Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina Prices? >

Bernina Prices?

Bernina Prices?

Old 06-29-2012, 09:11 AM

As I've said in other threads I stared with a Bernina 160, traded up for a 180 (which is now my travel machine), bought a 440 on a 48 month no interest, traded it for a 820 because I wanted the large opening for quilting and the large bobbin. Found out hte hard way you had to baby the 820 so got rid of it and got a 550 which is my home macine and I am very happy with both my Berninas.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:49 AM

I have a Bernina 1230 that I bought used years ago. Never a problem and am still using it. I'm not ever sure what year it was made. Also have a Viking..........old one that I use as a spare. Have had an Elna, Babylock, Brother, and a Kenmore. Of these, the Kenmore was best. I don't even know if Sears makes a machine. I have to say that the Babylock was my worst mistake. My opinion.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:01 AM

Congratulations on your Bernina. I do think they are the best, however everyone has their own preferences. I have the Bernina 830 that was introduced in 2008. I love it. It was made in Steckborn, Switzerland. However I started sewing on a Kenmore straight stitch. Then I upgraded to a zigzag when they were introduced. My next machine was a Pfaff 7570, then a Pfaff 2170. I got my current Bernina for it's large throat & large embroidery field. I still have the Pfaff 2170 and I have lent the 7570 to my sister. Let us know how you like your machine.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:43 PM

I bought a used Bernina about 15 years ago. It cost quite a bit, but it has been well worth it. I bought it from a Bernina dealer so was able to finance it. It still runs perfectly and I have never had it serviced. I love my machine.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:39 PM

Personally I prefer Brother over Bernina. No experience with a Janome but hear great things about them. My advice is go to the different dealers & try out their used machines in all the brands-very good chance with your budget you'll get a much better used machine than a new machine in that price range. Many dealers will also give a 6 mo or 1 year warrenty with a used machine.
So many new machines come on the market with more bells & whistles so older very good machines get traded in for the newest machine, which could mean a good deal for you.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by happinessbears View Post
Hi everyone! So I am looking for a new sewing machine!! I'm looking at Janome and Bernina right now and if price didn't matter, I'd totally go for a Bernina. But I have a sad budget of $300 - $400 and I won't be able to get a Bernina with that! Apparently Bernina doesn't list their prices online!, SO does anyone know how much each Bernina model costs? And if you own them, are you satisfied with it and think its worth the money? I'm also considering getting a used Bernina. Do you guys think a used Bernina would still be better than a new Janome? Thanks so much!
PS- I know many people tell me that the money will totally be worth it in the long run, but even though I plan to go into designing and using my sewing machine forever, my parents won't allow me to get a more expensive one. They keep saying I should just upgrade later! So I also have to convince them!! Help! Oh and also, this will be a birthday present for me!
I have a Bernina 930, That I have had for almost 30 years no. I keep it clean and oiled often. I have not had any problems with it. I have never had to have it serviced. I purchased it new, and had to put it on lay-away at the time, because I had just finished getting my college degree, and I had just started back to work. At the time my children were small and I made almost all of their clothes. I would not trade my Bernina for any new machine. I love how it sews and even though it is heavy, I still take it to quilting guild, if I have started a quilt on it and not on one of my featherwights, as I prefer to use the same machine on any quilt I am working on.
I would recommend getting a Bernina if you possibly can, even perhaps a used one. I do not know anyhting about a Janome, so I guess I can't give an opinion about them. I would recommend trying both out before you purchase and make your decision from there. If you like the Bernina and the price is more than you can afford at this time, you might consider a layaway program if the dealer will permit it. Good luck with whatever you decide, and have lots of fun sewing.

Last edited by Gerbie; 06-29-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:26 PM

I honestly cannot believe you can buy a sewing machine better than a Bernina. I admit they are costly, but in the long run they last forever. You need a local dealer that has a service department as the Bernina is made in Switzerland and requires their service people to be trained by one of their staff. I have not needed service on my machines, but do take them for yearly cleaning and servicing at my dealers. This cost $35.00. There are always used Bernina's for sale. Get with your local dealer and tell her your budget and see what she can find. Good luck on what you buy and I hope your dream of designing becomes a reality
Old 07-01-2012, 05:36 PM

Congrats on your Bernina. Did you not get an instruction manual with your machine? If not, Go to the BerninaUSA.com website and give them the needed information and you can download a manual. They are very good and can help you alot. I am surprised your dealer did not have the machine cleaned and serviced before they sold it to you. They should be able to provide any help you need. I have a wonderful dealer who so enjoys helping everyone. Happy sewing. I am not sure you have an older 730 or the newer 730 embroidery machine. I have friends who have both and would never part with them. I currently own a 180 artista, Aurora 440 (I use for piecing quilts), 640 and the new big 830. You can see I am a big fan.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:47 PM

Did you by chance move the level up on top of the machine?

Move it to the decorative stitches. If the lever is toward you it will do straight stitch.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:38 PM
Banned

too bad you were not in OK this weekend. Our Bernina closed their doors Sat and she still had a couple of machines priced to GO....one was an embroidery one though...