Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Battery Operated Sewing Machine

I have never done it myself, but I taught a beginners quilt class. One of the students brought in a little machine like this. I kind of thought - Oh boy. Well - At the end of the class, her quilt was simply beautiful. She hand quilted it, but the little machine did fine for the piecing.

I looked at these online :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Up North
    I take one with me camping for my granddaughter I paid $20.00 for it at Rite aid In fact I now have two of them It sews like a dream. My Grandaughter sews on it and has made a quilt, pillows and stuffed dolls, Even an outfit one time I have used it while camping if I need to mend something too.

THose are not battery operated right? I tent camp so no power or generator.
    Quote Originally Posted by watterstide
    your better off trying to get a machine on freecycle in your area,or at a garage sale.
    i would not bother with a battery operated machine. i bought one for my friends kid..and it was junk.

if you could afford to buy a machine for travel, get a janome "sewest- 509. They run between $99- $169" .
    or look for a machine at walmart.

i take my sewing mchine with me whenever i go camping!

THose are not battery operated right? I tent camp so no power or generator.
    Quote Originally Posted by watterstide
    your better off trying to get a machine on freecycle in your area,or at a garage sale.
    i would not bother with a battery operated machine. i bought one for my friends kid..and it was junk.

if you could afford to buy a machine for travel, get a janome "sewest- 509. They run between $99- $169" .
    or look for a machine at walmart.

i take my sewing mchine with me whenever i go camping!

Thanks for the picture this is great!
    Quote Originally Posted by QBeth
    Quote Originally Posted by irishrose
    Quilters on the vintage site love handcranks for camping. I can't speak from experience, but it'd sew a better seam if you can find one.
    My significant other is into antique car shows. Personally, I can stand it for about 5 minutes but I want to be with him. Solution? Quilt while he gawks!

Here's a picture of his '62 T-bird (on the left) and a $80, 000 restored Tbird on the right. In the middle is me and my hand crank. It was wonderful to be able to do SOMETHING while there. Plus, IMHO, I pulled in the crowds because people were curious about what I was doing. The funniest thing was how many didn't know about hand crank machines! :-)

By the way, I made VERY sure that my umbrella, if it fell over, wouldn't come close to the $80K car!!! I also found it funny that the owner, who I'll call Mr. Old Grumpy, complained about my sewing taking attention away from his car! :roll: But, as I said, I was pulling in the crowds!! he he he

love this!
    Quote Originally Posted by Annaquilts
    I would see if you could find an antique hand crank or convert an old machine to a hand crank. I do english paper piecing and read a lot of quilt books.

Now wouldn't this be the perfect hand crank to take along.
    http://wn.com/handcrank

what is GFG?
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilter54
    Quote Originally Posted by milp04
    Quote Originally Posted by yolanda
    I am going camping and am considering bringing along one of those inexpensive battery operated sewing machines to do some piecing. Has anyone used one? Have any recommendations?

Hi Yolanda,

Typically sewers are not happy with these sewing machines.

You could find out if your camping site is equipped with electric and take a 3/4 size machine depending on how long you plan on camping.

This might be a good time to start a hand project to take along camping. There are several great options. One would be the GFG, Grandmother's Flower Garden. It's a great take along. The Cathedral Window is another hand sewing project. It can be started at home by machine and then worked by hand when away from home, another take along.

There are several others that would be something to check into but I'm not able to put a name to them at this time. I'll repost if I think of them later.

I personally like to spend outdoor time with some sort of handwork. I like the quietness of camping. I like to do redwork type stitching and have several in different colors so I don't get bored. I'm also thinking of starting a GFG to use up small scrap sizes. There was a nice posting of someone who had a nice plastic container to take along her project as she traveled.

Good luck, enjoy camping.

Pam M
    The posting you are talking about inspired me to start GFG. I am in the Bahama's right now & my project is with me. We also camp & this will be my take along project.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 3TreeFrog
    Quote Originally Posted by yolanda
    I am going camping and am considering bringing along one of those inexpensive battery operated sewing machines to do some piecing. Has anyone used one? Have any recommendations?

Yolanda

You know what I am going to rent a camp site with electricity just to bring my sewing machine! So I would have to say that you have opened my eyes to a whole new option!

Thanks
    TreeFrog
    When we go camping even though we only have a tent....we ALWAYS ALWAYS get a site with Electricity. ALWAYS. And I DO take my sewing machine with me and something to sew on. My husband relaxes so much when were out camping that hes in bed by 6 or 7 pm and I get tired of just sitting there twiddling my thumbs and being bored to death. A few years ago for the 4th of July we went camping over on the Oregon coast with my daughter and her husband and her and I went to Walmart, bought yarn and I taught her how to make a new crochet stitch. The people next to us thought we were crazy crocheting especially since she had white yarn. LOL

GFG is Grandmother's Flower Garden.

Are you talking about the little hand held battery operated machines? Take the advice and don't bother. Do not stitch well.
    No need to feel silly. I would take my machine if I could afford to go camping. Why should we give up our passion just because we are not at home?

Blog Entries
    I have a little battery operated machine that I used to take to work with me. It does a chain stitch. I made several quilt tops on that little machine. It was all plastic and was really small kind of like Singer Tiny Taylor. I bought it out of a junk mail catalog. I know I still have it but it is probably buried some place in my store room. But I had very good luck with it. Couldn't tell you what brand it was or anything tho.

The ones I have do a locking stitch so I have had no problems!! But I bought them at Rite at at Christmas time and for 20 dollars they sew pretty good! great for a camping machine

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4