Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: batting question, if you will

I need help! I am makiing my dh a quilt for his birthday, (Nov 24th) and he like fluffy or soft batting. What kind of batting would you suggest?

Hey, Happy Birthday to your dh - mine is that day also! I use only Warm & White (100%) cotton, which I get from Joann's. I recently used Warm & Natural because that was all I could get in a king size and I didn't want to have to seam it, but I didn't like it nearly as much as the W & W.

I use a high loft poly batting if I want a fluffy quilt. Most of mine are made with warm a natural and lay a little flatter but I like the way they look. They get a pretty crinkles look when washed.

Quilter's Dream Puff (100% Poly) or QD wool will give you fluffy. IMHO, Wool is YUMMY!!!

Thanks everyone, that should help a bunch! I guess I have been learning about quilting, but not really knowing a whole lot about batting. I have been using 80/20 cotton/poly but it is not "fluffy" so much.

Blog Entries
    Hobb's wool batting would have a higher loft than 80/20 cotton poly. High loft poly would not work if you are going to quilt it by machine.

Quote Originally Posted by PMY in QCA-IL
    Hobb's wool batting would have a higher loft than 80/20 cotton poly. High loft poly would not work if you are going to quilt it by machine.
    Depends on if you are quilting it on a home machine or a longarm. The last 4 quilts I did had Quilter's Dream Puff in them, and two of them were flannel top and bottom. Quilted up beautiful!

Bamboo batting that you can get at JoAnn's I have used it in a baby quilt and in a double size. My quilter had never used it and loved it!

Hobbs Polydown is an easy to handle and quilt batting. It produces a soft fluffy quilt that washes and wears well. I just paid $164 Canadian for a 30 yard roll which works out to $5.46 per yard or about $15 for a large quilt. It machine quilts very well and is easy to unroll and flatten out. I seldom find any thicker or thinner areas which is a problem with some bats and it retains its loft after repeated washings. Our guild uses it for all of our Community quilts.

Is there a difference in Warm & Natural and Warm & White besides the color???

No. Same stuff, just a different color. Manufactured by the same company.

Blog Entries
    Warm and White seems thinner than the Warm and Natural. I would not use either of those for a fluffy look. This type is a lot of wonderful things - but fluffy it is not.

I'm new to quilting too. When I have a break from teaching I'm going to finish two large quilts. My husband says he wants them warm. What batting should I be requesting when I send them to be quilted.
    The tops are local quilt shop cotton, the bottom is either the same or lqs flanne.
    PS I'm learning the abbreviations while on this site and I think DH is dear husband, is that correct?

warm and natural-the thicker it is the harder to quilt and have it look nice-just my opinion

oh, all good information! I plan to quilt this myself!