Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Bernina BSR using two threads with one needle

Bernina BSR using two threads with one needle

I just saw a video that demonstrated this and the effect was awesome. Has anybody done that? Can anyone point me in the the right direction so I can get more info? Nothing in the manual about it...just two threads with double needles. The video was "The Quilt Show: BERNINA-Let's Free Motion Zigzag!"

Banned
    Just google twin needle sewing. Twin needles have been around since at least the 50s, many of my vintage machines came with a twin needle and directions for using it in the manual.

Cari

Barb, are you talking about putting two threads through the eye of a single needle rather than twin needle sewing? If so, then Terry White does this in her free motion embroidery classes on Craftsy. She’s also got a lot of youtube videos out and may show two threads in the eye of a single needle there. Main thing is to make sure they can move freely, you may need a larger needle than you usually use.

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

I have not done FMQ with two threads thru one needle, but did do some decorative stitching that way many years ago. I don't remember having any problems with it. Have fun!
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Rob, thanks, that's exactly what I need. I'll check her out.

Quote Originally Posted by Barb2018 View Post
    I just saw a video that demonstrated this and the effect was awesome. Has anybody done that? Can anyone point me in the the right direction so I can get more info? Nothing in the manual about it...just two threads with double needles. The video was "The Quilt Show: BERNINA-Let's Free Motion Zigzag!"
    The way I am reading your query is that you are asking about two needles, with two threads.
    The results can look quite nice.
    Keep in mind, that there is still only one thread in the bobbin.
    So the back will have a different look.
    Some people like that ... some don't!

While I am sure that is what you are inquiring about ... it it is one needle, with two threads ...
    you can get somewhat of a variegated look by using two opposing thread colours.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

What I'm looking for is info regarding ONE needle with TWO THREADS. The demo I saw was using the Bernina Stitch Regulator with a zigzag stitch to thread paint. Looked at some work by Terry White but the videos were from 2007. Would like current info.

Quote Originally Posted by Barb2018 View Post
    What I'm looking for is info regarding ONE needle with TWO THREADS. The demo I saw was using the Bernina Stitch Regulator with a zigzag stitch to thread paint. Looked at some work by Terry White but the videos were from 2007. Would like current info.
    All you do is thread two threads through your machine and needle, as though they are one.
    Then stitch away to your ♥s delight!

The best thing to do is to do a trial run on something small, to see how it goes
    to help you get familiar with it and decide how you like the looks of it.
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

If you have any embroidery needles for your sewing machine - the eyes are a little longer and the thread will go through more smoothly. I've done this several times and it looks really nice. The needle itself doesn't have to be larger, just the eye. Make sure your thread is feeding evenly from both spools of thread.