Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Batik Addicts

WOW to each and every one of you who has posted a batik quilt or project. They are all wonderful! From another batik lover.

I too love batiks. Great post and beautiful quilts.

I love batiks too!! Here's some of mine plus a few done with chenille.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-56568-1.htm

Great quilt!!!

As many of you know, I lived in Bali for 2 years so yes, I too, am an addict! I sold about 2000 yards of batik to many of you on this quilting board and I will be returning on 7 March from another trip to Bali where I'll be bringing back more batik!
    I love the good batiks that come from Bali and Java and do not waste my time on the cheap, low quality stuff that comes from India. If anyone ever has any questions about batik, feel free to PM me and I'll sure try to answer them!!

Wonderful

Blog Entries
    I absolutely love the tumbling blocks!!

That log cabin quilt is stunning!! Great use of color. I love it, thanks for sharing. You have inspired me!

Blog Entries
    Lakesidequilter, I love your color choices. Beautiful! When I started buying batiks back in the 70s they looked very different from today's batiks and they cost an outrageous $4 a yard. A lot of money back then! Here is a vest made of batiks bought in 1974.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am also a batik addict. Mostly I am very reluctant to cut into them (I'm more of a batik collector than a quilter of them) but I did work up this project last year.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I love batiks too! Anybody have a good pattern for balipops?

Quote Originally Posted by catmcclure
    I've made two major projects with batiks: A seminole patchwork jacket for my daughter and a king-size quilt.
    Your quilt is really a simple pattern but is magnificient with the use of the batiks. All the variations and shading give it such life. I am buying more and more batiks and fewer prints. I am loving the light tan and white batiks with stamping and imagages printed on them. There are fewer of them but some are so effective to contrast the darker ones. Mary

Quote Originally Posted by lakesidequilter
    Me too, me too!
    My recent project...
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeO123
    I just want to say a really big shoutout to all Batik Addicts. I am a huge fan of Batiks. I have recently finished a 3D quilt using Batiks. It has little 3D characters that fly kites and seals and rope. It was such an exciting project.

If you love batiks let me know about your project. I just love new inspiration.

Wacky Jacky
    I did a couple of Laughing Lizzy Pattern, "Woven Wire" with batiks except for the "wires" and used a couple of regular fabrics solids for them. My King size is in Kansas as my daughter's Christmas present and my newest is in the quilt show this weekend. I used mostly blues and greens where the focus fabric had ferns printed over the color. They were easy and fast and beautiful. It starts as a split rail with some pazazz added. Mary

Love the quilt, can't imagine it in any fabrics other than batiks. I too am a huge fan of batiks, if a shop doesn't have a good selection of them I'm very disappointed. Not even going to attempt to say how many batik fabrics I have!

Crazy about iris is also absolutely incredible! What an intricate work of art!

I have been slowly collecting batiks for the past few months. I'm considering doing a D9P with them. I thought if I did a black center (which would be cut in fourths) it would help unify as I have a wide variety of colors. I showed my fabrics to a non quilter, and she got a very funny look on her face. Will this end up being too wild? Do I need to stick with just a few colors? I have some deep tones and also a couple very lights...Any suggestions? I love looking at all your batik quilts!

Quote Originally Posted by perci2
    I just (today) bought the 6th book in the Scrap Therapy series by Brenda Henning. It is devoted to balipops and she has a good hint about the tendency for them not to be cut evenly. Some cute patterns but not necessarily "new".

Quote Originally Posted by Ritacarl
    I've seen "batiks" used a lot. Will someone please explain to me what it means. In the dictionery it says "A material printed by an Indonesian method by hand-printing textiles by coating with wax the parts not to be dyed". Sort of like those eggs I used to make. Now, I don't think that is what it is meant in quilting. Is it a whole bunch of material of the same color pallat?
    Rita
    Yes, batik is a method of printing fabrics that uses wax to "resist" dyes in certain design areas. They can be monochromatic (one color) or polychromatic (more than one color). The wax is removed after the fabric is dyed. Good batiks are, for all intents and purposes, indistinguishable with regard to a right or wrong side. They (good batiks) don't ravel and have a good hand to them. And yes, there are cheap, knock-off printed batiks to be avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S
    Quote Originally Posted by marciacp
    Quote Originally Posted by Lori S
    I too just love batiks! My stash of batiks has taken over the space leaving little room for traditional fabrics. I look for projects to combine paper piecings and batiks.
    Lori, I absolutely love your quilt. Was that your first
    Judy Neimeyer, or have you done others?
    Marcia
    It is not a Judy Neimeyer, the pattern is called Joy by Jauquline De Jonge. She has great patterns but they are not for the faint of heart , she is dutch , and it is her husband that does the translations for the directions.... so sometimes there are a few ... not so great ... instructions. I have done Judy Neimeyer patterns as well. Both designers have fabulous patterns that are just screaming ...BATIK!!!
    Here is the link to her web site .. great inspiration!

http://www.becolourful.nl/en/index.htm
    I love these ladies' quilt patterns but I hate, hate, hate to paper-piece. Feel like it would be a benefit to be dyslexic when pp'ing.

Great quilt!

Adorable ... and yes I'm a batik addict too.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA

I just want to say a really big shoutout to all Batik Addicts. I am a huge fan of Batiks. I have recently finished a 3D quilt using Batiks. It has little 3D characters that fly kites and seals and rope. It was such an exciting project.

Wacky Jacky
    Got inspiration from Quick Quilts, March 2010
    I will try to upload a batik rail fence I finished a few months ago for one of my granddaughters. Your quilt above is so cute and creative.

Lesley

Batik Rail Fence (irregular strips) approx. 96x107
    Name:  Attachment-127411.jpe
Views: 87
Size:  78.7 KB

Absolutely gorgeous, AlaskaSunshine!!

Lesley

Quote Originally Posted by lesmize

Wacky Jacky
    Got inspiration from Quick Quilts, March 2010
    I will try to upload a batik rail fence I finished a few months ago for one of my granddaughters. Your quilt above is so cute and creative.

Lesley
    I love the bright colors!!

That is so cute! I have bolts of batiks but I haven't had the time to make anything. I have thought of selling them, but, I think they are so pretty I can't bring myself to! :)

Quote Originally Posted by dixiechunk
    Quote Originally Posted by perci2
    I just (today) bought the 6th book in the Scrap Therapy series by Brenda Henning. It is devoted to balipops and she has a good hint about the tendency for them not to be cut evenly. Some cute patterns but not necessarily "new".
    Please tell me what a balipop is? I know Bali.
    Thanks.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast