Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina BSR Help Please >

Bernina BSR Help Please

Bernina BSR Help Please

Old 09-10-2011, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by RkayD
I can use mine...there is just no control. I have used both modes and tried moving it slow fast or in between..and it breaks needles no matter what. And it moves like its possessed. It speeds up to the maximum sewing speed. Its been very frustrating. I get it out every now and then just to test it. Does the same thing ever since I got it. I keep hoping like magic things will change. =/
I do agree that sometimes it moves like it is possessed. If you move the fabric faster than it can handle it, it will move like crazy. Also, if you move the fabric while the needle it down, it will break. It takes time to get to the point where you are in control and needles don't break.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:15 PM

try unplugging the foot pedal from the machine . Mine does not work if it plugged in.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:35 PM

OK, after further experimentation I've come to the conclusion that it's got some sort of electronic problem...IF the red light comes on, it works, but it shuts itself off mid-quilting when it gets just a couple of minutes of use. Then it won't start again... It's off to see my dealer next week I guess.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.

Wendy
Old 09-10-2011, 07:14 PM
Power Poster

My BSP checklist is...feeddogs down, pressure on the foot dailed down to 0, stitch length set about 2, BSR foot attached and plugged in, bobbin thread threaded through the eye hole, tension on top thread between 5-10, put in test square to check tension, press needle down function after bringing up threads. Press BSR on machine and in number 1 mode. I like mode one for foot control. As I move the square the red light stays on as I sew. I have read that the BSR has trouble reading on red fabric or if the lens is dusty. I am still working with mine and I am not really good yet but mine is operator error. It sounds like maybe you need to see your dealer for instruction or replacement?
Old 09-11-2011, 07:19 AM

Check out this website for an excellent tutorial on the BSR: www.dognamedbanjo.com Look under the 440QE section. Hope this helps!
Old 09-11-2011, 08:12 AM

I have a friend that has that machine. she had to take the BDR unit back and have the spring replaced. works fine now.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by azwendyg
Thanks Janet. The feed dogs are down, and I've tried both modes with and without the foot pedal connected a few times...
I just finished a quilt this week using my BRS. I found that it just sewed in place until I started moving the fabric. It doesn't work unless you move the fabric. I've had this machine for a few years and didn't like the BRS but after quilting this quilt I'm very happy. I was the first time I machine quilted using my cabinet so the quilt could lay flat and didn't fall over the sides of the table. When you start to move the fabric does the little running man come on?
Old 09-11-2011, 10:20 AM

I had similar problems. I took the foot with my machine back to the dealer and had them run them together. They had to reconfigure "something" and now it works fine. If they just check the foot alone it will probably check out fine so bring both and have them checked out together. Good Luck!
Old 09-11-2011, 10:22 AM

? there is a little running man comming on to you ?
what has BERNINA thought of now !

[ thinking..... I will stay with my 1630 ]
Old 09-11-2011, 10:50 AM

I am sorry for your pain but it has been used for the greater good, I no longer covet a BSR.
Robin in TX