Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina 440 vs. Viking Sapphire 870 >

Bernina 440 vs. Viking Sapphire 870

Bernina 440 vs. Viking Sapphire 870

Old 07-17-2009, 09:23 AM

Location: From WI then Denver then Houston and now Hainesville, IL

Well I will have to say VIKING ALL THE WAY!
I have the 830 and LOVE IT....
It is a work horse and it sews great! The "sewer" (me) is another issue!!
Great website for free classes and help and dealer has free classes from time to time!
Husqvarna 830 Sapphire is the BEEEEEEESSSSSSSSTTTTTT!
This isn't the quilt one, but as a beginner quilter, it has what I need!

Good luck on which ever one you choose!
Old 07-17-2009, 09:24 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewjoyce
To change the title -- you need to pm Patricej or Admin and they will change it for you.
That's interesting. I wondered how you did that too!
Old 07-17-2009, 09:29 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lisa T
Ok- I think I was confused last night. You guys are right- the 440 does have the BSR standard, so what I would be getting is the 430. I could add it later for about $1000. Other than that, they are the same machine I think.

I tried to edit my post heading but couldn't. How do people add the extra stuff to their post titles later on? Like some people say (Update on page 7) or something.

ETA- And thanks for all the input. It really does help!

Regarding the Janome machines- I wore out (or broke?) one of the cheaper ones ($250) in 6 months and had bad service from Sears over it and so it left a bad taste in my mouth for that brand. I imagine the ones that Sears carries are not the same as the dealer ones, but I am staying away from it.

I have never even laid eyes on a Pfaff, so I don't think we have anyone local for those. I want to stay fairly local- at least under an hour.

Lacelady- your FMQ is beautiful, but I bet you would do gorgeous work even without the BSR. I have seen your other stuff and you are extremely talented. I wish I had tried it while I was there, but I can't really afford it at this point- it adds a thousand dollars and that is too much for me.

sewjoyce- I loved the wavy line quilting stitch. I would use that one right away, doing parallel wavy lines.

quiltykitty- the Joann's here is where I tried out the Viking Sapphire. They would only give me $100 off for the floor model. So the new in box one is $1999, I could get the display one for $1899. (Both places are only giving me $100 off for a floor model. My husband thinks I should get one in the box if I can only save that much. He is probably right.) I got to try the Diamond while I was at Joann's and it was AMAZING, but then I had to come back to earth. LOL! I think it was $7000? The stitching area was HUGE. I loved it. Could you pm me and maybe I can get you to forward those emails?

farscape- that is a nice "gut feeling" indicator and makes me feel better about my choice which I think is going to be the Bernina. I am up to 80/20 for the Bernina. LOL!
Thank you for the nice comments about my FMQ Lisa, and yes, I suppose I had been practising hard before I got the 730. Have you considered the possibilty of perhaps buying a 440 that has been traded in for a higher version? That might be one way of getting that BSR without the extra $1000. If not, go for the 430, and save up/ask for cash at Christmas & Birthdays until you can add it.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:50 AM

My local Bernina dealer sells used machines with full warranties at a great price. People trade up when a new model comes out, even though there is nothing wrong with their machines. The dealer can even tell you how many hours of use the machines have.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:06 PM

I am partial to Viking machines...mainly because I love my LQS that I frequent and that is where I bought mine. When I am able to upgrade to an even nicer machine (when both daughters are through college...2 years..I am counting!) I will buy another Viking from the same place. That said...I think you should go with the Bernina. You listed all kinds of good reasons and I think you would be happy with either. So, get it from your LQS!
Old 07-17-2009, 01:00 PM

And with the Bernina, they offer free classes on how to use the machine. That alone is a good bargin. Plus it should come with the BSR. :D Happy sewing.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:24 PM

I have to put my 2 cents in for Bernina. I bought mine used. I got a full warranty, free lessons, and a quilt store discount for 20% off everything the rest of my life.

I have to second the advice to check out the used machines. My machine came from a woman who traded up to the newest 830 Bernina--we will NOT even discuss the price of that little beastie! My machine came w/ 8 hours of sewing time on the machine and 2 hours on the embroidery module.

Buy what you can comfortably afford. That way, you have no regrets.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:52 AM

I have a Bernina 440 QE and love it. The support from the dealer is also great.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:52 AM

Just to throw a wrench in it...if you haven't bought your new machine yet...Viking will be closing out their Sapphire 870's to make way for their newer models, the Sapphire 875. The only difference between the 870 and the 875 is the way the display area looks and the 875 will have a decorative tapering stitch. I just purchased a Viking Sapphire 870Q. I do a lot of quilting and it works just great with the larger area to work with and I absolutely love the thread cutter. I do still have to cut the threads from the back. Before I cut the threads I use the "fix" function to make sure nothing will come loose. I tried quilting with my Viking Designer SE after using the 870 and the difference in the bed was amazing. I felt all cramped up. I had a Bernina 440Q with the BSR and I didn't like it at all. To me, it didn't seem very user friendly. I felt like I had to keep the user manual close by to know how to use all the functions. It all comes down to user preference, and matching the machine to what you will be using it for. I like the Viking machines the best, but my DH, the sewing machine technician, prefers the Berninas the most.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:22 AM

We have a Viking Dealer and Bernina Dealer with in 20 miles of us and I know they both provide great service. I bought a Viking (Designer) I had 2 other Viking machines before I bought my Designer and that was after I looked into a Bernina. I prefer a Viking over a Bernina. I think they sew so much smoother and even sound better when they sew. I think you should see if you can't sew a small sample on each machine at the 2 different shops. That way you will know kind of what to expect. It really is a personal thing. But I would never trade my Viking for a Bernina.