Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina Prices? >

Bernina Prices?

Bernina Prices?

Old 06-28-2012, 06:56 AM

I have the same machine ... Bernina Record 730 (have had it for 43 yrs.). You will love it. Do you have a manual with your machine??? If not, I can maybe copy/paste some pages from mine and send them to you. Happy Sewing

jody
Old 06-28-2012, 07:22 AM

Happy Sewing on your Bernina. If you have a good dealer in your area have your machine serviced regularly. Inwill last youna looooong time. Then when and if you want to do a trade in they will be familiar with you and your machine and hopefully you will get a good deal.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:52 AM

I have a Bernina 1020, bought exactly 20 years ago. I paid $1200 for mine. I cannot say a bad thing about it. I am faithful about having a tuneup every 1 to 1 1/2 years and have never had a problem. Every time I mention getting a newer machine, each and every mechanic who has worked on it says "don't ever get rid of it" or "there is no reason to upgrade unless I want more stitches." I guess this particular machine is one of the best made (before plastic parts). Its heavy but I don't usually take it out except on quilting retreats. Personally, I would look for a used Bernina on ebay. Good luck.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:53 AM

I would love to have a Bernina, however, it is out of my budget range so I continue to use a 37 year old White, also a Bernette Bernina, Brother embroidery, and an old Singer...each one does it's job and does it well. Maybe there will be a Bernina in my future but not for now. I'll be happy with what I have. If you show your parents this is what you want maybe by the time you graduate it could be in your future. Good Luck
Old 06-29-2012, 05:22 AM

It sounds like you bought a nice machine at a good price. I have to agree with a previous poster who impressed that stitch formation was a very important issue. I've been sewing for 50 years and own Pfaffs, Pfaff industrial machine, Singer's, Brother, Necchi made in Italy,Viking computer,White, sergers, and have owned many other brands because I enjoy collecting and restoring vintage machines. I'm retired and have sold all but a few.

I personally think Bernina is overrated and overpriced. Sorry to offend the Bernina owners. I owned a Bernina, I believe it was an 830. Yes, the stitches were nice, machine runs smooth, but for the price, you are paying for the Bernina name.

I have a Brother computerized machine that my husband bought me as a birthday gift. I highly recommend Brother machines. They make so many different models, so if you decided to buy one, you should determine which machine suits you best for the type of sewing you mostly do. Mine has the larger
LCD screen and the capability of sewing without a foot pedal...just push the button to sew. The cost was slightly over $200. Buy any machine where you can refund if you are not happy with it, and if returning it, do so within two weeks with your receipt.

Most important factor of any machine is keeping it lint free, oiling if needed, change your needles and learn to adjust thread tension correctly. The more that you know your machine and care for it, the more satisfied you will be with your sewing results.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:22 AM

Congratulations on your Bernina Record 730!!!
Old 06-29-2012, 05:25 AM

Sometimes you can get an approx. price if you search Bernina prices. Ebay is another option, but be very observant of seller's feedback score, and read the machine description carefully.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:38 AM

Look at Brother machines. They have a lot of machines in your price range. I am sewing right now on a Brother that originally retailed for about $200. I don't care that I don't have an embroidery module, thread cutter, or knee lifter. I care that I have various stitches, and that it sews wonderfully well. I also have an older Bernette. A nice little machine that I have had for years. They are made by Bernina...
Old 06-29-2012, 07:24 AM

i have a bernina and love it.. i bought it used from a quilt store they had let the schools use it for home economics so it was well used.. i dont have any feet with it just the regular foot i love it and have used it for 4 yrs and made lots of quilts... in fact one year for christmas i made 20 quilts all my family got one.. whew glad that is over..lol....
Old 06-29-2012, 07:46 AM

Be careful shopping for a Bernina. I have the Bernina Aurora 440 QEE. You don't need the embroidery (the second E) if you are just starting out. I love love love my Bernina and may never update it. I do have a cheap Janome that I use for taking to friendship groups, etc as I don't want to haul the heavy Bernina around all the time. I make alot of quilts, clothes and have been sewing for years. But anyway....Bernina has a cheap line called Bernette...DON'T buy it! It is not a Bernina! Where Bernina is made in Sweden Bernette is made in Japan or China or wherever. Just like Husqvarna Viking has a line called Husky. Don't buy that either. I would recommend a $200 Janome before I would recommend another maker in that price range. Also, stay away from Singer - not your grandma's Singer anymore, and Brother - just junk in the lesser price range.