Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting....Ignorance was bliss >

Batting....Ignorance was bliss

Batting....Ignorance was bliss

Old 03-23-2010, 09:34 AM

I only use Warm and Natural and I love it.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by miholmes
I see I can get a whole 40 yard roll for like 220 on Joann.com cause it's 30% off right now.

But no...I've never even HEARD of bamboo....interesting.
If you can find wool batting - give that a try. It has a nice loft to it and is nice and snugly. I just finished a quilt and washed and dried it , thinking it might shrink a lot, but it it's great!
Old 03-23-2010, 01:40 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltmom04
If you can find wool batting - give that a try. It has a nice loft to it and is nice and snugly. I just finished a quilt and washed and dried it , thinking it might shrink a lot, but it it's great!
Was it by any chance Hobbs brand? That wool batting is not supposed to shrink. Someone else on the forum just put up pictures of a baby quilt that shrank horribly and unevenly in the wash, and it was only part wool.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
Originally Posted by quiltmom04
Was it by any chance Hobbs brand? That wool batting is not supposed to shrink. Someone else on the forum just put up pictures of a baby quilt that shrank horribly and unevenly in the wash, and it was only part wool.
No, it was 'Quilter's Dream'. Haven't had any problems with their cotton either.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:45 PM

I see I can get a whole 40 yard roll for like 220 on Joann.com cause it's 30% off right now.

It is also used in handmade baby diapers: absorbs LOTS!
Old 03-24-2010, 07:38 AM

I have a friend that works at Joann's and she says if you buy a whole bolt of anything and it is regular price you can use your 40% or 50% coupon on the whole bolt.
nice to know.
Karen :thumbup:
Old 03-24-2010, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
That's what I use too. I love the warm & natural. If you are using light colors, use the warm & white. It makes your quilts look brighter. It's the same price too.

I'm waiting on it to go on sale here, I'm completely out of it.
Connecting Threads has there batting on 30% off until April 5. I ordered some and was happy with it.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:35 PM

Alright,

So it's was my 5th quilt. A baby quilt for a friend. I went to Hancock and they were having 40% off batting. So I got cotton batting.

Is it just be or is it a DREAM to work with? No snagging, easy to manipulate, easy to cut. Seemed warmer in my lap when I was machine quilting it.

And in the end after I washed the quilt it just seemed to have a better loft, not to mention the quilt felt more "solid"

Perhaps it's all in my mind, but I'm thinking perhaps on "special" non charity quilts I will go with cotton, OR if they have a good sale and it's only a few dollars more I most certainly will pop for the 100% natural cotton, it just seemed to be a nicer product.
All of my machine quilting friends in my guild and chapter say 100% cotton and give me a hard time because as a hand quilter I prefer polyester but recently when machine quilting, I realized what the difference would be and agree - machine quilting use warm and natural or something of that nature. They are also raving about the new bamboo and another fiber for machine quilting and they say they wash beautifully so you may want to consider looking into them sometime.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:41 PM

I keep thinking I should get one of these too. Someone on here sent pics of hanging the bolt from the ceiling, so you could just peel off what you needed (like a roll of papertowels). oh one of these days, I'll have a room big enough for that. tee hee
Old 03-25-2010, 02:36 AM

I've never used anything but cotton batting and have never been disappointed. I don't like the look or feel of polyester. The cotton batting also gives more weight and warmth to a quilt.