Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting Scraps >

Batting Scraps

Batting Scraps

Old 07-07-2016, 12:56 PM

I just spent a couple hours zig zagging all my leftover pieces...even 4 inch strips got used and I joined them to use for small things...sometimes it's the perfect mindless sewing task you need and I'm glad I used it all up...
Old 07-07-2016, 01:05 PM

I save anything 8" square or larger. I have a bunch of precut squares that I'll use in a rag quilt...whenever that will be. I usually make ~2 a year. It's always nice to have all the batting already cut and ready to go!
Old 03-15-2020, 10:38 PM

I have been working to use up my batting scraps, also. I have recovered my ironing board, made a pillow, pincushion and many other small items for my sewing room.
Old 03-16-2020, 02:49 AM

I save and use all batting scraps. If they’re large enough I zigzag them together or paint them to use in art quilts. Small, thin scraps get diced into tiny pieces and put in a ziploc bag to use for pillow stuffing.

Rob
Old 03-16-2020, 04:18 AM
Power Poster

It sounds like you make many smaller items ( coasters, etc) so save the sizes you will use. I save narrow strips for wrapped strip projects ( rugs, totes, baskets) and smaller pieces at least 4” square for QAYG blocks. Sometimes I keep smaller pieces if I’m working on pincushion projects or smaller needle books. If I have a use I save. If I’m sure I won’t use it I discard.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:04 AM

I like the idea of using smaller scraps for dusting or for swifter covers....I have done that....I generally save any wider scraps 12 inches or wider and at least 60 inches long to piece into battings for throw quilts....the smaller ones, I keep a large bag full...if I get a large back full....then it will go into the next garage sale and someone always takes it away....don't usually charge anything for it...well maybe a buck if I am saving up for something special....tee hee....now that we all are hunkered down for a bit....if I run out of T.P I will have a soft source of wipes....won't flush....but hey....it will work.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:34 AM

I use small pieces to keep my the machine or by me while handsewing to put those pesky thread ends and pieces on. I also will use them to swipe over and pick up pieces of thread off shirts, etc.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:20 AM

I just finished sandwiching two small quilts both about 40 inches square. My batting roll is 60 inches wide. For the first quilt, I cut the batting and backing 60 x 45, sandwiched the quilt and cut off the 13 inches or so at one end. I used that strip and several others that I had saved from other sandwiching (I make mostly smaller quilts, 45 x 55) for pre-K children). I laid the batting strips on the backing, edge to edge, no sewing, until it covered the entire backing, sprayed with basting spray and laid the top on that, smoothing it out. Had to spray between backing and batting also. It quilted very nicely. I have used this method with several of my smaller quilts with good results. Really small pieces get cut up and stuffed into pet pillows.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:31 AM

I will usually save anything larger than 4"x4". Smaller than that I find it to much effort to sew together. The smaller pieces of course are great for smaller projects. I have sewn together many bigger pieces for a larger quilt.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:53 PM

ok you are going to say I am out of my mind or have to much time on my hands but I use pieces to get flies on the windows. If done gently I can get them and transfer them back outside. Yes I don't like to kill them but I will if need be also saves some cleanup. DH says they are probably coming back in the back door while I am walking to the front room!