Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batiks at Connecting Threads!!! >

Batiks at Connecting Threads!!!

Batiks at Connecting Threads!!!

Old 08-24-2010, 02:47 AM

Mattee it sounds like you got some bad fabric, don't know why...

I just got 6 yds of 2 fabrics and have a great 'hand', they feel like Northcott fabrics and they aren't thin at all. A friend came by today and she was amazed at the value and the great quality and said she was going to order some now too. I hope hers comes in the same quality as mine are.

Did you contact CT about the thin fabric?

I've been ordering threads from them for 6-7 years but have only on occasion gotten fabrics, cuz generally their prints aren't my taste. It has just been recently that I saw a few that I wanted to try.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 08-24-2010, 06:37 AM

Sue,

I've got to assume that maybe my expectations are just a bit different than those of many on this board, or I have the worst luck ever when it comes to CT, since only a few people agree with me. I don't think it was a fluke, because we're talking a couple dozen different fabrics over a three year period - all poor quality.

I have contacted CT about that and other issues, and unfortunately, have always received poor customer service, both via email and over the phone. By "poor," I mean they fail to resolve, and in some cases, even respond, to my issue.

I don't think it's the end of the world, I just only use them for quick and easy projects, rather than more work intensive things I care more about. It just kind of stinks, because there's a few kits I would love to order, but I know I don't want to put that much work in on something using fabrics that aren't top quality.

I'm glad so many other people have had such great luck!
Old 08-24-2010, 10:16 AM

Mattee, considering your experience, I would not order the fabrics from Connecting Threads.

How about the threads? What has been your experience? Gratefully I've always been delighted with them. I've read some people say the threads break or have slubs, I've not had that experience either. I wonder if they were using the wrong size needle.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:20 AM

I just ordered some yardage and two charm packs from them in their batik line. The yardage is on its way now and the charm packs I have to wait for still, which is a bummer. I will share if it is good or not when they get here. This is my second time ordering fabric off the internet. I am petrified to get it. But at the same time I am ready to bust in anticipation.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:40 AM

Sue,

I have a lot of their thread, and use it a lot. I don't know as much about thread as I do about fabric, so I guess I feel like it's difficult to tell much about its quality, but I haven't had any problems. I use it a lot for applique, especially hand applique. It's just so expensive to have to buy matching threads for applique pieces, that I find the CT thread the cheapest way to go often. I must admit though, that based purely on my fabric experience, I am a bit nervous of their thread, and I tend not to use it on my most treasured projects, or in my Bernina, which is far more expensive than the other two machines I own. If it's going to clog up a machine (and I don't really know if it will), I want it to be a cheap machine!
Old 08-24-2010, 11:00 AM

Mattee, I use the threads almost exclusively on my Janome6500 even tho I have other brands in my collection .. sulky, Mettler, Gutterman etc. I would love to try Aurofil but can't justify buying anymore threads because I really do have enough. I 'want' it, but do not 'need' it.

Personally I have found that the threads do not leave much lint in my bobbin area. Most often the lint I find is from the fabric or technique that I am using.

I will admit that I do not use CT in my bobbin. I love Bottom Line thread from Superior and that is the only thread I use in the bobbin. It is a finer weight, lasts a long time in the bobbin meaning less bobbin changes. I love it.

I don't make 'heirloom' quilts, just quilts for family (mostly grand kids) who will most likely love them to death and I do make quilts or art quilts for hanging. So I probably don't have the same concerns that you do.