Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Bernina

Very thoughtful dh. He must have even researched before making the purchase because there is many good brands out there that he could have gone with but he picked one of the best for you. Take your time getting to know her and just tell yourself that she is not your other machine. Soon enough your Bernina and you will get to know each other just by sound. One point of advice, always unplug when you are done .

Congratulations. Berninas are very user friendly. Once you learn how to use it--you will love it. I have a Bernina 430 and the 5 series replaced teh 4 series so your 530 is very close to the same as my 430. I love my 430 adn will not part with it. I was overwhelmed when I first bought mine and I waited for classes so I could learn how to use it and I love it. My needle threader is also a little fussy. The needle needs to be in the right position like someone on here previously said--an then it works fine. I do have mine plugged into a Surge protector and I do also unplug it every time I am done using it. I am very attached to my Bernina and do not wnat anything to happen to it.

Congratulations on your new machine and your thoughtful husband. Mine would never give it a thought to get me a nice machine, so I got it myself. I just got a HV Topaz 20 and I don't even use the needle threader. For me, it's easier just to thread it myself. I'm having a really hard time getting use to the needle up/down going with the pressure foot up/down. Driving me batty. Forget about the embroidery part, I'm going to have to take the lessons for that. Have no clue how to use it. My old Viking #1 (about 20 years old) just wouldn't start one day. It's dead. I'm going to be selling off parts of it, if anyone is interested...bobbin case, throat plate, some feet, manuals

Oh you are one lucky lady!!! You'll love her. But then I'm a bernina girl . Sig right in and enjoy. They do a beautiful stitch and are workhorses. Some of the things that are intimidating now will be easy as you use and acclimate to her. I have a 630, 215, and 1008. (I do have a few janomes but my favorites and never give me hiccups are my berninas ). Have fun!
    From the heart
    Nancy

Blog Entries
    once you take some classes you will love love your Bernina I have the 440QE and it is wonderful I have done free motion work for many years but nothing has ever worked like the stitch regulator makes free motion so smooth and easy like that is what the machine was made for also the Bernina shops I have been in are all wonderful and very helpful people give your hubby a big hug go to classes and enjoy

I had to smile when I read about your concern. I bought a used Bernina and would not even turn it on for four months because I was so afraid of it. Now I'm having a love affair. I learn new things that it will do regularly. It was a year before I found out that it had a reverse button. Each time I learn something new, it's like a new gift. I hope you learn to love yours as much as I love mine.

Blog Entries
    I know exactly how you feel. Don't worry, you will learn everything. It is fun. I have a bernina 430 and was so intimidated by it. Now I just zippy dip. I am still learning about the stitches, and oh boy is that fun. Just sit down with the manual and go for it. It is not difficult. I love the automatic threader, I too thought Oh I will never get this, but I did the first time after I was showed how. Believe me just chill.

Blog Entries
    I too am still learning about mine and I have had it five years.

What a sweet hubby!!!! I have 2 Bernina's and I can't imagine quilting without them. I have had many different machines but the Bernina is top in my opinion. It is a work horse. Just don't even think about it until you take your classes. With time you will come to love it I'm sure.

Bernins

I want to encourage you to learn and love your new Bernina! I bought my first Bernina right after marriage in 1960 and in 52 years have only had four different Bernina's. I currently have the 440QE and I love it - would never own anything other than a Bernina. Being a quilting teacher, I see many students struggling and complaining but never the students who own a Bernina! Be patient but take as many lessons as you can.
    Kaaren
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

I have a Bernina 180 which is my travel machine and a 550. The needle threader is a little tricky and if you want to use it just keep plugging away. Most of the time I just thread mine manually. I should use the threader more often and get use to it. I got the 550 because the 180 has an embroidery module I've never used and I didn't need another machine with a feature I wouldn't use.

Nothing sews like a Bernina, nothing! I have a Bernina Activa and love it. Mine has several decorative stitches without all the other bells & whistles but I don't miss 'em at all. It sews that good!!!! Nobody touches my Bernina but me, nobody... Been sewing on it for years and haven't had it serviced yet but probably need to Love it!!

I have a bernina 550, which is just a work horse, and also bernina 830, and both are fabulous machines. Both machines have BSRegulators, and I love it for quilting. It is very important to keep your new machine clean and oiled every 8 hours of sewing. I especially love the 550, it is not as complicated as the 830 (embroidery machine). Once you have had your lessons, you will feel more comfortable and your machine will grow on you. I'm sure you are feeling overwhelmed, as I was, before the lessons. I think your husband made a great choice for you.
    Quilting People are the Best, Have a great sewing day!
    DonnaJ

Thank you all for your replies. Schoolteacher and I are going through the same experience. My mechanical Elna died a couple of years ago and I bought a gently used Bernina 1630 with owners manual and have been trying to fall in love with it ever since. I am determined that machine and I are going to become beyond good friends or even the best of friends but it is a tough go.

My next project is to figure out how to embroider words, the size I want them to be, with it.

I am determined and pig headed so it is going to happen. And your kindness and support are really appreciated.

All that "vini, vici ...." stuff and forward!

