Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting Scraps >

Batting Scraps

Batting Scraps

Old 07-01-2016, 02:44 PM

I stitch all scraps together and use for practice sandwiches! I will conquer FMQ (one day) - LOL!

Hugs

Caroline
Old 07-01-2016, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by CarolinePaj View Post
I stitch all scraps together and use for practice sandwiches! I will conquer FMQ (one day) - LOL!

Hugs......

Caroline
great idea ....think ill try
Old 07-01-2016, 07:10 PM

Thanks for this idea...
I think I will be using this to finish charity quilts and daily use quilts...
Kirsten
Old 07-02-2016, 04:31 AM

We hear a lot on here about saving scraps to make pet beds, so why are we throwing away the batting. It makes beautiful pillows. If I were to make a pillow for my own use, I would shred the batting by just pulling it apart in all directions. (This can take the place of a Dammit Doll.) I sew the pillow cover and leave a not-too-small opening; then tuck all batting scraps into this as they are created. I've even given some of these to the food pantry. Someone there needs a pillow.
Old 07-02-2016, 04:45 AM

I don't save the smaller scraps. Probably anything less than 12"x36 goes. I have too many scraps. I sew up a bag that is next to my machine for a pet bed. When the bag is full I sew it shut and a pet bed is finished. I have too many fabric scraps and have been throwing out more of those too. I have 5 pet beds ready to deliver right now. I figure at least I'm not wasting these things.
Old 07-02-2016, 04:49 AM

I too save scraps of batting for hot pads and practice sandwiches, only takes a few minutes to zigzag the scraps together
Old 07-02-2016, 08:16 AM

I save batting scraps down to one inch in width. Narrow one inch pieces are used in handles for tote bags. It makes the handles more firm. All the rest are zig zaged together for smaller projects, place mats, runners, totes. Larger pieces may be zig zaged together for smaller quilts. Nothing goes to waste. I sometimes use micropore surgical tape to "piece" odd sized pieces together, especially if I am in a hurry. It just holds the batting edges together, is thin enough to be negligent in the quilting process. I don't know if dissolves in the wash but once the quilting is done the batting holds together in the finished process. I do usually quilt quite closely and I use a warm and natural batting. I don't think it would work on a polyester batting, but I don't use that anyway.
Old 07-02-2016, 03:53 PM

I used to throw my small pieces in a bag to use as stuffing for toys. But, a customer came in and showed me her latest project. She is making pillows for the holidays and the fabric used are pictures (santa in front of the chimney, a tree with presents, a sleigh with reindeer, etc.). She is making them 3D by backing them with muslin, stitching around certain things (the santa, the tree, the sleigh, etc) and stuffing them with bits of batting. I don't want to make pillows, but I immediately thought about 3D stockings or decorating the front of tote bags. So, now I will dig into my batting scrap bag.
Old 07-02-2016, 03:56 PM
Power Poster

I use small pieces to test out FMQ patterns and threads/tension.
Old 07-02-2016, 07:30 PM

One of my quilting groups will take batting pieces. Then they have a special time for members tocome and sew the pieces together. If the pieces are considered too small they are offered to members or for pet beds.
Since I have a LA I use the small pieces to clean the LA bed. What I don't use for that I put into pet beds for the humane swociety or give to my charity quilting group