Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Battery Operated Sewing Machine

JT
    Try some hand applique.

Blog Entries
    I bought an old Singer portable to convert to a handcrank, so I can use it outside when it is just too nice to stay inside.

My idea of camping is in a 35' camper with a 10' x 20' covered porch attached to it. Have my own queen sized bed, a full bathroom and a full kitchen. I even have a sewing machine (singer 221) and spinning wheel (little gem by majacraft) just for the camper! I love nature, but on my terms :-)
    Camping season coming soon, can't wait!

Blog Entries
    your better off trying to get a machine on freecycle in your area,or at a garage sale.
    i would not bother with a battery operated machine. i bought one for my friends kid..and it was junk.

if you could afford to buy a machine for travel, get a janome "sewest- 509. They run between $99- $169" .
    or look for a machine at walmart.

i take my sewing mchine with me whenever i go camping!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by yolanda
    PS.. of all places this board is where i thought for sure i'd find someone whos' thought of this or who could give me suggestions - i am taking the silence to suggest i do need some help ... :-) "Hi my name is Yolanda and I am addicted to making quilts..." ;-)
    I think (but I'm not sure) they only do a chain stitch. It would put a lot of bulk on the back of the fabric and also would not be very strong. I have an old hand crank Singer that was the first portable sewing machine made. You should see if you could find one of those hanging around on e bay or somewhere. I tell my DDIL that she can take it camping with her. (She DOES NOT sew!) I also think you would have to take a truckload of batteries with you.

Quote Originally Posted by irishrose
    Quilters on the vintage site love handcranks for camping. I can't speak from experience, but it'd sew a better seam if you can find one.
    My significant other is into antique car shows. Personally, I can stand it for about 5 minutes but I want to be with him. Solution? Quilt while he gawks!

Here's a picture of his '62 T-bird (on the left) and a $80, 000 restored Tbird on the right. In the middle is me and my hand crank. It was wonderful to be able to do SOMETHING while there. Plus, IMHO, I pulled in the crowds because people were curious about what I was doing. The funniest thing was how many didn't know about hand crank machines! :-)

By the way, I made VERY sure that my umbrella, if it fell over, wouldn't come close to the $80K car!!! I also found it funny that the owner, who I'll call Mr. Old Grumpy, complained about my sewing taking attention away from his car! :roll: But, as I said, I was pulling in the crowds!! he he he

All the comforts of home.... almost!
    Name:  Attachment-176897.jpe
Views: 32
Size:  61.0 KB

Super Member Central Ohio Quilter's Avatar
    I do quilting all the time when we camp, but I have an dedicated project to work on only when camping - an all hand-pieced, hand quilted quilt. Yes, it is going to take me a few years, but in that time I will have an entire quilt that is entirely done by hand, not something that is done very often any more.

I have had this quilt project going for two summers now and soon to begin the third. It is almost all pieced together. I think I have only one more border to sew on. I haven't seen it or taken it out of its tote bag since our last camping trip last November. I am looking forward to getting out camping for our first time in 2011 in the next couple weeks. My camping quilting project will be pulled out again then. Can hardly wait!

Quote Originally Posted by DesiG
    My idea of camping is in a 35' camper with a 10' x 20' covered porch attached to it. Have my own queen sized bed, a full bathroom and a full kitchen. I even have a sewing machine (singer 221) and spinning wheel (little gem by majacraft) just for the camper! I love nature, but on my terms :-)
    Camping season coming soon, can't wait!
    Please don't feel silly for starting this topic. I've always wanted to know about those battery operated machines and now I do. I'm looking for a FW to use in the camper, but for now, my 301 will do. This year will be the first time, I'll be taking my sewing with me also the first year, we have a seasonal spot to park the camper all season. Can't wait!!

I went to Mountain Quiltfest in Pigeon Forge TN 2nd week of March and took a hand work class from Cindy Blackburg. She has developed stamps for her patterns that you just stamp on fabric. I have carried the fabric with me and worked on the Mountain BLossom blocks everytime I have a chance and have finished 4-blocks. Maybe you could check out something like that. It has both pieced blocks and embrodery. Very pretty blocks and is totally portable.

We have a camp without power or water. I have a battery operated machine and have used it for many years with no problem. You of course sew at a much lower speed than used to but it worked for me.

We have a camp without power or water. I have a battery operated machine and have used it for many years with no problem. You of course sew at a much lower speed than used to but it worked for me.

