Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bed Bugs >

Bed Bugs

Bed Bugs

Old 09-25-2010, 08:39 AM
Power Poster

The exterminator told me steam would not kill bedbugs or lice. It would be like giving the bugs a steam bath that they love! Very hot dry heat will kill bedbugs, lice, and fleas but it takes about 30 minutes of continuous heat.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
My DD travels for her job. She has learned to strip the bed, turn over the mattress and look at it with a flashlight. You can see if there is an infestation. She has turned in several hotels for having bedbugs. She learned her lesson when she had to toss a an expensive suit and shoes, purse, and a full cosmetic bag. She sure was glad she didn't bring her suitcase and computer to the hotel room. It's very expensive to get rid of them once in your home.
Bella - Is it really obvious when you strip the bed or turn the mattress? In some hotels the mattress doesn't budge.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:55 AM

Can you put the fabric into a ziplock and throw in a flea collar with it before going into the house? I'll wash it when ready and everything is DEAD.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:15 AM
Power Poster

My DD says she can spot them with a flashlight between the mattress and box springs or on the edges. And if they are bad, there will be tiny rusty/bloody spots on the mattress pad.

Bed bugs are resilient. Nymphs can survive months without feeding and the adults for more than a year!!!
Old 09-26-2010, 05:18 AM

Unfortunately, bed bugs will hitch a ride anywhere and everywhere including briefcases, handbags, back packs, the clothes on your body stuffed animals, wooden articles. These creatures are nasty and near impossible to get rid of. Even if, by some small miracle, DDT were brought back into use tomorrow, it would do little good, since these bugs have built up a resistance to that too.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:32 AM

This is very scary.... wonder if we could see them on a bolt of fabric.....watch now, all of us are going to go to the quilt store with our flashlights....inspecting the fabric before we buy it! Wonder if we would get kicked out! LOL!
Old 09-26-2010, 05:32 AM

Bed bugs also live in the walls...We were staying in a Hilton in Pittsburgh about 5 years ago, my daughter and her friend received over 50 bites that one night. The kindly gave us a comp night for their distress........still makes me laugh- like we would like to stay an additional night :)
Old 09-26-2010, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Hayquilting
Bed bugs also live in the walls...We were staying in a Hilton in Pittsburgh about 5 years ago, my daughter and her friend received over 50 bites that one night. The kindly gave us a comp night for their distress........still makes me laugh- like we would like to stay an additional night :)
OMG!!! No kidding!! :thumbdown:
Old 09-26-2010, 05:45 AM

VERY hot water is what kills them. Some places in Maine have them so the cold weather areas are not immune. Thankfully I don't have them. The adults are the size of an apple seed in some cases. The babies are the size of a poppy seed until they are feeding then they get a little bigger and are red because they are transparent and you are seeing the blood in them.
I like the idea of the steam cleaner also but they still get into many other things as well.
I would throw away anything that you see them in or on even if it is an expensive mattress or chair. They are so hard to get rid of that cleaning may not get them all and all you need is one or two to start it all over again.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:58 AM
Power Poster

I just wash any fabric, even new from the store in the wash, as you never know!