Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bargello Program Help!!!!! >

Bargello Program Help!!!!!

Bargello Program Help!!!!!

Old 12-15-2014, 09:45 AM

Default Bargello Program Help!!!!!

Hello, I'm trying my hand at making a bargello quilt and am using the free Bargello program. Its a great program from what I've played with it. My problem is I have hand tremors so can't seem to make smooth waves as I move the mouse around. I'm wondering if anyone that has this program, if they could maybe help me with making up my pattern? Here is the website to download this wonderful free program.

http://www.dgp.toronto.edu/~mcoahran/BargelloSketcher/

I'm using 12 fabrics in browns and golds going from the darkest brown to the lightest gold from either side of the focal fabric. So it ends up a 25 fabric run. Again, if anyone could help me design a nice swooping pattern using the focal fabric in the center of the pattern, I'd be greatly appreciative. I can send the file with the fabric layout.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:57 AM

Now I understand what you were asking in the thread I started about my purple Bargello. I am sorry, I thought you were actually having trouble cutting the fabric. So ignore the advice I gave you there.

I wish I could help, but I have a Mac and it isn't compatible with that program, though the program looks like it would be fun to play with.

Surely someone out there can give you advice. It looks like you create the pattern you want and then go with it?

Dina
Old 12-15-2014, 11:30 AM
Power Poster

Interesting program. Are you having to change the size on one of the patterns she has posted. I didn't design my own Bargello pattern til I was secure with the knowledge I had accumulated from making quite a few. I always advise quilters trying their first Bargello is to do one that in simple. There is a free pattern on Northcott Website called Serenity Bargello. I would help you but I am trying to get the kinks out of new refurbished computer.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:45 AM

I downloaded the program and it seems really hard for me to draw and gentle curve also.
What I do when designing a bargello is chart it out on graft paper. it doesn't have to be exact, just so you can get an idea what the design will look like. I usually star on one site and draw a rectangle to represent 2" h x 3-1/2 wide. then step down bottom of that rectangle and the next space would be 2x 3in., then 2x 2 2-1/2, 2x2, and so on until you get to and 1/2 in If you like that curve, you may want to repeat going in the opposite direction. You can repeat this all the way across the quilt.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:07 PM

I'm running Windows 8.1 and can't get the program to open. I downloaded the program and installed it. There was no icon to start it on my desktop. I found the program on my C drive. When I clicked on it, all I can see are the files. I clicked on every file within the files and none would start it. Anybody have a clue what I need to do?
Old 12-15-2014, 12:37 PM

Well, I am always amazed at how Windows 8 does things. I went to the W8 main screen, started typing in Barg and saw the start icon. Now, how to get it to my File page? Always something to think about in W8, but it sure does start a lot quicker than any other Windows program.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 12-15-2014 at 12:40 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:35 PM

Barb I La - I had a program like yours where I could not open it. One of the Gkids just right clicked on the icon to bring up the menu where you can OPEN.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:37 PM

When I downloaded it, I thought Windows 7 was the latest version that was supported.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:22 AM

I have the Serenity pattern and have printed it out to go back to. My problem is trying to get the color scheme to come out correctly. I'm glad after reading other's view on this program that it may not be me in making the swoops but the program itself. That's a relief. Right now my main computer is in the shop so using my laptop and of course all my files are on the other computer so I'm sort of stuck in the mud till it gets fixed.

Thanks for all your help though.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:45 AM
Power Poster

Hi Snooze2978. Here is the charity quilt that I made using the Serenity pattern. I found it easier with the 2.5 cut stripes. I would also suggest you cut the 3/4" as 1". If you look closely, the center section is the same. I also used about 2 and a half set strips so I added a bit of extra on the right side of the quilt. Hope this helps. If you need to ask any questions, please just PM me.
Attached Thumbnails browngold-bargello.jpg