Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Beginner quilter >

Beginner quilter

Beginner quilter

Old 01-12-2011, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by joraymo
I am new to quilting & I have 3 projects going already and can't wait to start another one. I have found already that this helps me to keep focused by switching from one to the other. Anyway it seems to work for me so far. Does anyone else find that doing more than one at a time help them??
Of course we do. Why do you think we have so much fabric? When I run into a problem I just post it here and go on with another project until the nice people on this forum help me out. After getting learned information from this forum then I go back to my other project with a great deal of confidence. Also, have you noticed how many of us have multiple machines? That's because we can be working on lots of projects at the same time and have everything at our finger tips close to the machine we are using for each project.

You will never, ever go back to one project because they can be a little boring when you have to stick to one project until it is finished before starting another. I like to call this practice CREATIVE but I know I am just fooling myself. I just like fabric and the more the better.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by jojosnana
Maybe we invented a new word for the dictionary....multi-quilting.
I like this! Now I know what to call what I do.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:20 PM

I'm the same. Don't like to move onto another project until one is done - completely. I may look at other patterns and think what I'd like to do next, but will finish what I have started first. I too, have just a small dresser drawer half full of remnants.
Rita
Old 01-12-2011, 02:44 PM

As for me, I find it perfectly natural to have more than 10 projects going at the same time. I do a little cutting here, then some sewing, then some squaring up, then some more sewing, then a pack up a tote with things to work to undo or cut, along with a few magazines/books to review, at home once again to do some pinning of finished tops, more sewing, makes plans to go shopping with quilt buddies for more stash, on occasion sew scraps together to make odd blocks for miscellaneous projects, more serious sewing, clean my machine when the lint bunnies start appearing and the list goes on. It may sound hopeless but I actually have 3 large see-thru rubbermaid tubs filled with over 50 unfinished projects and this is normal for me but I actually work well in this kind of environment. I work on quilts, clothing, handsewn stuffed animals, sewn household items and the list goes on because along with my regular job, my hubby and I do craft shows. My #1 goal is to always work on clearing one of them out with a finished projects before starting new projects. I have to admit it's soooooo tempting when I'm at fabric stores and I see all the new lines of colors/values and new project/pattern ideas but it's how I keep myself under control. Now some of you may be laughing at this or think I'm just crazy but it works for me and I never get bored of anything I'm working on.
Sewing was my salvation when I quit smoking over 20 years ago - it's just as addictive, but so much more fulfilling, so much fun. And just so you know that as a new quilter you too will find what works best for you with time. Right now make yourself a goal and stick to it. That way no one can say she was inudated and you won't get burned out either with too much to get done or no time to do it all.
And welcome to the amazing board of talented people. They are a world of information and tested solutions. I've learned so much from all of them and can actually say I've meet a few of them personally now, too! Great people!
Old 01-12-2011, 03:00 PM
QM
Power Poster

I have a few really old unfinished projects, but I generally finsih everything. I often pause to make a quick quilt for charity when I am in the middle of something ticklish. Last year I had a physical problem which made quilting my tops hard for me. I got 18 to that point, but I have those all finished and delivered now. Generally I have around 20 projects in various stages of completion.

Some I am in no hurry to complete. I started a rather tricky one for a niece who is currently being a pain. I'll finish it, just not right now. I have about half the hand appliqued blocks finishe for my DGDs wedding quilt. As she is 10, I don't think she'll be needing it soon.

Another reason to have various projects is that they require different types of work. Right now I have one embroidery project and one binding project, as well as a couple of active tops and one quilting progject.

Many people I know complete each project before they begin the next. It works for them. It would not for me.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:11 PM

Usually have something stitching in the embroidery machine while I'm piecing another. But I also have many works in progress, too! When I can get off this site, that is :)
Old 01-12-2011, 04:17 PM

That's funny you say that. My hubby calls me his "hummingbird" because I don't stick with one project at a time. This is what I have going on right now. I am working on a Celtic king size quilt for a customer, just started "Rose of Sharon", two ball team throw quilts, one fabric stained glass wall hanging, making new pendants for my jewelry website, trying to get my craft room organized (at least straightened out so I can at least get in there), beaded Christmas ornaments, and I have misplaced my list for the other things I need to get done.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:34 PM

Oh yes, right now I have a mini quilt PP cut to try to learn it. Then one layered and ready to MQ tomorrow, backing on some test blocks that turned out so nice I'm making a quilt as you go. Then when I have the QAYG down, I have sampler squares and the batting cut out. And I have a 100 in my head.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:35 PM

I usually have 2 or three in various stages and I switch between them.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:34 PM

I usually have one large project and a couple small ones going at different stages so that I can sew, cut, or applique. This keeps me from getting bored, and I always have a traveling project.