Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting scraps, keep or throw out? >

Batting scraps, keep or throw out?

Batting scraps, keep or throw out?

Old 01-01-2011, 12:35 PM

keep you can also sew together by hand to use for small quilts
Old 01-01-2011, 12:49 PM

I think that is a great idea..........how many sts do you cast on for the hanger and how many rows do you knit??? Would love to do that.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by mom2boyz
Originally Posted by quilting librarian
I saw an interesting QAYG (quilt as you go) method where the sewist used a backing fabric square, strips of scrap batting placed on the backing, and then the top string pieces, laying in the opposite direction of the batting strings. So now I am saving my strips of batting...
Wow, this sounds interesting. Is there a tutorial or link for this?
Yes, try wwwsewmanyquilts-too little time. A gal in Australia shows how to do this . the 2nd part shows how to put them together :-D Great way if you do not have your own long-arm, or for children's quick gifts.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:12 PM

A lot of great tips on left over batting.

I use as small as 1" x 2" near my iron board and sewing machine, they are great for catching loose threads.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:22 PM

I use my batting scraps to make dog beds. I have two little jack russells that love to tear up their pillows. I'm always making new pillows for them. I use my batting as well as my fabric scraps. I belong to a sewing group and we save our scraps and make dog beds for the local dog shelter.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:40 PM

Great ideas. Thanks.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by mom2boyz
I am just finishing my 3rd pieced quilt so I am definitely a newbie. I have learned so much from this site and am addicted to checking the boards once or twice a day. I love the creative and beautiful ways people have used fabric scraps but what about the batting. I have quite a bag full of strips approx 2" wide plus odds and ends from other projects. What do you do with them? They definitely take up space. Thanks for any suggestions.
Keep them! They make great stuffing for teddy bears and any stuffed animals that have lost their "puffiness" They also make good stuffing for pin cushions. I make pin cushions in all different shapes and sell them for 5-10.00 and you can make couch pillows,and well ,I guess I have a hard time tossing anything out.I use it til it can't be used anymore.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:26 PM

I have a friend who makes simple pillows filled with scraps for the local animal shelter. The animals probably really appreciate them.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:11 AM

Love all these ideas. I want to go dig in my scrap bag and make beds for the Humane Society. Thanks for all your tips. Shirley
Old 01-02-2011, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by subyz
I don't keep a lot of the 2" variety but 6" or over I do keep. To me, an easier way of joining pieces is to press fusible tricot (knitted nylon dressmakers' interfacing that I pick up on sale at Joann's). I cut the fusible tricot into two inch wide strips and press approximately one inch onto each side of the batting I am fusing. It is so lightweight, there is no bulge and it's quicker than zigzagging the edges. I use this method anytime I have to supplement the width or length of batting. I almost always buy the largest piece of batting I can when it's on sale and have relatively large 'scraps' leftover.
Fusible interfacing...what a great idea, think I am going to try this for sure. Would save time too.

Plus the dog beds for the local dog shelter sound like a wonderful thing to do! Would love to know more about it :thumbup: