Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting question >

Batting question

Batting question

Old 08-05-2013, 05:52 AM

I have made quilts with Minkee for the backing without any problems (except the fuzz all over me!). I did make the first one with batting, but it was very heavy! After that I skipped the batting when using Minkee for the back. Good luck!
Old 08-05-2013, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Instead of quilting quilts, some people "tie" their quilts. You thread a large needle with yarn, embroidery floss, perle cotton etc. and with your quilt laying on a flat surface, you go through the layer from the top, go under about 1/4 inch of the sandwich and back up to the top. Tie the 2 ends of the thread together in a double knot and clip the threads at about 1/2 inch long. These " ties" are made every 3 -4 inches over the surface of the quilt.
Tied quilts are "quilted". Anything that holds the three layers (sometimes only two) together is quilting.

I put my quilts on a large frame made of four sticks - 1X4's - with holes drilled every 6 inches all the way down the stick. I have a strip of fabric stapled all along the length of each stick. They are then held together with bolts and the fabric is pinned to the fabric strip on the stick. After the outside edges have been finished as far as I can reach, bolts are removed one side at a time and it gets rolled up on the sticks and the bolts put in a new place.

I have tied two quilts with pearl cotton and they promptly came loose. I had to go over the entire quilt with fray-check on each knot to be sure they wouldn't come undone again. Those I tied with wool yarn NEVER come out. They just get tighter each time you wash them.

Some people tie the knots tightly to the quilt, and some leave them loose so that the batting remains fluffy under the knot. Some people cut the ends of the threads about a half inch long, and others leave them up to four inches long. Most of the embroidery-thread-tied quilts I've seen have the threads about four inches long.

Some tape their quilt backs to a smooth floor with duct tape, then pin the other layers to the back and work around it on the floor. Some clamp the quilt layers to a table a section at a time and move it as each section is tied..

Lots of different ways to do this. Hope you can understand this.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by cmierley View Post
I just finished machine quilting a baby blanket with minky on the front and back. I did not use any batting. I also used Elmer's glue to hold together to guilt. No problem with stretching. The only problem was seeing what I was quilting. Stitches get lost in the minky.

That was my thought on the stretching issue. Love my Elmer's!!
Old 08-05-2013, 12:09 PM

I just made a quilt with minkee 10" squares (layer cake) and used it for the backing also. I put an 80/20 batting in it, I had seriously thought about not putting batting in, but the more I thought about it I decided to do it. The girls getting these are not in a warm climate. For sewing I used a ballpoint needle and a long stitch to put the pieces together and for the machine quilting. I used a glue stick where points came together and did a lot of pinning. I would send a photo, but I have absolutely no clue how to do this. It was a bit of a slow process, but it came together beautifully. I will be doing another very similar doing the same thing.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:13 PM

Maviskw, that is a great response! On the plain's of the US most farmer women did not have but a few, what we now consider quilts, they had many chores to do and did not have the hours to devote to quilting so the quilts were tied, I have one from my grandmother and one from my great grandmother. Quilting was done at your quilting bee and they would take turns going from one person to the next making a quilt, so you might only get one quilted quilt every 3 years. These were not used for everyday uses, they were almost always just in the mom's room or on the back of the couch. They were always folded up at night and sat aside so they didn't get dirty or tore. My grandmother never used the quilted quilts (elsewhere) till all the kids left home, the guest room have one on it and we were sternly warned about being careful with it! So that explains why I have hundred year old quilts....
Old 08-06-2013, 01:31 AM

Meyers I saw a quilt tied but the person had sewn on buttons on top . .