Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina, Pressure Foot UP when threading A MUST??? >

Bernina, Pressure Foot UP when threading A MUST???

Bernina, Pressure Foot UP when threading A MUST???

Old 03-09-2011, 11:59 AM

I turned mine off
Old 03-09-2011, 12:18 PM

Thanks for the question Blisterful....I have learned something new. I always threaded my machine with the pressure foot up, but I never knew that there was a preferred way to do it. Thanks ladies for the info?
Old 03-09-2011, 12:22 PM

Yes, I was talking about the needle, but I don't put the foot down until after I thread the machine I guess I forgot to mention that.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Nana2Sew
I was taught to thread any sewing machine with the presser foot up. You can lower the foot to thread the needle.
Exactly. When threading machine and therefore sliding the thread though the tension discs, need the presser foot up so the tension discs are not engaged. When threading the needle, especially with the auto threader on my Bernina, the presser foot needs to be down...in fact it beeps if I try it the other way. 8-)
Old 03-09-2011, 12:33 PM

I have a HusqueVarna, a Singer, a Brother, and a Juki. All the manuals say to thread the machine with the pressure foot UP to eliminate pressure on the tension discs. I was taught in Home Economics 55 years ago to thread this way, also.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
When the foot is down, the tension discs are engaged and you are putting undue stress on the thread and the discs when you pull it to thread the needle. This is true for any sewing machine. I think your repair guy's explanation is right on and you should listen to him. I never thread machines with the foot down...it's like pushing a car with the brakes on. :D
An additional tidbit, when you take your spool off of your machine cut the thread ( by spool) and pull the thread throug the tension discs. I always would grab the spool and pull the thread out... I was told that this will harm the tension on my bedbugs
Old 03-09-2011, 01:34 PM

My viking is the same way...If you don't thread with foot up it can really throw it out of wack...especially the tension...
Old 03-09-2011, 01:43 PM

I have threaded with the foot down, but I always have quite a bit of thread length pulled out before I even think of threading. Will have to pay more attention to this though and see if it makes a difference. thanks for the hint.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:52 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by blisterful
(I posted a few weeks before when I was having trouble with timing going out 3 times in three weeks). I am still having the same issues with this machine. Yesterday, authorized Bernina repairman said the reason my Bernina is going out of time is because I have been threading machine with the pressure foot down. I find it hard to believe his statement. If this were true, our owner's manuals would have a great big warning statement telling us our machine may need servicing if we thread needle with pressure foot up. Bernina owners, please let me know if you have ever threaded your machine with the pressure foot down and what you think of his explanation.
I would find another repair person. My Bernina 430QE is 6 years old and runs great! I also thread the needle with the foot down because it is easier for me to see the hole. Sorry you are going through so much trouble

:(
Old 03-09-2011, 01:59 PM

It seems we are talking about different things as far as foot up and down. Threading as far as going FROM THE SPOOL and through the tension discs, foot up. Thread THROUGH THE NEEDLE'S EYE - once you have it that far, then you CAN put the foot down. I agree it's easier to see and keeps some tension on the thread so the needle threader works better.