Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Baily's Long Arm Quilting machine

  1. #1
    Power Poster Tweety2911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    17,059
    Blog Entries
    3
    Not too long ago there was a thread on LAQ machines. My DH and I are going to the factory to check out a machine and was wondering if you could give me some pointers on what to look for and what machine you have and why you love it?

  2. #2
    Moderator kathy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    on the Texas Coast
    Posts
    4,050
    there's not a lot of bells and whistles with a Bailey, I have a 15", no stitch regulator but I do okay, I did just get the extended base so I can use rulers and templates.

  3. #3
    Power Poster Tweety2911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    17,059
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thank you Kathy. I am so excited I could burst!

  4. #4
    Senior Member hoppyfrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Yosemite
    Posts
    756
    There is a Yahoo group you could join for Bailey owners and wantabes (like me). Very supportive and there's always someone there to answer questions before and after purchase. I'm green with envy ;-)

  5. #5
    Senior Member mawmawbeve_60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    691
    I Have the Bailey 15/ with no stitch regulator..may save up for it though....I do pretty good with pantos and have done ok with free mation work...I bought the lollipop for the bailey -extended base.. and the new feet they offer..cant wait to try out the new ruler foot..I bought me the boomerang templete to do wave cross hatching..:)

  6. #6
    Power Poster Tweety2911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    17,059
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thanks Hoppyfrog. Do you have the link to the Yahoo site?
    DH has made travel plans for next week and appointment with the facory rep who we hear so much about. Will keep you posted.

  7. #7
    Senior Member hoppyfrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Yosemite
    Posts
    756
    Quote Originally Posted by Tweety2911
    Thanks Hoppyfrog. Do you have the link to the Yahoo site?
    DH has made travel plans for next week and appointment with the facory rep who we hear so much about. Will keep you posted.
    Do a search for Yahoo Groups. There will be a search area to type in the name. It's baileyquiltingmachines. You'll have to join the group. It only takes a couple of minutes to do so the there's no cost to join. I found this group to have a wealth of info and very helpfull.

  8. #8
    Power Poster Tweety2911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    17,059
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thanks. I went into sign up but cancelled because I don't usually go into Yahoo to check messages. However, I was able to read the some of the comments and they reflect yours. So off to Bailys we go next week. Thanks for all your help :-)

  9. #9
    Senior Member hoppyfrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Yosemite
    Posts
    756
    Quote Originally Posted by Tweety2911
    Thanks. I went into sign up but cancelled because I don't usually go into Yahoo to check messages. However, I was able to read the some of the comments and they reflect yours. So off to Bailys we go next week. Thanks for all your help :-)
    You don't have to go to Yahoo to check your messages. It gives you an option to put your regular addy in. That's how I get my messages with my other groups.

  10. #10
    Power Poster Tweety2911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    17,059
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by hoppyfrog
    Quote Originally Posted by Tweety2911
    Thanks. I went into sign up but cancelled because I don't usually go into Yahoo to check messages. However, I was able to read the some of the comments and they reflect yours. So off to Bailys we go next week. Thanks for all your help :-)
    You don't have to go to Yahoo to check your messages. It gives you an option to put your regular addy in. That's how I get my messages with my other groups.
    Will try again. You have been a great help!

  11. #11
    Power Poster ckcowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    11,172
    Blog Entries
    1
    buying a long arm machine is a huge investment, you need to take it as seriously as you would a car or a house. find as many different ones as you can, there are a number of reputable companies out there. try out every machine you can and then choose the one that fits your needs the best that you can afford. just because i like my machine does not mean you would like it; for something you are going to dump thousands of dollars into you need to choose the right machine for you. i have a friend who has the same machine as mine, she had nothing but trouble, in 5 years i don't think she ever quilted a whole quilt and she finally sold it out of frustration...(not to me, i already had mine) i have not had those problems.

  12. #12
    Power Poster Tweety2911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    17,059
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thank you for the good advice. Already tried the HandiQuilter and fell in love with it, but the price range is double of what I want to spend and the extras are pricey. My husband has been doing a lot of research ( I am like a kid who desperately wants the toy now!!). Bless his heart, he is doing all of the hard work for me. He is the driving force behind this expenditure. I am the frugal one. He feels I deserve it and he wants me to have one. Love him to bits!

  13. #13
    Moderator kathy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    on the Texas Coast
    Posts
    4,050
    one of the great things about the bailey is that you can get it without haveing to mortgage your house ! (I got my whole setup for apx$3000 )and it will be fun and a learning experience, if you decide you want more bells and whistles you can move on to the more expensive toys

  14. #14
    Power Poster Tweety2911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    17,059
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by mawmawbeve_60
    I Have the Bailey 15/ with no stitch regulator..may save up for it though....I do pretty good with pantos and have done ok with free mation work...I bought the lollipop for the bailey -extended base.. and the new feet they offer..cant wait to try out the new ruler foot..I bought me the boomerang templete to do wave cross hatching..:)
    I didn't realize they also had rulers. Oh goody, more toys to look at. I look forward to trying out all the models, I especially have my eye on the Bailey 17. Will keep you posted. Thanks so much.

  15. #15
    Super Member daisey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    colorado
    Posts
    1,701
    I used to have a Bailey 15 and its a great affordable quilting machine. Its very simple and I was one of the 1st to get the stitch regulator. I did very well without the regulator and if I would have done it over I would have not bought the stitch regulator. This machine is very consistant and as long as you learn to quilt at a pretty constant speed the stitches look great! I highly recommend this machine especially if you are just going to be quilting for yourself. Its a work horse and wont die. Mr bailey is so easy to work with too. I sold mine because I wanted a few more features and a larger throat,,,they now have a 20 inch I think...Anyway dont go smaller than the 15 inch because most people move up pretty fast after buying the 13 inch. Good Luck!

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    556
    You're right about HQ. Yes they cost more than the Bailey's (which I did look at once) but they come with everything that most companies charge extra for. I just wanted to say that right now, because there are so many new HQ models, there are MANY setups being sold as used because people are upgrading. This way, you can get a wonderful machine, that's self contained (no extra messy oiling) for a much reduced price over a new one. And frankly, I know and can speak from experience, the HQ's are so well made that a used one on a good frame is an exceptional buy - it won't be a problem. And they do have wonderful customer service.

    This is true for anyone looking to buy any machine make/model right now. Costs are way down, espeically for used ones. They're a fraction of the cost of a new one. So - something to think about :)

    Have a wonderful time at the factory - and do try several brands. It will benefit you in the long run. :)

    Good luck,
    Debbie in Austin

  17. #17
    Super Member daisey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    colorado
    Posts
    1,701
    Debbie from Austin is correct the Hqs are great that is what i have now after selling my Bailey but i still feel for 1900.00 a Bailey is just fine for most people. I never had a single problem and they are just fine for a hobby. you oil very rarely according to MR Bailey and they are easy to sell when and if you want to upgrade. Dont be pressured you know what you can afford.

  18. #18
    Power Poster Tweety2911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    17,059
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by daisey
    I used to have a Bailey 15 and its a great affordable quilting machine. Its very simple and I was one of the 1st to get the stitch regulator. I did very well without the regulator and if I would have done it over I would have not bought the stitch regulator. This machine is very consistant and as long as you learn to quilt at a pretty constant speed the stitches look great! I highly recommend this machine especially if you are just going to be quilting for yourself. Its a work horse and wont die. Mr bailey is so easy to work with too. I sold mine because I wanted a few more features and a larger throat,,,they now have a 20 inch I think...Anyway dont go smaller than the 15 inch because most people move up pretty fast after buying the 13 inch. Good Luck!
    Thanks Daisey, we are going to look at the Pro 17. It gives a lot of space to quilt on. I really want to learn to do feathers on the Bailys and hope I find it smooth to work with. I plan on spending at least an hour on the machine to make sure it will do what I want it to do. Have you done pantograms with yours?

  19. #19
    Power Poster Tweety2911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    17,059
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thanks Debbie, sounds like you have had a lot of experience in this. I am afraid of getting a used machine from someone I don't know. Decided to look at the Bailys and different tables available. The one thing I don't like is the Bailys control. Hoping to find the perfect table and arms. Will pick Mr. Baily's brain for ideas.

  20. #20
    Super Member daisey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    colorado
    Posts
    1,701
    Yes I mostly did pantographs on this machine and it was pretty smooth, just be sure to get the best frame possible I think there is a more expensive grace thats a bit more expensive but worth it. The frame can make a huge difference too. I sold my machine used and it was in perfect shape but usually you cant get them that much cheaper so I think a new one is best that way Mr Bailey will cover if any problems...he is really good. The 17th inch would be my 1st choice too!

  21. #21
    Power Poster Tweety2911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    17,059
    Blog Entries
    3
    Daisey you have been very helpful. Thank you so much for all your information and will certainly apply it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.