Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting scraps, keep or throw out? >

Batting scraps, keep or throw out?

Batting scraps, keep or throw out?

Old 12-31-2010, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
Someone said they use them on their Swiffer. Just a thought if you don't think you'll use them any other way.
I did that recently. Just cut a rectangular piece to fit the sole plate, the coarse hooks on the device hold it it place. Make a handful, use them until dirty, then throw in the wash. Lots "greener" than using the throwaways, and much cheaper too! You can also mix up your own cleaning solution and not buy the throw away bottles.

I love the old saying, from the depression I guess (before my time!)
"Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without!"

IMHO, We would be in a better place in our country if we practiced this philosophy more today!
Old 12-31-2010, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by munchkinmama
Keep for packing up Christmas ornaments
This is a great idea. Wouldn't you know I just finished wrapping mine in napkins and tissue paper.

I use small pieces of batting to wipe (kind of scrub) my cutting mat.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:09 AM
lbc

When I have scraps big enough to cut 5" squares, I do that and set them aside and then later make coasters. They are not only pretty, but very functional.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:09 AM

I also keep small pieces for small projects, but you can piece large or small pcs of batting to make 1 larger pc. Lay them next to each other, not overlapping -- that would create a bulky seam, then loosely stitch (don't draw the thread up tight) each side by hand w/ a large stitch from one side then the other until all down the line. You don't need a regular "secure" seam -- especially if you stitch thru whatever you put them in, normally a loose stitch is enough. I LOVE all the great ideas - especially the Space Bags -- guess that's what I'll do with my New Year's resolution to organize the sewing room closet. As for using them as dusters & swiffers - be careful -- some batting is scratchy, so don't use on your tv or computer monitor screens.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:16 AM

I throw my scraps away. Used to keep them, but never found a use for them. I live in a small house so I try to get rid of as much clutter as I can. If you can use your scraps for wall hangings, doll quilts, coasters etc. by all means keep them. If you find that scraps are just taking up space that could be put to better use, throw them away.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:36 AM

I save mine as well - but never thought I could use them in so many ways. Thanks for all the ideas - my mind is working overtime
Old 12-31-2010, 11:37 AM

Small pieces are great for trapunto. Search for that and you will find all kinds of pictures, instructions & videos.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:49 AM

I would just like to say that yours and many of the other suggestions for leftover batting are just great and some I would have never thought of. We have several species of birds that nest in our yard every year and I love that I can personally contribute to help making their nests. Thanks for yours and all the great suggestions I see here.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:57 AM

I've purchased Insul brite at Hobby Lobby in Rock Hill SC, so other Hobby Lobby's in SC may have it, too.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by lisbonlizzy
Hi,

This is what I do with batting and material scraps that are too small to really use, I have my two grandchildren, ages 7 and 4, help out the birds by placing these little pieces in bushes and trees they can reach. It gives them a first-hand lesson about life and helping out other creatures. They fed the birds at home, but now they help the birds build their nests, too. They love it!

Lisbonlizzy
Do birds use thread? The snippets seem to grow and grow. I hate to throw it away if they can use it. thanks for the ideas.