Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina 440 vs. Viking Sapphire 870 >

Bernina 440 vs. Viking Sapphire 870

Bernina 440 vs. Viking Sapphire 870

Old 07-17-2009, 06:52 AM

Hi Lisa T, I have the Sapphire 870 and THOUGHT the thread cutter would be a wonderful addition. It's just great for when I'm piecing, but personally when I'm quilting & want to cut the thread to move elsewhere in the quilt, it pulls both threads through to the back & slices it at about an inch....frustrating to do anything with the tails that short. Then when you go to start quilting in the new spot, there's no bobbin thread to bring up, it's about a ¼" long & comes up this little stub on the right side..okay if you're using matching thread, but annoying if you're using a contrasting thread. I've had a husqvarna since 1998 so that's why I went with this machine...the 10" throat plate is nice, but I'd probably go with a Bernina or Pfaff if I ever get another choice.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:13 AM

Lisa, I'm sorry, but I got those emails 2 or 3 days ago and deleted them the same day. If I get more, I will let you know.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:50 AM
Power Poster

I'm pretty sure that Bernina model was one of the top picks by Consumer Reports -- March 2008 or 2009, I think.

I love my Bernina, but haven't used a Viking so can't compare.

Here is a link to a thread on the PatternReview website. That website is a good place to research opinions on different models of machines. Haven't read this entire thread, but hope it is pertinent to your question.

http://sewing.patternreview.com/Sewi.../topic/37620/1
Old 07-17-2009, 08:54 AM

I have 2 Berninas - 730 and 230 - and love them both. I've never had a problem with uneven stitches. Several ladies in our quilt guild have 440s and love them - no problems with uneven stitches. I have an automatic thread cutter but I never use it, because I like to leave longer tails at the end of my seams. My local Bernina dealer has the best customer service I've ever received for anything I've ever purchased. I've never owned a Viking because there is not a Viking dealer in my area, and I wouldn't buy a machine without sewing on it several times before buying it.

I have 2 Janomes (purchased before I got my Berninas) - 6500 and ?QE - and like them both. The bobbin winder stopped working after about one year. Machine was still under warranty but the shop repairman couldn't find what was wrong so I would have had to send it to Janome to have it repaired (shipping charges would be my expense). I didn't get it fixed - I just wind my bobbins on the other machine. My Janome walking foot doesn't work as nicely as the Bernina, but I didn't realize that until I had my first Bernina.

I've also had Kenmore sewing machines (made by Janome Company)many years ago and had no problems with them.

Be sure and sew on the machines as much as possible before you make your decision. Keep in mind that if a feature bothers you - the more often you use the machine, the more it will probably bother you.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Minda
I have 2 Berninas - 730 and 230 - and love them both. I've never had a problem with uneven stitches. Several ladies in our quilt guild have 440s and love them - no problems with uneven stitches.
I believe it, it was probably my luck, I got the one that was defective!
Old 07-17-2009, 09:02 AM

Talk to your Bernina dealer again, I bet you can get the 440 QE. My dealer just sent me a post card offering 40% off of floor models.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:03 AM

Thank you for that review site! I read every one of them about these two machines. I had been there before a long time ago and forgot about it.

So I ordered the Bernina Aurora 430. I chose this mainly because I love my local quilt store and want to purchase from them. I kind of think I will always wonder "what might have been" about the Viking thread cutter, but I think that the local support and positive relationship will make it worth giving that up.

Klue- I think that your two reasons were the ones that made me hesitate so much! I LOVED the thread cutter right away and thought the bigger throat was nice.

But I have decided now and am not going to look back! No matter what, I am getting such an improvement! Needle up or down!!! Computerized! Wooohooo!

This whole thing is so stressful! It's like dating! LOL!
Old 07-17-2009, 09:05 AM

At Home- REALLY?! I think I am paying a fairly high price ($1999 for the Aurora 430), but they just don't want to come down at all. I asked if they would throw in the table ($75) if I paid cash, but they said no.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:06 AM

I also asked if they would go down to $1750 for the floor model, but have not heard an answer back on that yet.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:21 AM

Keep trying if you want to, make them an offer on a 440 if you want it. Don't be afraid to deal, they want to sell those machines. Don't be afraid to offer them a price and walk away for a day or two. Tell them to call you when they can sell you X machine for X price.

If my dealer can offer the 440 floor models for well under $2,000 because of the floor model sale (40% off), then so can yours. I wish you the best of luck, no matter which Bernina you get, I bet you are going to love it. No sewing machine is more well made.