Pat

Congratulations on your new Bernina! I have the 150QE and just recently gifted myself with the 830. They are overwhelming, but my dealer is fantastic. I did take the beginning class which included threading, cleaning, etc. but I go in frequently and they demonstrate whatever I need. I've never had an embroidery machine, so that's a HUGE learning curve. U-tube is FULL of demo's which are amazing. My suggestion - leave both machines set up if you have the room. Tackle one issue at a time and get comfortable with it before trying another.
    Fay

"You can't help that. We're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland.

There's no such thing as a hard-to-learn Bernina. You will love it!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by schoolteacher View Post
    My husband bought me a Bernina 530 for Christmas. This was a gift that he bought without any hints or requests from me. In fact, it was the furtherest request on my Santa list. Now don't get me wrong, I am deeply grateful and excited, but am feeling alittle overwhelmed by it all. Have tried to thread it and use the auto thread and am even having trouble with that part. Even though I will be taking classes, I am afraid that he has given me a machine that will be difficult to use. I have been using a Viking that was bought in the 1970's. I quilt constantly and thoroughly enjoy the many steps. For those that have this machine or others in the Bernina family, how do you like it? What don't you like about it? I'm hoping that after taking classes, I can resume my enthusiasm but right now I totally feel overwhelmed/dumb/frustrated. Please, please, don't thinK I am ungrateful. I know that money is hard to come by so his generosity is deeply appreciated.

OH so sweet of him. Now give it time new thing are hard to get us to. After the class and you get to know it you will love it for ever

One of the most important features of my 440QE is the needle up/down with the button on the head of the machine. When I need to sew exactly into a corner, I can do the last few stitches with my thumb, and never over-shoot my stopping point.
    A feature that I need to learn is the presser foot up/down with the knee lever. I know several who do that and love it. It takes persistence and patience, and I should take the time to do that. Trouble is, my old machine is a 1956 Singer built into a desk with the foot pedal mounted on the side of the inside of the cabinet. I love that feature. My pedal is always there. And I use that machine a lot, too, so it is very easy to get confused between the two operations that happen with the same action.
    As for the needle threader, I love mine. But I find that the more I use starties/stoppies, the less I have to thread the needle.! ! ! LOL
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

I have a Bernina 820. I still have not had all the lessons on it but I can go in anytime for more lessons. I just decided that I wouldn't take more lessons until I'm ready to learn something new. This replaces my OLD Bernina 820 mechanical machine. The more you use it, the more you'll like it. Take those lessons!

I have the 440 QE and 1260. I wouldn't trade either one. Pretty much trouble free (knock on wood). : ) I wanted the BSR, that is the reason for purchasing the 440. You will love your machine once you've played with it. Enjoy!!

I have a 1630 and love it. A gift from a friend who has several

Quote Originally Posted by schoolteacher View Post
    My husband bought me a Bernina 530 for Christmas. This was a gift that he bought without any hints or requests from me. In fact, it was the furtherest request on my Santa list. Now don't get me wrong, I am deeply grateful and excited, but am feeling alittle overwhelmed by it all. Have tried to thread it and use the auto thread and am even having trouble with that part. Even though I will be taking classes, I am afraid that he has given me a machine that will be difficult to use. I have been using a Viking that was bought in the 1970's. I quilt constantly and thoroughly enjoy the many steps. For those that have this machine or others in the Bernina family, how do you like it? What don't you like about it? I'm hoping that after taking classes, I can resume my enthusiasm but right now I totally feel overwhelmed/dumb/frustrated. Please, please, don't thinK I am ungrateful. I know that money is hard to come by so his generosity is deeply appreciated.
    My DH bought me a Bernina 820 - 2 years ago & I was so afraid of it that I almost took it back. Thank goodness the dealer, who lives 3 hrs. away came to my home & spent 2 days with me & got me back on track. Take a few deep breaths & wait for your lessons - it will make a huge difference. I wouldn't part with my Bernina but it took some time. The only thing I didn't like about it was the price - here in Canada they run in the several thousands of dollars - mine was just over $7,000. with tax & she gave us a deal !! I'm sure you can get them cheaper in the U.S. Give it some time & you will soon love it.
    Dance like no one is watching

Blog Entries
    I just recently purchased at Bernina Artista 200/730E from a friend who's husband just got her the brand new 830. I am using it to piece and tried free motion quilting using the BSR and found it very easy to do. I start taking classes on it January 8th and can't wait. I've heard lots of good things about Bernina's. Many of my friends have them (older models) and they love them. Guess we are both in a learning curve, but I think we both will be presently surprised when we find out all we can do with our new machines. Congratulations on your Christmas present.

Hang in there and congrats on the new machine. My bernina dealer and their staff are very friendly and helpful, and I am sure yours will be also. I have a Bernina 440QE and I love it! Bernina machines sew such a lovely stitch, and they are built to last forever. I have the BSR foot, and there is a definate learning curve to that. I also have the 3 sole walking foot, which is awesomness! My other favorite foot is the Free Motion Couching foot, a must have if you like to do a lot of creative couching. Just learn one thing at a time and you will come to LOVE your new machine!

I have a Bernina 440EQ and love it. I have the BSR also but have not use it much. At first I did not use the needle threader and then my Husband help me to figure it out. I never took the lessons because I live to far from where I bought it. It only had 17 hrs on it and I bought it from a LQS shop. You will never want any other machine. Read the manual when you get to something you don't understand. You will be fine.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast