Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bed Bugs >

Bed Bugs

Bed Bugs

Old 09-26-2010, 09:54 AM

Scary to think that wherever we go even at home, we have to be so careful with this outbreak of those nasty bugs. Just because we have a list of places where there's a high amount of them, doesn't mean they're not elsewhere. Good luck at keeping them at bay and safe return to you!!!
Old 09-26-2010, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by leiladylei54
I read this list on our local news put out by the Terminex company.
These are the cities with the most bedbug infestations:
Cleveland, Louisville, Indianapolis, Boston, Los Angeles, Washington, D.C.,Dayton, Columbus, Denver, Chicago, Cincinnati, Detroit, Philidelphia,
New York City
I would imagine those cities to have the most since they are all major metropolitan areas. But I think they are a problem just about everywhere right now. YUCK!!!
Old 09-26-2010, 12:55 PM

I apologize if I'm repeating anyone....

One of the news reports said you can just put things in the dryer (high heat), and that will kill them. I'm not sure if they gave a time limit. I would think 30 miinutes would do. You can probably google it.

Also, don't look for the problem to go away....because of the amount of world travel, bed bugs will always be a possible threat.

Just remind your college-bound kids not to pick up used furniture at the curbside.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:05 PM

They are becoming problematic everywhere. We check every hotel and keep flashlights with us. We were infested once and we spent all of our rainy day money getting rid of them. Replacement furniture, that needed to be replaced, but we all wished it could have waited a while longer. A special exterminator came in, then after the beds were steamed, they were sprayed and immediately put into specialty mattress covers on both the mattresses and the box springs. You can wash in hot water all you want to, unless they are in boiling steam for a long, long time, they'll just enjoy the bath. The trick is getting them in a hot dryer.

Every stitch of clothing had to be washed and dried. Then all the rest had to go to the dry cleaners. My stash, what little there was, was bagged up. As I need it, I pull out the pieces I need and wash them. It stinks because I don't like to prewash my fabric. I like the way it looks after you wash it once it's been quilted.

They can live at least a year with no food in sub zero and hot temperatures. We had the carpets steamed by professionals we saw on the bed bugs segment of our local news. We had already replaced our furniture by then. We followed their directions to the letter and paid a fortune for the special exterminators to come in. They said they had to come every 3 months, but we couldn't afford 250.00 more than once. We haven't had issues with them since. I still flip the mattresses and look over everything every week when I change the sheets. When we travel we look EVERYWHERE. I put the bags on the table, sink, or on top of the dressers and the can's seem to climb on what isn't covered in fabric.

So far so good.....
Old 09-26-2010, 03:44 PM

Now that I read all about bed bugs I'am all itchie... hope i never get them in my house...
Old 09-26-2010, 04:05 PM
Bev

Originally Posted by poodlemom
Unfortunately, bed bugs will hitch a ride anywhere and everywhere including briefcases, handbags, back packs, the clothes on your body stuffed animals, wooden articles. These creatures are nasty and near impossible to get rid of. Even if, by some small miracle, DDT were brought back into use tomorrow, it would do little good, since these bugs have built up a resistance to that too.
Well then. how on earth is anyone supposed to get rid of them once and for all?
There's got to be a way, since no one has had them around until recently. I've read that they have jumped ship on the incoming loads from countries that have been infested with them for a very long time. Just the way the Black Plague began in Europe in the 1500s.
And today passengers on planes bring them in their luggage, hence the hotels/motels have gotten them and passed them on to their next guests. Even the very best hotels have had them.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:53 PM
Power Poster

Oh this is a scarey subject. Just thinking about it makes me itch.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:16 PM

omg this post makes me itch !! after reading all the post and saw that the 3 states that i am traveling to next week are on the list as high traffic area for bedbugs !! im thinking that when i check in im going to ask if thet have a bedbug problem then ask to send someone to my room and strip and turn the mattress for me to check it out with my handy dandy flashlight !!
Old 09-26-2010, 05:17 PM

Wow I have to agree with all of you. I always wash all my fabric as soon as I come home. I haven't bought any fabrics at any place but my neighborhood quilt store. But hey, wash and wash in hot water. we live in Fl. so I am more bug concious I guess and thank the Lord never seen any bugs. Hope it stays that way too.My son -in -law just said it is due to our poor economy. Motels don't clean rooms like they use too. See Mom was right clean your room or the bugs will get you!
Old 09-26-2010, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by donnajean
Goodwill & garage sales are not the only places that the bedbugs hitch a ride. Major department stores are having to deal with this issue lately. They are transported from place to place because of our shipping industry. It reminds me of when I was a kid & you had to check the paper grocery bags for roaches.

Originally Posted by max's grandma
When you buy fabric etc. at goodwill, garage sales, etc. worry about bringing home these little pests? I love going to these places also, but wonder if I could bring them home.
ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

runs and hides