Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Batik Addicts

Quote Originally Posted by marciacp
    Quote Originally Posted by Lori S
    I too just love batiks! My stash of batiks has taken over the space leaving little room for traditional fabrics. I look for projects to combine paper piecings and batiks.
    Lori, I absolutely love your quilt. Was that your first
    Judy Neimeyer, or have you done others?
    Marcia
    It is not a Judy Neimeyer, the pattern is called Joy by Jauquline De Jonge. She has great patterns but they are not for the faint of heart , she is dutch , and it is her husband that does the translations for the directions.... so sometimes there are a few ... not so great ... instructions. I have done Judy Neimeyer patterns as well. Both designers have fabulous patterns that are just screaming ...BATIK!!!
    Here is the link to her web site .. great inspiration!

http://www.becolourful.nl/en/index.htm

Me too, me too!
    My recent project...
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeO123
    I just want to say a really big shoutout to all Batik Addicts. I am a huge fan of Batiks. I have recently finished a 3D quilt using Batiks. It has little 3D characters that fly kites and seals and rope. It was such an exciting project.

If you love batiks let me know about your project. I just love new inspiration.

Wacky Jacky
    Latest Batik Project
    Name:  Attachment-112032.jpe
Views: 57
Size:  81.0 KB

It is not a Judy Neimeyer, the pattern is called Joy by Jauquline De Jonge. She has great patterns but they are not for the faint of heart , she is dutch , and it is her husband that does the translations for the directions.... so sometimes there are a few ... not so great ... instructions. I have done Judy Neimeyer patterns as well. Both designers have fabulous patterns that are just screaming ...BATIK!!!
    Oops! My mistake. I have seen her patterns before and
    they are so similar to Judy's that I just assumed it was
    a Judy Neimeyer pattern. It is still beautiful.
    Marcia

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marciacp
    I too just love batiks! My stash of batiks has taken over the space leaving little room for traditional fabrics. I look for projects to combine paper piecings and batiks.
    Lori, I absolutely love your quilt. Was that your first
    Judy Neimeyer, or have you done others?
    Marcia
    Here is the link to her web site .. great inspiration!

http://www.becolourful.nl/en/index.htm
    I checked them out....never in my lifetime will I be able to do something like that :!: :? :roll: I probably have the ability, but not the attention span.

I too Love, Love, Love Batiks, Great job.

I also love Batiks. I am a new quilter and sewer. I have trouble distinguishing the right side of fabric from the wrong side. Any suggestions?

Wowee!!!!

Yep, unless you can really tell the difference between the right and wrong side, don't even let it worry you! I never do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdrlinda
    I also love Batiks. I am a new quilter and sewer. I have trouble distinguishing the right side of fabric from the wrong side. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by be a quilter
    My only understanding of batik is an Indonesian way of printing the material. What else am I missing? What is so special about batiks, a certain look, feel, quality?
    there is no right or wrong side... the feel is different, and they can have soooo many colors rolled together

Quote Originally Posted by rb.
    Signing in, addict here. LOL. Once I started buying batiks, I stopped buying anything else...except black solid. Cutting my batiks hurts me, but I do it.

< batik avatar
    I am also a batiks addict and yes I have a really hard time cutting them. But now with the economy the way it is and both my husband and I out of work I am now able to use my stash and very glad to have it.
    LOVE, LOVE my batiks.

I too love batiks. Although I have never made a quilt with only batik fabric, i have used them in quilts and for backings. I recently spent $80 on a batik for the back of the quilt I'm making for my bed at the lake featuring the Wind and Waves fabric. the batik had shells and starfish in it. In the future-like hopefully this year-I have plans to make a batik quilt for my DIL(who will be giving me a grandbaby this Sept.) for Christmas. And I would like to make a Bargello wallhanging for my dining room featuring all batiks. LOVE,LOVE, LOVE them!

Dkm
    I love batiks and this is a laugh....I hate to cut them up. They are the best to work with when doing stain glass projects. Anytime that I have a project with the raw edge effect I always use them.

My daughter-in-law is a PA
    Name:  Attachment-113545.jpe
Views: 85
Size:  41.6 KB

WOW!!!! work of art, love it

I'll be leaving in about 2 weeks to go to Malaysia and plan to shop for batiks there, and possibly take a class in making batiks.

Count me in on the Batik Addicts club! Love your quilt!!

I love Batiks as well. In fact, we have over 150 bolts of batiks in my store. Here is some examole of how batiks make quilts pop out.

One is one of our kits, another a variation of the delectable mountain pattern using batiks, and my favorite is tumbling blocks using one Batik as the insides. They remind me of Japanese Lanturns.

Lanny

Tumbling Blocks
    Name:  Attachment-113887.jpe
Views: 138
Size:  49.1 KB

Delectable Mts
    Name:  Attachment-113904.jpe
Views: 89
Size:  124.8 KB

Store Sample
    Name:  Attachment-113905.jpe
Views: 80
Size:  147.3 KB

I am a huge fan of batik and use it most of the time. What book is this pattern from? Love it, thanks for sharing.

I've made two major projects with batiks: A seminole patchwork jacket for my daughter and a king-size quilt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am a batik lover like you . Save the scraps by Gale Bong has a great pattern called geese in the garden I made a king sized quilt and also I did a quilt of wonder blocks by terry Martin where the blocks are on point all of them are batiks .Now I am starting Carol Doaks Book of stars with batiks I will get a friend to get pictures and put them on the computer . I am not adept at that. The wonder block quilt was a very quick way to go and the geese one very detailed .Love what you did.

Blog Entries
    I've seen "batiks" used a lot. Will someone please explain to me what it means. In the dictionery it says "A material printed by an Indonesian method by hand-printing textiles by coating with wax the parts not to be dyed". Sort of like those eggs I used to make. Now, I don't think that is what it is meant in quilting. Is it a whole bunch of material of the same color pallat?
    Rita

Love the quilt-so colourful!

I love working with batiks too. If I had more time I would make more batik quilts, the movement and rich colors are so enjoyable to work with.

Log Cabin... I just love these bright colors!
    Name:  Attachment-116548.jpe
Views: 110
Size:  140.5 KB

Made for a friend that loves the ocean!
    Name:  Attachment-116549.jpe
Views: 33
Size:  117.7 KB

Blog Entries
    thats really pretty both of them

Blog Entries
    thats really pretty both of them

Blog Entries