I did, I took one of those inexpensive machines camping and had a good time. It seems like if anyone has to stay in camp and watch the dogs while everyone else is gone doing, its me. So I took one of those battery operated ones, and it worked great. I was able to sew several blocks with it. It was actually fun and am thinking of doing it again this yr in case we stay up there longer than the kids and grandkids. There seems like there is always some down time and its great fun to have something like that to do.

I am going camping and am considering bringing along one of those inexpensive battery operated sewing machines to do some piecing. Has anyone used one? Have any recommendations?

Yolanda

You know what I am going to rent a camp site with electricity just to bring my sewing machine! So I would have to say that you have opened my eyes to a whole new option!

Thanks
    TreeFrog

I used to have a battery powered sewing machine. Mine made a really nice stitch. I let my GD use it and she knocked it off the table so I no longer have one. I bought it for when the power is out. I am definitely not the camping out type of person. Now I hand piece everywhere I go when I have to wait somewhere like doctors offices.

I think its a great question, too, I always wondered about them!

How about applique. Put all your background squares with the pieces that go on each one in a separate ziplock. Have each block ready to applique (center markings, pins, thread,needles,small scissors) Thread numerous needles and place in a small pin cushion in a ziplock. Then you can applique in the car too. We have a place in west Texas and one in Arkansas..lots of road time. I applique and make yo yos all the way there and back. I was amazed how much I could do.
    D in TX

Banned
    Blog Entries
    PS.. of all places this board is where i thought for sure i'd find someone whos' thought of this or who could give me suggestions - i am taking the silence to suggest i do need some help ... :-) "Hi my name is Yolanda and I am addicted to making quilts..." ;-)
    Hi, Yolanda.
    My name is Deonn and I am a quiltaholic. If it's an addiction, I don't want to be cured!!

Anything is possible. Years ago I lived in Oregon and was taking a jewelry class at the college and was in a weaving guild where we did weaving and spinning. Meet a couple who were going to school and doing everything I did and they lived in the forest in a tent. When the forest service found them, they packed up and moved on somewhere else. Where there is desire, it happens!

Anything is possible. Years ago I lived in Oregon and was taking a jewelry class at the college and was in a weaving guild where we did weaving and spinning. Meet a couple who were going to school and doing everything I did and they lived in the forest in a tent. When the forest service found them, they packed up and moved on somewhere else. Where there is desire, it happens!

That's a good question. I know because I bought one of them to take camping! You will not be happy with it; at least I wasn't. Being older and wiser (I hope), I would now look for a hand-crank to take camping. I love the quiet of campgrounds with no electricity and no generators allowed, but a handcrank will silently give beautiful stitches. Have fun.

I am going camping and am considering bringing along one of those inexpensive battery operated sewing machines to do some piecing. Has anyone used one? Have any recommendations?
    I know of a group of quilters whose families have cabins up in the mountains. They don't take battery operated sewing machines, but they all have treadle machines that they carry up there and sew.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
    I didn't think of a handcrank - very nice! Actually I feel silly posting this and have decided to learn to crochet or bring along a swedish weave project I have waiting in a closet ;-)
    How about a hand piecing project?
    You could machine sew a whole bunch of applique pieces with fusible ala Eleanor Burns, and then while away you could do the turning and hand sew them down. Although a battery run iron to fuse them would be good, a wooden pressing stick and a few pins would probably be okay. There is a Baltimore Album thread on here currently that might be inspiring.

Crochet is worth learning, too, because you can stay busy for hours with one hook and a ball of thread. (Is it heresy to advocate it here?)

I just had a funny idea: Can anyone explain why a skilled sewing machine repair person couldn't add a hand crank to just about any machine? They all make stitches when you turn the wheel, right? A crank is just an axle with a knob that rotates. How hard could it be? Just wondering.

There is NO CURE for this addiction! I even have a tee-shirt with an old Pfaff sewing machine on it that says this.

A handcrank; that is what you need. Don't have to worry 'bout battery recharge.
    Name:  Attachment-177012.jpe
Views: 74
Size:  95.6 KB

Years ago in the 70's we used to work Gun Shows. My job was primarily slave work, setting up, taking down, packing, unpacking--you get the idea. So I sat and hand-pieced blocks all day while my husband did all the B.S.ing and by the end of the show season I had a queen size quilt all ready to put together.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast