Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Bernina Stitch Regulator skipping stitches

Candace, if you are sewing and all of a sudden see stitches that are longer than the rest of the stitches, that's a skipped stitch. I'd post a picture but don't really know how!

Quote Originally Posted by Sara
    Candace, if you are sewing and all of a sudden see stitches that are longer than the rest of the stitches, that's a skipped stitch. I'd post a picture but don't really know how!

Oh, o.k. The only time I see a little bit longer stitching is when I suddenly drag the fabric too fast. It's end user error on my part.

Except in this case, you can see the hole the needle made when it went down, but it didn't pick up the bobbin thread and so it didn't make a stitch. Sometimes there are several holes, and then it starts stitching ok. It's intermittant.

I finally was able to take my machine in and the spring on the BSR was replaced and this immediately fixed my problem. I got the impression that this may be a recently recurring issue on newer bsr feet. when mine wasn't working properly, and I was determined to finish my quilt, I went ahead without the BSR and quilted free-motion on my own. It came out surprisingly well. Of course, I better not admit that to my "better half" after explaining to him how important the BSR feature was!

Thanks to everyone for suggestions and responding.

Quote Originally Posted by SusanS
    I finally was able to take my machine in and the spring on the BSR was replaced and this immediately fixed my problem. I got the impression that this may be a recently recurring issue on newer bsr feet. when mine wasn't working properly, and I was determined to finish my quilt, I went ahead without the BSR and quilted free-motion on my own. It came out surprisingly well. Of course, I better not admit that to my "better half" after explaining to him how important the BSR feature was!

Thanks to everyone for suggestions and responding.
    I am so glad that your problem has been solved. I understand where you are coming from about maybe not needing the BSR as much now. I have spoken to a lot of Bernina owners and many agree that the BSR gives one the confidence and nerve to try FMQ and then eventually it isn't needed as much if at all....kinda like training wheels! ;) I know I never would have had the nerve to try FMQ with out it....and am just not ready to take the training wheels off yet, although I did do some FMQ on some demo longarms at the quilt show and didn't do too awfully bad 8-)

Blog Entries
    Rachel, I would be interested to know how you worked out the problem with the BSR on the Berninia 440. I am having the exact experience you described, even to the point of the small quilt sandwich working fine but going to the quilt I continue to get the skipping. I have had my machine for two years and have had success with FMQ, but just in the past month have had problems.
    Roberta

Blog Entries
    Wow! Interesting reading about the BSR. I have an 820 and despite having taken it to the dealer and had the new spring put in, it is still skipping stitches. On a 42 by 48 inch quilt yesterday, it skipped 4 times. I also have an issue with the auto threader not threading at times. I have to rethread the whole thing numerous times to get it to work. I discovered yesterday that turning it off and back on and then rethreading worked. Go figure. I have mine set up on a Pinnacle quilt frame. I tried pushing quilts through by hand and I just didn't have the hand strength to do it. I do find this Bernina is quite picky about everything as compared to my old Janome 10,000 which just sews through anything with any needle and any thread at just about any tension and never skips a stitch! Too bad the throat is so small and it has no stitch regulator. Otherwise I'd never buy a Bernina!
    Judy

I had that problem with my BSR once when I was using the clear plastic foot piece. I realized that it really had alot of lint on it and that perhaps it was obstructing the vision of the "eye". So I cleaned it off well and it worked just fine from then on. What foot piece are you using?
    Beth in Maryland

