Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina 440 vs. Viking Sapphire 870 >

Bernina 440 vs. Viking Sapphire 870

Bernina 440 vs. Viking Sapphire 870

Old 07-23-2009, 09:15 PM

I have a Bernina 630E that I bought used on e-bay about 2 1/2 years ago for about $2,700. It had only a couple hours on sewing and no time on the embroidery unit. I love my machine. I have the BSR foot and have used it several times but still not real good with us.
I have a Bernina Dealer really close to my home and since I have bought sewing furniture and thousands of dollars in fabrics there I got a class on the machine for free. My only problem was that the software for the embroidery that came with mine was already obsolete and I can't get anyone to help me learn how to use it. They have helped me learn how to use the unit but not how to use my computer with it.
Anyway, the Bernina is a really good machine.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:58 AM

Jim's Gem,

Soon after I got my Bernina 440QE I returned and got the embroidery module for it. I am signed up for a class at the beginning of August, but of course, I wanted to try it out sooner! I didn't feel the little bit of instructions that came with the machine were adequate, so I googled the manual on line and came up with a manual of almost 100 pages. It still took me til 2 in the morning and downloading of a driver from online, but I finally got the program up and the machine talking with the computer (my machine doesn't have an onboard computer, but needs to be linked with a laptop). I believe your machine has an onboard computer, so I assume you want to use your computer to download designs. Try googling the manual for your machine/embroidery module and see if you can get any help there. Good luck, and congrats on the good deal on your machine.
Do you have any other Bernina dealers near you? Mine offers classes on the embroidery module operation also.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:02 AM

Jim's Gem,

Try this link:

http://www.thimblepleasures.com/user...rkbook1-06.pdf

Donna
Old 07-27-2009, 12:28 PM

I have a Saphire 870 Quilt. A Christmas gift from my DH a couple years ago after he heard me complaining about my 25 year old machine that just wouldn't quilt. I just LOVE it and love the extra quilting space it has on it, however, I have never tried a Bernina so I can't compair. I did have to, however, pay a little over $100.00 for a walking foot. It works great but if you can get something that comes w/the walking foot and sews great.....go for it.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:54 PM

I have three Bernina sewing machines and love everyone of them. The knee lift is great. I also think it is very important to have a good relationship with your dealer. If your dealer offers classes, then the closer the better. Nicoline
Old 07-29-2009, 07:21 PM

I just bought a demo 440 at a LQS last Dec. and love it! You may want to go on-line to Bernina dealers and check to see if they have demo model sales. $100 off would not entice me to buy a demo model. I got mine with a same as new warranty for about $1000 off.
Old 08-01-2009, 01:14 PM

I have the 440QE. I wouldn't want to get along without the knee lift. I feel handicapped when I go back to my smaller machine without it.

The BSR is worth it. It won't take long to pay for it if you are currently sending your tops to a longarm quilter.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:19 PM

I have a Bernina 440QE and love it. It is important that you have the lessons that go with it. I can't emphasize this too much. So if the Bernina shop is closer to you, that would be a consideration. There are 3 or 4 lessons for the Bernina and you can take them again any time. So I recommend the Bernina. Never had a Viking.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:05 AM

I purchased the Bernina 440QE a few months back and I absolutely love it. It has a self-threader which was initially a little difficult to use, but after a few times, it became no problem at all. I've used some of the fancy stitches that are standard to make labels (alphabet characters) and other doo-dads on various projects. They all work just as they should.

The Bernina should come standard with a plastic extension table that slides on and off. I have found it to be adequate to my needs. I'm aware that there is a larger extension table that is optional, but I have not felt that I needed it.

I am very, very happy with my machine. I think it has made me a better quilter. I didn't really want a new sewing machine when I bought it, but I was so frustrated with my basic Janome machine that I just decided to bite the bullet and do it. I have never looked back. My new machine was easy to learn, and we are happily sewing like old friends. I don't know anything about the Viking, so can't comment on that.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:03 AM

Hi!

I know yours was an older post, but I have had the same problems with my 440. It shows up the most with black thread on light fabric. The stitch is crooked, and every once in a while the bobbin thread starts looping. The dealer has said to "let the machine rest", "that's just the way it sews", etc. I wrote to Bernina and they said to bring it to the dealer. I'll have to spend some time there with them. I had a 150 for about 7 years before that, loved it and had no problems. Glad you got a machine you like. Thanks for posting your problem!!