Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Baily's Long Arm Quilting machine >

Baily's Long Arm Quilting machine

Baily's Long Arm Quilting machine

Old 11-02-2010, 04:42 PM
Power Poster

buying a long arm machine is a huge investment, you need to take it as seriously as you would a car or a house. find as many different ones as you can, there are a number of reputable companies out there. try out every machine you can and then choose the one that fits your needs the best that you can afford. just because i like my machine does not mean you would like it; for something you are going to dump thousands of dollars into you need to choose the right machine for you. i have a friend who has the same machine as mine, she had nothing but trouble, in 5 years i don't think she ever quilted a whole quilt and she finally sold it out of frustration...(not to me, i already had mine) i have not had those problems.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:25 AM
Power Poster

Thank you for the good advice. Already tried the HandiQuilter and fell in love with it, but the price range is double of what I want to spend and the extras are pricey. My husband has been doing a lot of research ( I am like a kid who desperately wants the toy now!!). Bless his heart, he is doing all of the hard work for me. He is the driving force behind this expenditure. I am the frugal one. He feels I deserve it and he wants me to have one. Love him to bits!
Old 11-03-2010, 11:25 AM

one of the great things about the bailey is that you can get it without haveing to mortgage your house ! (I got my whole setup for apx$3000 )and it will be fun and a learning experience, if you decide you want more bells and whistles you can move on to the more expensive toys
Old 11-03-2010, 06:29 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mawmawbeve_60
I Have the Bailey 15/ with no stitch regulator..may save up for it though....I do pretty good with pantos and have done ok with free mation work...I bought the lollipop for the bailey -extended base.. and the new feet they offer..cant wait to try out the new ruler foot..I bought me the boomerang templete to do wave cross hatching..:)
I didn't realize they also had rulers. Oh goody, more toys to look at. I look forward to trying out all the models, I especially have my eye on the Bailey 17. Will keep you posted. Thanks so much.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:58 PM

I used to have a Bailey 15 and its a great affordable quilting machine. Its very simple and I was one of the 1st to get the stitch regulator. I did very well without the regulator and if I would have done it over I would have not bought the stitch regulator. This machine is very consistant and as long as you learn to quilt at a pretty constant speed the stitches look great! I highly recommend this machine especially if you are just going to be quilting for yourself. Its a work horse and wont die. Mr bailey is so easy to work with too. I sold mine because I wanted a few more features and a larger throat,,,they now have a 20 inch I think...Anyway dont go smaller than the 15 inch because most people move up pretty fast after buying the 13 inch. Good Luck!
Old 11-04-2010, 03:39 AM

You're right about HQ. Yes they cost more than the Bailey's (which I did look at once) but they come with everything that most companies charge extra for. I just wanted to say that right now, because there are so many new HQ models, there are MANY setups being sold as used because people are upgrading. This way, you can get a wonderful machine, that's self contained (no extra messy oiling) for a much reduced price over a new one. And frankly, I know and can speak from experience, the HQ's are so well made that a used one on a good frame is an exceptional buy - it won't be a problem. And they do have wonderful customer service.

This is true for anyone looking to buy any machine make/model right now. Costs are way down, espeically for used ones. They're a fraction of the cost of a new one. So - something to think about :)

Have a wonderful time at the factory - and do try several brands. It will benefit you in the long run. :)

Good luck,
Debbie in Austin
Old 11-04-2010, 06:18 AM

Debbie from Austin is correct the Hqs are great that is what i have now after selling my Bailey but i still feel for 1900.00 a Bailey is just fine for most people. I never had a single problem and they are just fine for a hobby. you oil very rarely according to MR Bailey and they are easy to sell when and if you want to upgrade. Dont be pressured you know what you can afford.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:46 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by daisey
I used to have a Bailey 15 and its a great affordable quilting machine. Its very simple and I was one of the 1st to get the stitch regulator. I did very well without the regulator and if I would have done it over I would have not bought the stitch regulator. This machine is very consistant and as long as you learn to quilt at a pretty constant speed the stitches look great! I highly recommend this machine especially if you are just going to be quilting for yourself. Its a work horse and wont die. Mr bailey is so easy to work with too. I sold mine because I wanted a few more features and a larger throat,,,they now have a 20 inch I think...Anyway dont go smaller than the 15 inch because most people move up pretty fast after buying the 13 inch. Good Luck!
Thanks Daisey, we are going to look at the Pro 17. It gives a lot of space to quilt on. I really want to learn to do feathers on the Bailys and hope I find it smooth to work with. I plan on spending at least an hour on the machine to make sure it will do what I want it to do. Have you done pantograms with yours?
Old 11-04-2010, 12:53 PM
Power Poster

Thanks Debbie, sounds like you have had a lot of experience in this. I am afraid of getting a used machine from someone I don't know. Decided to look at the Bailys and different tables available. The one thing I don't like is the Bailys control. Hoping to find the perfect table and arms. Will pick Mr. Baily's brain for ideas.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:51 PM

Yes I mostly did pantographs on this machine and it was pretty smooth, just be sure to get the best frame possible I think there is a more expensive grace thats a bit more expensive but worth it. The frame can make a huge difference too. I sold my machine used and it was in perfect shape but usually you cant get them that much cheaper so I think a new one is best that way Mr Bailey will cover if any problems...he is really good. The 17th inch would be my 1st choice too!