I see this thread is over two years old so I hope someone sees my reply. I'm having the exact same problem that Rachelcb80 had. The needle goes up and down but the top thread doesn't catch in the bobbin. It'll stitch along just fine and then start skipping and it won't stop if I try to keep going with the intention of coming back to fix the stitches. I have a practice sandwich of the same fabrics, same batting, same spray basting, same thread, same settings, and it works fine. I notice on the quilt that the bobbin stitches are very long on the back. I've tightened up the top tension (to 5) and when it's stitching fine, the back looks good. But then the bobbin stitches get really long and next thing I know I've got an inch of loose thread on the top. I'm on the verge of throwing the whole darn quilt away - and it was a bear to sew as I appliqued on over 100 circles and it represents a huge investment of time. But the quilting is looking so bad at this point that I'm embarrassed to give it to my friend. I mean it's so bad that I'm thinking about putting it on my dog's bed. And that's bad. I've used my Aurora 440QE for 4 years and have experienced this problem several times, but it would stop doing it. I've changed the thread (using top quality threads), changed the needle, tried a different bobbin, rethread the top and bottom, cleaned it - but it simply will not cooperate on this particular quilt. This doesn't happen when I use the walking foot - just the BSR. It happens whether I'm using BSR1 or BSR2. Suggestions?

One other thing - I see that An Arm Long suggested that the foot might be causing a problem. I was using the open-toed metal foot but it kept catching on the long threads so I switched to the clear plastic foot. I don't think it's the BSR - but it only happens when I'm in BSR mode.

Aha! I'm new to the forum and just realized this was 9 pages long. LOL So I saw suggestions about the BSR spring & taking it to the dealer, so that's what I'm doing tomorrow. Hmmm I wonder if the spring has weakened over the 4 years I've been using it...

Try changing the needle. My BSR would sometimes skip stitches most of the time just changing the needle and rethreading the machine helped.

Kathie

Rachelcb80, I know this reply might be 2 years too late - but I found you thread when I was having the exact same problem as you were. I have a Bernina 830e and a bsr foot it would quilt perfectly on a quilt sandwich - but when I tried to do FMQ on my twin size quilt - it would keep skipping. It was driving me crazy - I really mean crazy - I tried everything - then I remembered reading somewhere to try a 90/14 stretch needle or ball point needle and I finally tried it and the amazing thing is that it worked. I now can actually FMQ and not have it skipping all the time.

I have been reading this thread with interest. I have a Bernina 153QE, no BSR and last Christmas I was trying to FMQ with nothing but skipped stitches. I was using a microfleece for a backing and the dealer said it was the backing so I ripped it all out and put on a different one (flannel) and it quilted perfect. I tell you I was pulling my hair out for a few days but some of these new fibers don't quilt well.
    Sam @ Samantha's House.blogspot.com
    SamanthasHouse @Etsy.com

Bernina 440 QE BSR

Hi there Rachel,
    I just recently bought a used Bernina 440QE and it came with the BSR. I'm working on it now, and I'm getting HUGE stitch jumps using BSR 1. After reading your posts and replies I changed to a Schmetz quilting needle, and I'm using Gutterman 100% cotton thread, and it is jumping big time. It stitches well, then suddenly, I get three huge jumps/skips within 4 inches. I will keep reading but I'm wondering what your final resolution was. Having bought this on eBay, I do know that the machine had very few sewing hours (like 5!) on it (found a youtube video that showed how to go into service mode), but based on the age of the machine and the BSR, wondering if it needs the updates.

Quote Originally Posted by Rachelcb80 View Post
    Interesting info, thanks Nursie! I knew a new spring was part of the update but I didn't know why. That makes a lot of sense. Wednesday I decided to stop ignoring my BSR and I put it back on my machine. I had just a little area left inside the pinwheels to quilt. It skipped a couple times but not as badly as it had before. Then Wednesday and Thursday I quilted the borders on my quilt and it never skipped one time. It never would skip on a fabric sandwich though and that's basically what my borders were. Anyways, I went in yesterday to my dealers store and talked with them. I told her I'd like to try it out on my next quilt and see if it did any better. If it continues to skip they'll do a once over on my machine and most likely replace the BSR. It's under warranty for a long time so I'm covered for awhile.

I feel a lot better about the whole thing after talking with my dealer. She really seemed to care and had actually tried calling me the day before. (I think she had the wrong number though because she said it was just music playing and playing. I don't have that on my phone.) I can tell they will do their best to make sure everything works right so I'm not as frantic about it all as I was a few days ago.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4