Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting....Ignorance was bliss >

Batting....Ignorance was bliss

Batting....Ignorance was bliss

Old 03-20-2010, 07:40 PM

Yes, cotton is nice, indeed. :) It's actually all I use specifically for all the reasons you noted. I buy it by the roll at Hobby Lobby when they have their 40% off coupons. I bought a 12 yard 92" wide roll last week which is normally $10 per yard ($120) but got it for $72 with the coupon. That'll make me 5 or 6 quilts.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by miholmes
I see I can get a whole 40 yard roll for like 220 on Joann.com cause it's 30% off right now.

But no...I've never even HEARD of bamboo....interesting.
Through 4-3 it's 50% off. Do eeeet. DO EEEET. Because then I can justify ME doooooing it...
Old 03-21-2010, 04:51 AM

my lqs had a $2.00/yard off batting coupon in their newsletter. I have a partial bolt of W&N but wanted this- I just love the feel of it. I think it's called Quilters Dream. Anyway- after deciding to buy 10 yards and talking to owner, I came away with a bolt. I am so very happy with my purchase- now I have the option of which batting for what end result.

And I figure I have enough batting for the year. I'm trying to stay out of the stores- the goal is to use what I have.

Love to feel that softness and know when the quilt is finished it has good "bones".
Old 03-21-2010, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
I prefer using 100% cotton in my quilts. Years ago I made a baby quilt that got used and washed many, many times. Had the opportunity to see it again about 15 years later and I could not believe how *soft* it had become. It was like hugging a cloud! That quilt was made with Mountain Mist Blue Ribbon 100% cotton batting.

Years ago I used Warm n Natural a lot, but I eventually came to dislike the stiffness of the drape.

Just read an article about bamboo that says the fiber has to go through very toxic processes to be made into batting. It is often touted as eco-friendly, but cotton is actually more eco-friendly in terms of processing.
I use Hobbs 80/20, 100% cotton w/scrim or wool. I really like the Hobbs products and find them very cost effective. I have a roll of W&N, but to me it's so flat that it really doesn't give much of a good of a stitch definition in the final product. It's stiff, not soft, and I don't care for the final drape in a quilt. But I've found it's great for purses, wall quilts and placemats where you want a bit more firmness. Quilters Dream also has nice products, but is more expensive to have shipped here (no one carries locally). I do use some poly's, if the quilt calls for it, but really prefer the cotton. I just like the way it feels over poly, regardless of brand.

Also wanted to add that I tried bamboo. Loved the softness, but the lint was awful! It was all over the place! I won't use it again - just too much trouble to clean up after. And I thought if it's flying all over the place, imagine what I must be breathing in! I also have read about the chemical processes it goes through, and am shocked. That feels somewhat untruthful to me...since it's thought of as more eco-friendly.

All just my opinions - of course :)
Old 03-21-2010, 06:12 AM

I always use cotton, much to the dismay of my kids. They love the huge puffiness of the polyester. I actually have one quilt that is not quite 25 years old that had the polyester, but all that's left of the batting is lumps here and there.

If you want to read more about the bamboo, check http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-33882-1.htm
Old 03-21-2010, 06:41 AM

I just love to use Warm & Natural on everything from quilts to table runners. It's so easy to work with and I don't think it's that expensive. Check the on line stores and someone always has it at a good price....
Old 03-22-2010, 07:59 AM

I tried the bamboo batting but don't think I'll use it again. The lint problem was a pain in the you-know-what! There seemed to be lint everywhere and was hard to clean off the quilt even with a lint roller. I certainly won't use it again.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by miholmes
Alright,

So it's was my 5th quilt. A baby quilt for a friend. I went to Hancock and they were having 40% off batting. So I got cotton batting.

Is it just be or is it a DREAM to work with? No snagging, easy to manipulate, easy to cut. Seemed warmer in my lap when I was machine quilting it.

And in the end after I washed the quilt it just seemed to have a better loft, not to mention the quilt felt more "solid"
I agree the stuff is awesome to work with.. I do a LOT of charity quilts for the soldiers with a group of ladies... ... and would not consider using something less because it is charity.... that is one of our pet peeves.. actually ... all our quilts are of the quality you would give a good friend. I have been in groups where the quality was awful and quilts made of dollar fabrics because they are JUST for charity. put your heart into every quilt if you would not like to receive it ........probably it is better not to give it. HMHO :)

Perhaps it's all in my mind, but I'm thinking perhaps on "special" non charity quilts I will go with cotton, OR if they have a good sale and it's only a few dollars more I most certainly will pop for the 100% natural cotton, it just seemed to be a nicer product.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:00 AM

I agree with you. I am much older than you are but it took me years to try cotton batting and now I won't use anything else. If you shop at joanne's you can get great buys when they have their coupon sales. If you use a lot you can buy a whole roll when it is 50% off. Keep on learning-you never know all there is to know about quilting.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:26 AM

I noticed when I replied with quote that my response was in the middle of his this part was his not mine.. mine ended with HMHO ..
Perhaps it's all in my mind, but I'm thinking perhaps on "special" non charity quilts I will go with cotton, OR if they have a good sale and it's only a few dollars more I most certainly will pop for the 100% natural cotton, it just seemed to be a nicer product.