a wall hanging with an 'Oscar' quilted on it.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:27 AM

I tell them I would be happy to teach them how to make their own any time. That usually ends the conversation.

I also like "you should sell them" pppfffttt they have no clue how much fabric, thread, batting and your time costs.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SuzyM
I also like "you should sell them" pppfffttt they have no clue how much fabric, thread, batting and your time costs.
Lord only knows how many times I have heard that one. The way I look at it the ones generally saying that have the idea that maybe $150 would pay for a king sized quilt. That would barely cover the materials for the job!

We can all thank the "Bed in a bag" for that one.......

Billy