Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
batting and machine questions >

batting and machine questions

batting and machine questions

Old 01-19-2012, 02:54 PM

Default batting and machine questions

I had bought some Hobbs Heirloom batting in a bag and when I went to spread it out and layer my quilt together, there happened to be a 'wrinkle' in the batting that I couldn't get rid of by smoothing out the batting. Maybe wrinkle isn't the right word, but it was a blemish that didn't allow the batting to lay smooth in that area. Is this normal for batting stored in bags? Is it better to buy it from the bolt?

2nd question: I'm looking at a Juki TL98Q for quilting my quilts. Does it work with a frame? My current machine is a Janome 10001 that is computerized and so I don't think would work with a frame--too small throat space and computerized.

Susan
Old 01-19-2012, 03:07 PM
Power Poster

That Juki is frequently used with a frame. Batting can usually be fluffed out by putting in the dryer with a small damp dowel. Sometimes just spreading it out and letting the fibers relax will fix all the problems too.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:35 PM
Power Poster

I have a Juki TL98Q on a Hinterberg frame. It works great. If you are doing a large quilt, plan on only having 4 - 4 1/2" pattern length available.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:26 PM

i think i know what you mean about the 'wrinkle'...occasionally, the cotton fibers sort of pile up in a spot and get rolled into a flat 'wrinkle'... it can get hard so i pick at them till they fluff out and take off the extra residue... just pick easily, little bits at a time...
Old 01-20-2012, 07:28 AM

Spread it out over a bed and let it breathe for a couple of days. Sometimes I even spritz it with a little mist over the folded part.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:35 AM

and if all those suggestions don't work, take it back to the store. I've had to do that. Usually Hobb's WILL lay out eventually.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:45 AM

good morning. I think the Juki will fit in a frame. I just bought a juki TL98Q and absolutly love it. It is so fast, I love love to stipple quilt and it does a wonderful job. The bigger throat makes such a huge difference. The new Juki is out but I got such a good price in this I got it. Enjoy.
Dawn